1. Sieri, S, Krogh, V, Pala, V et al. (2004) Dietary patterns and risk of breast cancer in the ORDET cohort. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13, 567–572.
2. Jacques, PF & Tucker, KL (2001) Are dietary patterns useful for understanding the role of diet in chronic disease? Am J Clin Nutr 73, 1–2.
3. Alves, AL, Olinto, MT, Costa, JS et al. (2006) Dietary patterns of adult women living in an urban area of southern Brazil. Rev Saude Publica 40, 865–873.
4. Fung, TT, Rimm, EB, Spiegelman, D et al. (2001) Association between dietary patterns and plasma biomarkers of obesity and cardiovascular disease risk. Am J Clin Nutr 73, 61–67.
5. Perozzo, G, Olinto, MT, Dias-da-Costa, JS et al. (2008) Association between dietary patterns and body mass index and waist circumference in women living in southern Brazil. Cad Saude Publica 24, 2427–2439.
6. Sichieri, R, Castro, JF & Moura, AS (2003) Factors associated with dietary patterns in the urban Brazilian population. Cad Saude Publica 19, Suppl. 1, S47–S53.
7. Cai, H, Zheng, W, Xiang, YB et al. (2007) Dietary patterns and their correlates among middle-aged and elderly Chinese men: a report from the Shanghai Men's Health Study. Br J Nutr 98, 1006–1013.
8. Correa Leite, ML, Nicolosi, A, Cristina, S et al. (2003) Dietary and nutritional patterns in an elderly rural population in Northern and Southern Italy: (I). A cluster analysis of food consumption. Eur J Clin Nutr 57, 1514–1521.
9. Wirfalt, E, Hedblad, B, Gullberg, B et al. (2001) Food patterns and components of the metabolic syndrome in men and women: a cross-sectional study within the Malmo Diet and Cancer cohort. Am J Epidemiol 154, 1150–1159.
10. Cunha, DB, de Almeida, RM, Sichieri, R et al. (2010) Association of dietary patterns with BMI and waist circumference in a low-income neighbourhood in Brazil. Br J Nutr 104, 908–913.
11. Neumann, AICP, Martins, IS, Marcopito, LF et al. (2007) Padrões alimentares associados a fatores de risco para doenças cardiovasculares entre residentes de um município brasileiro. Rev Panam Salud Publica 22, 329–339.
12. Marchioni, DM, Latorre Mdo, R, Eluf-Neto, J et al. (2005) Identification of dietary patterns using factor analysis in an epidemiological study in Sao Paulo. Sao Paulo Med J 123, 124–127.
13. Sichieri, R (2002) Dietary patterns and their associations with obesity in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro. Obes Res 10, 42–48.
14. Ministério da Saúde Brasil (2006) Guia Alimentar para a População Brasileira: Promovendo a Alimentação Saudável. Brasília: Ministério da Saúde.
16. Sichieri, R & Everhart, J (1998) Validity of a Brazilian food frequency questionnaire against dietary recalls and estimated energy intake. Nutr Res 18, 1649–1659.
17. Cattell, R (1966) The scree test for the number of factors. Multivariate Behav Res 1, 245–276.
18. Pryer, JA, Nichols, R, Elliott, P et al. (2001) Dietary patterns among a national random sample of British adults. J Epidemiol Community Health 55, 29–37.
19. McNaughton, SA, Mishra, GD, Stephen, AM et al. (2007) Dietary patterns throughout adult life are associated with body mass index, waist circumference, blood pressure, and red cell folate. J Nutr 137, 99–105.
20. Mishra, GD, McNaughton, SA, Bramwell, GD et al. (2006) Longitudinal changes in dietary patterns during adult life. Br J Nutr 96, 735–744.
21. Lenz, A, Olinto, MT, Dias-da-Costa, JS et al. (2009) Socioeconomic, demographic and lifestyle factors associated with dietary patterns of women living in southern Brazil. Cad Saude Publica 25, 1297–1306.
22. Mullie, P, Clarys, P, Hulens, M et al. (2010) Dietary patterns and socioeconomic position. Eur J Clin Nutr 64, 231–238.
23. Kesse-Guyot, E, Bertrais, S, Peneau, S et al. (2009) Dietary patterns and their sociodemographic and behavioural correlates in French middle-aged adults from the SU.VI.MAX cohort. Eur J Clin Nutr 63, 521–528.
24. Pérez-Escamilla, R, Segall-Corrêa, AM, Kurdian Maranha, L et al. (2004) An adapted version of the US Department of Agriculture Food Insecurity module is a valid tool for assessing household food insecurity in Campinas, Brazil. J Nutr 134, 1923–1928.