Black, RE, Victora, CG, Walker, SP et al. (2013) Maternal and child undernutrition and overweight in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet 382, 427–451.
Black, RE, Allen, LH, Bhutta, ZA et al. (2008) Maternal and child undernutrition: global and regional exposures and health consequences. Lancet 371, 243–260.
Victora, CG, Adair, L, Fall, C et al. (2008) Maternal and child undernutrition: consequences for adult health and human capital. Lancet 371, 340–357.
Arifeen, S, Black, RE, Antelman, G et al. (2001) Exclusive breastfeeding reduces acute respiratory infection and diarrhea deaths among infants in Dhaka slums. Pediatrics 108, E67.
5. Bahl, R, Frost, C, Kirkwood, BR et al. (2005) Infant feeding patterns and risks of death and hospitalization in the first half of infancy: multicentre cohort study. Bull World Health Organ 83, 418–426.
Bhutta, ZA & Yusuf, K (1997) Early-onset neonatal sepsis in Pakistan: a case control study of risk factors in a birth cohort. Am J Perinatol 14, 577–581.
Ashraf, RN, Jalil, F, Zaman, S et al. (1991) Breastfeeding and protection against neonatal sepsis in a high risk population. Arch Dis Child 66, 488–490.
Victora, CG, Vaughan, JP, Lombardi, C et al. (1987) Evidence for protection by breast-feeding against infant deaths from infectious diseases in Brazil. Lancet 2, 319–321.
Edmond, KM, Zandoh, C, Quigley, MA et al. (2006) Delayed breastfeeding initiation increases risk of neonatal mortality. Pediatrics 117, 380–386.
11. Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India (2018) 2011 Census data. http://censusindia.gov.in (accessed October 2018).
12. Jelliffe, DB & Jelliffe, EP (1989) Community Nutritional Assessment. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Victora, CG, Huttly, SR, Fuchs, SC et al. (1997) The role of conceptual framework in epidemiological analysis: a hierarchical approach. Int J Epidemiol 26, 224–227.
14. World Health Organization (1983) Measuring Changes in Nutritional Status. Geneva: WHO.
15. World Health Organization (2006) Child Growth Standards. Length/Height for Age, Weight for Age, Weight for Length, Weight for Height and Body Mass Index for Age. Methods and Development. Geneva: WHO; available at http://www.who.int/childgrowth/en
16. UNICEF (2010) Progress for Children: Achieving the MDGs with Equity. Number 9, September 2010. New York: UNICEF.
17. International Institute for Population Sciences & ICF (2017)
National Family Health Survey (NFHS-4), 2015–16: India
. Mumbai: IIPS.
18. UNICEF (2011) Infant and Young Child Feeding: Programming Guide. Nutrition Section Programmes. New York: UNICEF.
19. Meshram, II, Mallikharjun Rao, K, Reddy, Gal et al. (2015) Influence of feeding practices and associated factors on nutritional status of infants in rural areas of Madhya Pradesh State, India. Asia Pac J Public Health 27, NP1345–NP1361.
Pokhrel, K, Nanishi, K, Poudel, KC et al. (2016) Undernutrition among infants and children in Nepal: maternal health services and their roles to prevent it. Matern Child Health J 20, 2037–2049.
21. Tayie, F & Lartey, A (2008) Antenatal care and pregnancy outcome in Ghana, the importance of women’s education. Afr J Food Agric Nutr Dev 8, 291–303.
22. Meshram, II, Laxmaiah, A, Venkaiah, K et al. (2012) Impact of feeding and breastfeeding practices on nutritional status of infants in the district of Andhra Pradesh, India. Natl Med J India 25, 201–206.
23. Bahl, R, Frost, C, Kirkwood, BR et al. (2005) Infant feeding patterns and risks of death and hospitalization in the first half of infancy: multicentre cohort study. Bull World Health Organ 83, 418–426.
Ogbo, FA, Agho, KE & Page, A (2015) Determinants of suboptimal breastfeeding practices in Nigeria: evidence from the 2008 demographic and health survey. BMC Public Health 15, 259.
Bharati, S, Pal, M, Chakrabarty, S et al. (2011) Trends in socioeconomic and nutritional status of children younger than 6 years in India. Asia Pac J Public Health 23, 324–340.
27. Mananga, MJ, Kana–Sop, MM, Nolla, NP et al. (2014) Feeding practices, food and nutrition insecurity of infants and their mothers in Bangang rural community, Cameroon. J Nutr Food Sci 4, 264.
Kumar, D, Goel, NK, Mittal, PC et al. (2006) Influence of infant-feeding practices on nutritional status of under-five children. Indian J Pediatr 73, 417–421.
29. Rasania, SK & Sachdev, TR (2001) Nutritional status and feeding practices of children attending MCH centre. Indian J Community Med 26, 1–7.
30. Bentley, A, Das, S, Alcock, G et al. (2015) Malnutrition and infant and young child feeding in informal settlements i
n Mumbai, India: findings from a census. Food Sci Nutr 3, 257–271.
Arimond, M & Ruel, MT (2004) Dietary diversity is associated with child nutritional status: evidence from 11 demographic and health surveys. J Nutr 134, 2579–2585.
Sakaa, M, Wemakor, A, Abizary, AR et al. (2015) How well do WHO complementary feeding indicators relate to nutritional status of children aged 6–23 months in rural Northern Ghana? BMC Public Health 15, 1157.