1. Barone, JJ & Roberts, HR (1996) Caffeine consumption. Food Chem Toxicol 34, 119–129.
2. Graham, DM (1978) Caffeine – its identity, dietary sources, intake and biological effects. Nutr Rev 36, 97–102.
3. McCusker, RR, Goldberger, BA & Cone, EJ (2006) Caffeine content of energy drinks, carbonated sodas, and other beverages. J Anal Toxicol 30, 112–114.
4. Carrillo, JA & Benitez, J (2000) Clinically significant pharmacokinetic interactions between dietary caffeine and medications. Clin Pharmacokinet 39, 127–153.
5. Nawrot, P, Jordan, S, Eastwood, J et al. (2003) Effects of caffeine on human health. Food Addit Contam 20, 1–30.
6. Higdon, JV & Frei, B (2006) Coffee and health: a review of recent human research. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 46, 101–123.
7. Cornelis, MC & El-Sohemy, A (2007) Coffee, caffeine, and coronary heart disease. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 10, 745–751.
8. Lopez-Garcia, E, van Dam, RM, Rajpathak, S et al. (2006) Changes in caffeine intake and long-term weight change in men and women. Am J Clin Nutr 83, 674–680.
9.The EU Scientific Committee for Food (1999) Opinion on Caffeine, Taurine and d-Glucurono-γ-Lactone as constituents of so-called ‘energy’ drinks (expressed on 21 January 1999). http://ec.europa.eu/food/fs/sc/scf/out22_en.html (accessed December 2008).
12. Derbyshire, E & Abdula, S (2008) Habitual caffeine intake in women of reproductive age. J Hum Nutr Diet 21, 159–164.
13. Cotton, PA, Subar, AF, Friday, JE et al. (2004) Dietary sources of nutrients among US adults, 1994 to 1996. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 921–930.
14. Frary, CD, Johnson, RK & Wang, MQ (2005) Food sources and intakes of caffeine in the diets of persons in the United States. J Am Diet Assoc 105, 110–113.
16. Science and Technology Agency (2005) Standard Tables of Food Composition in Japan, 5th ed. Tokyo: Printing Bureau of the Ministry of Finance (in Japanese).
17. Japan Soft Drink Association (2008) Data of Soft Drink-related Statistics. Tokyo: Japan Soft Drink Association (in Japanese).
18. Kizu, J, Kimoto, K, Arakawa, Y et al. (1998) Caffeine content of canned beverages and sustained high plasma concentration of caffeine after intake. Chromatography 19, 217–224 (in Japanese).
19. Maekawa, H, Yamazaki, Y & Yagasaki, K (1993) Extraction of theobromine and caffeine in the cocoa powder by DMSO (Report I). Rep Central Customs Lab 32, 93–96 (in Japanese).
20. Terada, H, Suzuki, A, Tanaka, H et al. (1992) Determination of catechins and methyxanthines in foodstuffs by semi-micro high performance liquid chromatography. J Food Hyg Soc Jpn (Shokuhin Eiseigaku Zasshi) 33, 347–354 (in Japanese).
21. Oyagi, M (1988) Analysis of tea: measurement methods for caffeine contents in tea by high performance liquid chromatography. Den-en chofu Univ J 21, 216–243 (in Japanese).
23. Goto, T, Nagashima, H, Yoshida, Y et al. (1996) Contents of individual tea catechins and caffeine in Japanese green tea. Tea Res J 83, 21–28 (in Japanese).
24. Goto, T, Horie, H, Ozeki, Y et al. (1994) Chemical composition of Japanese green teas on market. Tea Res J 80, 23–28 (in Japanese).
25. Ikegaya, K (1985) Determination of caffeine in tea by high performance liquid chromatography. Nippon Shokuhin Kogyo Gakkaishi 32, 61–66 (in Japanese).
26. Kishi, H (2008) Measurements of contents of caffeine and theobromine in chocolate products and chewing gums. Bull Kanagawa Prefectural Inst Public Health 38, 23–25 (in Japanese).
