2. Trichopoulou, A, Costacou, T, Bamia, C et al. (2003) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and survival in a Greek population. N Engl J Med 348, 2599–2608.
3. Keys, A, Arvanis, C & Blackburn, H (1980) Seven Countries: A Multivariate Analysis of Death and Coronary Heart Disease. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
4. Willett, WC, Sacks, F, Trichopoulou, A et al. (1995) Mediterranean diet pyramid: a cultural model for healthy eating. Am J Clin Nutr 61, 6 Suppl., 1402S–1406S.
5. Bach-Faig, A, Berry, EM, Lairon, D et al.; Mediterranean Diet Foundation Expert Group (2011) Mediterranean diet pyramid today. Science and cultural updates. Public Health Nutr 14, 2274–2284.
6. Trichopoulou, A, Kouris-Blazos, A, Wahlqvist, ML et al. (1995) Diet and overall survival in elderly people. BMJ 311, 1457–1460.
7. Bach, A, Serra-Majem, L, Carrasco, JL et al. (2006) The use of indexes evaluating the adherence to the Mediterranean diet in epidemiological studies: a review. Public Health Nutr 9, 132–146.
8. Grosso, G, Marventano, S, Yang, J et al. (2015) A comprehensive meta-analysis on evidence of Mediterranean diet and cardiovascular disease: are individual components equal? Am J Clin Nutr 101, 783–793.
9. GBD 2015 DALYs and HALE Collaborators (2016) Global, regional, and national disability-adjusted life-years (DALYs) for 315 diseases and injuries and healthy life expectancy (HALE), 1990–2015: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015. Lancet 388, 1603–1658.
10. Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (2017) FAOSTAT database. http://www.fao.org/faostat/ (accessed December 2017).
11. United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, Institute for Statistics (2016) UIS.Stat. http://data.uis.unesco.org/ (accessed December 2017).
14. R Core Team (2017) R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. Vienna: R Foundation for Statistical Computing; available at https://www.R-project.org/
15. Estruch, R, Ros, E, Salas-Salvado, J et al.; PREDIMED Study Investigators (2013) Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with a Mediterranean diet. N Engl J Med 368, 1279–1290.
16. de Lorgeril, M, Renaud, S, Mamelle, N et al. (1994) Mediterranean α-linolenic acid-rich diet in secondary prevention of coronary heart disease. Lancet 343, 1454–1459.
17. de Lorgeril, M (2013) Mediterranean diet and cardiovascular disease: historical perspective and latest evidence. Curr Atheroscler Rep 15, 370.
18. Martinez-Gonzalez, MA & Bes-Rastrollo, M (2014) Dietary patterns, Mediterranean diet, and cardiovascular disease. Curr Opin Lipidol 25, 20–26.
19. Martinez-Gonzalez, MA, de la Fuente-Arrillaga, C, Nunez-Cordoba, JM et al. (2008) Adherence to Mediterranean diet and risk of developing diabetes: prospective cohort study. BMJ 336, 1348–1351.
20. Salas-Salvado, J, Bullo, M, Estruch, R et al. (2014) Prevention of diabetes with Mediterranean diets: a subgroup analysis of a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 160, 1–10.
21. Kastorini, CM, Milionis, HJ, Esposito, K et al. (2011) The effect of Mediterranean diet on metabolic syndrome and its components: a meta-analysis of 50 studies and 534,906 individuals. J Am Coll Cardiol 57, 1299–1313.
22. Couto, E, Boffetta, P, Lagiou, P et al. (2011) Mediterranean dietary pattern and cancer risk in the EPIC cohort. Br J Cancer 104, 1493–1499.
23. Buckland, G, Travier, N, Cottet, V et al. (2013) Adherence to the Mediterranean diet and risk of breast cancer in the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition cohort study. Int J Cancer 132, 2918–2927.
24. Sofi, F, Abbate, R, Gensini, GF et al. (2010) Accruing evidence on benefits of adherence to the Mediterranean diet on health: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr 92, 1189–1196.
25. Daniele, ND, Noce, A, Vidiri, MF et al. (2017) Impact of Mediterranean diet on metabolic syndrome, cancer and longevity. Oncotarget 8, 8947–8979.
26. Menotti, A, Kromhout, D, Puddu, PE et al. (2017) Baseline fatty acids, food groups, a diet score and 50-year all-cause mortality rates. An ecological analysis of the Seven Countries Study. Ann Med 49, 718–727.
27. Martínez-González, MA & Sánchez-Villegas, A (2004) The emerging role of Mediterranean diets in cardiovascular epidemiology: monounsaturated fats, olive oil, red wine or the whole pattern? Eur J Epidemiol 19, 9–13.
28. Davis, C, Bryan, J, Hodgson, J et al. (2015) Definition of the Mediterranean diet: a literature review. Nutrients 7, 9139–9153.
29. de Lorgeril, M, Salen, P, Martin, JL et al. (1999) Mediterranean diet, traditional risk factors, and the rate of cardiovascular complications after myocardial infarction: final report of the Lyon Diet Heart Study. Circulation 99, 779–785.
30. Kafatos, A, Verhagen, H, Moschandreas, J et al. (2000) Mediterranean diet of Crete: foods and nutrient content. J Am Diet Assoc 100, 1487–1493.
31. Buckland, G, González, CA, Agudo, A et al. (2009) Adherence to the Mediterranean diet and risk of coronary heart disease in the Spanish EPIC Cohort Study. Am J Epidemiol 170, 1518–1529.
32. Itsiopoulos, C, Brazionis, L, Kaimakamis, M et al. (2011) Can the Mediterranean diet lower HbA1c in type 2 diabetes? Results from a randomized cross-over study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 21, 740–747.
33. Guallar-Castillon, P, Rodriguez-Artalejo, F, Tormo, M et al. (2012) Major dietary patterns and risk of coronary heart disease in middle-aged persons from a Mediterranean country: the EPIC-Spain cohort study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 22, 192–199.
34. Fung, TT, Rexrode, KM, Mantzoros, CS et al. (2009) Mediterranean diet and incidence of and mortality from coronary heart disease and stroke in women. Circulation 119, 1093–1100.
35. Fidanza, AA & Fidanza, F (2004) Mediterranean Adequacy Index of Italian diets. Public Health Nutr 7, 937–941.
36. Dubowitz, T, Heron, M, Bird, CE et al. (2008) Neighborhood socioeconomic status and fruit and vegetable intake among Whites, Blacks, and Mexican-Americans in the United States. Am J Clin Nutr 87, 1883–1891.
37. Wang, X, Ouyang, Y & Liu, J (2014) Fruit and vegetable consumption and mortality from all causes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer: systematic review and dose–response meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. BMJ 349, g5472.
38. Chiva-Blanch, G, Arranz, S, Lamuela-Raventos, RM et al. (2013) Effects of wine, alcohol and polyphenols on cardiovascular disease risk factors: evidences from human studies. Alcohol Alcohol 48, 270–277.
39. Roerecke, M & Rehm, J (2012) The cardioprotective association of average alcohol consumption and ischaemic heart disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Addiction 107, 1246–1260.