1. Reaven, GM (1988) Banting lecture 1988. Role of insulin resistance in human disease. Diabetes 37, 1595–1607.
2. Dandona, P, Aljada, A, Chaudhuri, A et al. (2005) Metabolic syndrome: a comprehensive perspective based on interactions between obesity, diabetes and inflammation. Circulation 111, 1448–1454.
3. Grundy, SM, Cleeman, JI, Daniels, SR et al. (2005) Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Scientific Statement. Circulation 112, 2735–2752.
4. Alberti, KG, Zimmet, P & Shaw, J (2006) Metabolic syndrome: a new world-wide definition. A Consensus Statement from the International Diabetes Federation. Diabet Med 23, 469–480.
5. Reaven, GM (2006) The metabolic syndrome: is this diagnosis necessary? Am J Clin Nutr 83, 1237–1247.
6. Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (2001) Executive summary of the third report of The National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA 285, 2486–2497.
7. Grundy, SM, Brewer, HB Jr, Cleeman, JI et al. (2004) Definition of metabolic syndrome: report of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute/American Heart Association conference on scientific issues related to definition. Circulation 109, 433–438.
8. Alberti, KG, Eckel, RH, Grundy, SM et al. (2009) Harmonizing the metabolic syndrome: a joint interim statement of the International Diabetes Federation Task Force on Epidemiology and Prevention; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; American Heart Association; World Heart Federation; International Atherosclerosis Society; and International Association for the Study of Obesity. Circulation 120, 1640–1645.
9. Grundy, SM (2007) Metabolic syndrome: a multiplex cardiovascular risk factor. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92, 399–404.
10. Isomaa, B, Almaren, P, Tuomi, T et al. (2001) Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality associated with the metabolic syndrome. Diabetes Care 24, 683–689.
11. Huang, PL (2009) A comprehensive definition for metabolic syndrome. Dis Model Mech 2, 231–237.
12. Lakka, HM, Laaksonen, DE, Lakka, TA et al. (2002) The metabolic syndrome and total and cardiovascular disease mortality in middle-aged men. JAMA 288, 2709–2716.
13. Maggi, S, Noale, M, Gallina, P et al. (2006) Metabolic syndrome, diabetes and cardiovascular disease in an elderly Caucasian cohort: the Italian Longitudinal Study on Aging. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 61, 505–510.
14. Bataille, V, Perret, B, Dallongeville, J et al. (2006) Metabolic syndrome and coronary heart disease risk in a population-based study of middle-aged men from France and Northern Ireland. A nested case–control study from the PRIME cohort. Diabetes Metab 32, 475–479.
15. Pischon, T, Hu, FB, Rexrode, KM et al. (2008) Inflammation, the metabolic syndrome and risk of coronary heart disease in women and men. Atherosclerosis 196, 392–399.
16. Taslim, S & Tai, ES (2009) The relevance of the metabolic syndrome. Ann Acad Med Singapore 38, 29–33.
17. Wannamethee, SG, Shaper, AG, Lennon, L et al. (2005) Metabolic syndrome vs. Framingham Risk Score for prediction of coronary heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Arch Intern Med 165, 2644–2650.
18. Balkau, B, Charles, MA, Drivsholm, T et al. (2002) Frequency of the WHO metabolic syndrome in European cohort, and an alternative definition of an insulin resistance syndrome. Diabetes Metab 28, 364–376.
19. Buckland, G, Salas-Salvadó, J, Roure, E et al. (2008) Sociodemographic risk factors associated with metabolic syndrome in a Mediterranean population. Public Health Nutr 11, 1372–1378.
20. Ford, ES, Mokdad, AH, Giles, WH et al. (2003) Serum total cholesterol concentrations and awareness, treatment, and control of hypercholesterolemia among US adults: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999 to 2000. Circulation 107, 2185–2189.
21. Azizi, F, Salehi, P, Etemadi, A et al. (2003) Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in an urban population: Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 61, 29–37.
22. Delavari, A, Forouzanfar, MH, Alikhani, S et al. (2009) First nationwide study of the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome and optimal cutoff points of waist circumference in the Middle East: the national survey of risk factors for noncommunicable diseases of Iran. Diabetes Care 32, 1092–1097.