27. Kishi, H, Tsuchiya, H & Hirayama, K (2005) Determination of catachins, caffeine, and theanine in Chinese tea bought by internet. Bull Kanagawa Prefectural Inst Public Health 35, 30–32 (in Japanese).
28. Kunugi, A, Aoki, T & Kunigi, S (1988) Determination of caffeine in coffee, black tea and green tea by high performance liquid chromatography. J Food Hyg Soc Jpn (Shokuhin Eiseigaku Zasshi) 29, 136–140 (in Japanese).
29. Moriyasu, T, Saito, K, Nakazato, M et al. (1996) Survey of caffeine, theobromine and theophylline in foods. J Food Hyg Soc Jpn (Shokuhin Eiseigaku Zasshi) 37, 59–63 (in Japanese).
30. Fukuhara, K, Matsuki, Y & Nanbara, T (1985) Simultaneous determination of theobromine, theophylline, and caffeine in foods by high performance liquid chromatography. J Food Hyg Soc Jpn (Shokuhin Eiseigaku Zasshi) 26, 208–212 (in Japanese).
31. Shimizu, H & Watanabe, Y (1992) Determination of caffeine in tea leaf infusion by high performance liquid chromatography. Gifu City Women’s Coll J 42, 33–38 (in Japanese).
32. Hino, C, Miura, T, Umeda, H et al. (2005) Differentiation of tea categories by the composition of tea polyphenols and caffeine. Rep Central Customs Lab 24, 23–32 (in Japanese).
33. Kuwano, K & Mitamura, T (1986) HPLC determination of caffeine in marketed green tea. Nippon Nogeikagaku Kaishi 60, 115–117 (in Japanese).
34. Nishizawa, M, Chonan, T, Sekijo, I et al. (1982) Quantitative determination of caffeine, theobromine and theophylline in tea, coffee and cocoa by high performance liquid chromatography. Bull Hokkaido Prefectural Inst Public Health 32, 7–11 (in Japanese).
35. Chonan, T, Nishizawa, M & Sekijo, I (1983) Caffeine, theobromine and theophylline contents of confectioneries and beverages. Bull Hokkaido Prefectural Inst Public Health 33, 84–86 (in Japanese).
36. Terada, S, Maeda, Y, Masui, T et al. (1987) Comparison of caffeine and catechin components in infusion of various tea (green, oolong and black tea) and tea drinks. Nippon Shokuhin Kogyo Gakkaishi 34, 20–27 (in Japanese).
37. Terada, H & Sakabe, Y (1984) High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of theobromine, theophylline and caffeine in food products. J Chromatogr 291, 453–459 (in Japanese).
38. Konno, S, Kanbara, Y & Bunbayashi, R (2000) Caffeine analysis of tea. Kinran Coll Res J 31, 131–134 (in Japanese).
39. Sumitani, H, Suekane, S, Nakatani, A et al. (1994) Quantitative determination of caffeine in commercially canned black tea drink with milk. Res Rep Toyo Food Lab 20, 149–154 (in Japanese).
40. Gilbert, RM (1984) The Methylxanthine Beverages and Foods: Chemistry, Consumption, and Health Effects, pp. 185–213. New York: Alan R. Liss, Inc.
41. Murakami, K, Sasaki, S, Takahashi, Y et al. (2008) Reproducibility and relative validity of dietary glycaemic index and load assessed with a self-administered diet-history questionnaire in Japanese adults. Br J Nutr 99, 639–643.
42. Black, AE, Coward, WA, Cole, TJ et al. (1996) Human energy expenditure in affluent societies: an analysis of 574 doubly-labelled water measurements. Eur J Clin Nutr 50, 72–92.
43. Trabulsi, J & Schoeller, DA (2001) Evaluation of dietary assessment instruments against doubly labeled water, a biomarker of habitual energy intake. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 281, E891–E899.