Levine, BJ (2008) The other causality question: estimating attributable fractions for obesity as a cause of mortality. Int J Obes (Lond) 32, Suppl. 3, S4–S7.
Greenberg, JA, Fontaine, K & Allison, DB (2007) Putative biases in estimating mortality attributable to obesity in the US population. Int J Obes (Lond) 31, 1449–1455.
Flegal, K, Carroll, MD, Ogden, CL et al. (2010) Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2008. JAMA 303, 235–241.
Allison, DB, Fontaine, KR, Manson, JE et al. (1999) Annual deaths attributable to obesity in the United States. JAMA 282, 1530–1538.
Stokes, A & Preston, SH (2016) Revealing the burden of obesity using weight histories. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 113, 572–577.
Montonen, J, Boeing, H, Schleicher, E et al. (2011) Association of changes in body mass index during earlier adulthood and later adulthood with circulating obesity biomarker concentrations in middle-aged men and women. Diabetologia 54, 1676–1683.
Alley, DE & Chang, VW (2010) Metabolic syndrome and weight gain in adulthood. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 65, 111–117.
8. Hoffmans, M, Kromhout, D & de Lezenne Coulander, C (1988) The impact of body mass index of 78,612 18-year old Dutch men on 32-year mortality from all causes. J Clin Epidemiol 41, 749–756.
9. DiPietro, L, Mossberg, H & Stunkard, A (1994) A 40-year history of overweight children in Stockholm: life-time overweight, morbidity, and mortality. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 18, 585–590.
Gunnell, DJ, Frankel, SJ, Nanchahal, K et al. (1998) Childhood obesity and adult cardiovascular mortality: a 57-y follow-up study based on the Boyd Orr cohort. Am J Clin Nutr 67, 1111–1118.
Ferraro, KF & Kelley-Moore, JA (2003) Cumulative disadvantage and health: long-term consequences of obesity? Am Sociol Rev 68, 707–729.
Houston, DK, Ding, J, Nicklas, BJ et al. (2009) Overweight and obesity over the adult life course and incident mobility limitation in older adults: the health, aging and body composition study. Am J Epidemiol 169, 927–936.
Stevens, J, Truesdale, KP, Wang, C-H et al. (2012) Body mass index at age 25 and all-cause mortality in whites and African Americans: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities study. J Adolesc Health 50, 221–227.
Davis, C, Williams, D, Oganov, R et al. (1996) Sex difference in high density lipoprotein cholesterol in six countries. Am J Epidemiol 143, 1100–1106.
Rehkopf, DH, Dow, WH & Rosero-Bixby, L (2010) Differences in the association of cardiovascular risk factors with education: a comparison of Costa Rica (CRELES) and the USA (NHANES). J Epidemiol Community Health 64, 821–828.
16. Wood, S (2006) Generalized Additive Models: An Introduction in R [BP Carlin, C Chatfield, M Tanner et al., editors]. Boca Raton, FL: Chapman & Hall/CRC.
17. Rosero Bixby, L, Brenes-Chamacho, G & Mendez-Chacon, E (2008) Obesidad, envejecimineto y mortalidad en Costa Rica. In Sociedad y Adulto Mayor en America Latina Estudios sobre Envejecimiento en la Region, pp. 117–138 [E Pelaez, editor]. Rio de Janeiro: UNFPA.
Houston, DK, Ding, J, Nicklas, BJ et al. (2009) Overweight and obesity over the adult life course and incident mobility limitation in older adults the health, aging and body composition study. Am J Epidemiol 169, 927–936.
van Dam, RM, Willett, WC, Manson, JE et al. (2006) The relationship between overweight in adolescence and premature death in women. Ann Intern Med 145, 91–97.
Perry, GS, Byers, TE, Mokdad, AH et al. (1995) The validity of self-reports of past body weights by US adults. Epidemiology 6, 61–66.
Fox, MP, Lash, TL & Greenland, S (2005) A method to automate probabilistic sensitivity analyses of misclassified binary variables. Int J Epidemiol 34, 1370–1376.
Lash, TL & Fink, AK (2003) Semi-automated sensitivity analysis to assess systematic errors in observational data. Epidemiology 14, 451–458.
Lash, TL & Silliman, RA (2000) A sensitivity analysis to separate bias due to confounding from bias due to predicting misclassification by a variable that does both. Epidemiology 11, 544–549.
Kawachi, I, Adler, NE & Dow, WH (2010) Money, schooling, and health: mechanisms and causal evidence. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1186, 56–68.
25. Rehkopf, D, Dow, WH, Gruenwald, T et al. (2012) Cardiovascular consequences of income change. In The Biological Consequences of Socioeconomic Inequalities, pp. 126–157 [B Wolfe, W Evans and T Seeman, editors]. New York: Russell Sage.
Zheng, Y, Manson, JE, Yuan, C et al. (2017) Associations of weight gain from early to middle adulthood with major health outcomes later in life. JAMA 318, 255–269.
Dowd, JB & Zajacova, A (2014) Long-term obesity and cardiovascular, inflammatory, and metabolic risk in US adults. Am J Prev Med 46, 578–584.