23. Ramanchandran, A, Snehalatha, C, Satyavani, K et al. (2003) Metabolic syndrome in urban Asian Indian Adults: a population study using modified ATP criteria. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 61, 29–37.
24. Perez, CM, Guzman, M, Ortiz, AP et al. (2008) Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Ethn Dis 18, 434–441.
25. Mujica, V, Leiva, E, Icaza, G et al. (2008) Evaluation of metabolic syndrome in adults of Talca city, Chile. Nutr J 7, 14.
26. Pinzon, JB, Serrano, NC, Diaz, LA et al. (2007) Impact of the new definitions in the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in an adult population at Bucaramanga, Colombia. Biomedica 27, 172–179.
27. Medina-Lezama, J, Zea-Diaz, H, Morey-Vargas, OL et al. (2007) Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in Peruvian Andean Hispanics: the PREVENCION study. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 78, 270–281.
28. Tull, ES, Thurland, A & LaPorte, RE (2005) Síndrome metabólico en personas nacidas en el Caribe con residencia en las Islas Vírgenes estadounidenses. Rev Panam Salud Publica 18, 418–426.
29. Gomez, M, Ramirez, M & Disdier, O (2006) Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among a determined Puerto Rican population. P R Health Sci J 25, 111–116.
30. Florez, H, Silva, E, Fernandez, V et al. (2005) Prevalence and risk factors associated with the metabolic syndrome and dyslipidemia in White, Black, Amerindian and Mixed Hispanics in Zulia State, Venezuela. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 69, 63–77.
31. Aguilar-Salinas, CA, Rojas, R, Gomez-Perez, FJ et al. (2004) High prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Mexico. Arch Med Res 35, 76–81.
32. Marquezine, GF, Oliveira, CM, Pereira, AC et al. (2008) Metabolic syndrome determinants in an urban population from Brazil: social class and gender-specific interaction. Int J Cardiol 129, 259–265.
33. Velasquez-Melendez, G, Gazzinelli, A, Correa-Oliveira, R et al. (2007) Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in a rural area of Brazil. Sao Paulo Med J 125, 155–162.
34. Salaroli, LB, Barbosa, GC, Mill, JG et al. (2007) Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in population-based study, Vitoria, ES-Brazil. Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 51, 1143–1152.
35. Escobedo, J, Schargrodsky, H, Champagne, B et al. (2009) Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in Latin America and its association with sub-clinical carotid atherosclerosis: the CARMELA cross sectional study. Cardiovasc Diabetol 8, 52.
36. Santos, AC, Lopes, C & Barros, H (2005) Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in the city of Porto. Rev Port Cardiol 23, 45–52.
37. Magi, L, Stramenga, C, Morosini, P et al. (2005) Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among Italian adults. Findings from the SIMAP study. Recenti Prog Med 6, 280–283.
38. Hanson, R, Imperatore, G, Bennett, P et al. (2002) Components of the ‘metabolic syndrome’ and incidence of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 51, 3120–3127.
39. Schutte, AE, Shemesh, T, Rowley, K et al. (2005) The metabolic syndrome and changing relationship between blood pressure and insulin with age, as observed in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Diabet Med 22, 1589–1597.
40. Rodríguez-Morán, M, Guerrero-Romero, F, Brito-Zurita, O et al. (2008) Cardiovascular risk factors and acculturation in Yaquis and Tepehuanos Indians from Mexico. Arch Med Res 39, 352–357.
41. Meaney, E, Lara-Esqueda, A, Ceballos-Reyes, GM et al. (2007) Cardiovascular risk factor in the urban Mexican population: the FRIMEX study. Public Health 121, 378–384.
42. Schulz, LO, Bennet, PH, Ravussin, E et al. (2006) Effects of traditional and western environments on prevalence of type 2 diabetes in Pima Indians in Mexico and the US. Diabetes Care 29, 1866–1871.
43. Drewnowski, A (2007) What's next for nutrition labeling and health claims: an update of nutrition profiling in the European Union and the United States. Nutr Today 42, 206–214.
44. Popkin, B (2006) Global nutrition dynamics: the world is shifting rapidly toward a diet linked with noncommunicable diseases. Am J Clin Nutr 84, 289–298.
45. Colin, M & Loncar, D (2006) Projections of global mortality and burden of disease from 2002 to 2030. PLos Med 3, 2011–2030.