1. Musolino, R, La Spina, P, Serra, S et al. (2005) First-ever stroke incidence and 30-day case fatality in the Sicilian Aeolian archipelago, Italy. Stroke 36, 2738–2741.
2. Gallitto, G, Serra, S, La Spina, P et al. (2005) Prevalence and characteristics of epilepsy in the Aeolian islands. Epilepsia 46, 1828–1835.
3. Morgante, L, Nicoletti, A, Epifanio, A et al. (2008) Prevalence of Parkinson’s disease and other types of parkinsonism in the Aeolian Archipelago, Sicily. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 14, 572–575.
4. Gerber, M & Hoffman, R (2015) The Mediterranean diet: health, science and society. Br J Nutr 113, Suppl. 2, S4–S10.
5. Vasto, S, Barera, A, Rizzo, C et al. (2014) Mediterranean diet and longevity: an example of nutraceuticals? Curr Vasc Pharmacol 12, 735–738.
6. Park, YM, Steck, SE, Fung, TT et al. (2016) Mediterranean diet and mortality risk in metabolically healthy obese and metabolically unhealthy obese phenotypes. Int J Obes (Lond) 40, 1541–1549.
7. Ravera, A, Carubelli, V, Sciatti, E et al. (2016) Nutrition and cardiovascular disease: finding the perfect recipe for cardiovascular health. Nutrients 8, E363.
8. Ros, E, Martinez-Gonzalez, MA, Estruch, R et al. (2014) Mediterranean diet and cardiovascular health: teachings of the PREDIMED study. Adv Nutr 5, issue 3, 330S–336S.
9. Alkerwi, A, Vernier, C, Crichton, GE et al. (2015) Cross-comparison of diet quality indices for predicting chronic disease risk: findings from the Observation of Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Luxembourg (ORISCAV-LUX) study. Br J Nutr 113, 259–269.
10. Giacosa, A, Barale, R, Bavaresco, L et al. (2013) Cancer prevention in Europe: the Mediterranean diet as a protective choice. Eur J Cancer Prev 22, 90–95.
11. Estruch, R, Ros, E, Salas-Salvadó, J et al. (2013) Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with a Mediterranean diet. N Engl J Med 368, 1279–1290.
12. Sofi, F, Cesari, F, Abbate, R et al. (2008) Adherence to Mediterranean diet and health status: meta-analysis. BMJ 337, 673–675.
13. Tsivgoulis, G, Judd, S, Letter, AJ et al. (2013) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and risk of incident cognitive impairment. Neurology 80, 1684–1692.
14. Singh, B, Parsaik, AK, Mielke, MM et al. (2014) Association of Mediterranean diet with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer’s disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Alzheimers Dis 39, 271–282.
15. Alcalay, RN, Gu, Y, Mejia-Santana, H et al. (2012) The association between Mediterranean diet adherence and Parkinson’s disease. Mov Disord 27, 771–774.
16. Psaltopoulou, T, Sergentanis, TN, Panagiotakos, DB et al. (2013) Mediterranean diet, stroke, cognitive impairment, and depression: a meta-analysis. Ann Neurol 74, 580–591.
17. Lourida, I, Soni, M, Thompson-Coon, J et al. (2013) Mediterranean diet, cognitive function, and dementia: a systematic review. Epidemiology 24, 479–489.
18. He, K, Song, Y, Daviglus, ML et al. (2004) Fish consumption and incidence of stroke: a meta-analysis of cohort studies. Stroke 35, 1538–1542.
19. He, FJ, Nowson, CA & MacGregor, GA (2006) Fruit and vegetable consumption and stroke: meta-analysis of cohort studies. Lancet 367, 320–326.
20. Martínez-González, MA, Dominguez, LJ & Delgado-Rodríguez, M (2014) Olive oil consumption and risk of CHD and/or stroke: a meta-analysis of case–control, cohort and intervention studies. Br J Nutr 112, 248–259.
21. Tsivgoulis, G, Psaltopoulou, T, Wadley, VG et al. (2015) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and prediction of incident stroke. Stroke 46, 780–785.
22. Demarin, V, Lisak, M & Morovic, S (2011) Mediterranean diet in healthy lifestyle and prevention of stroke. Acta Clin Croat 50, 67–77.
23. Misirli, G, Benetou, V, Lagiou, P et al. (2012) Relation of the traditional Mediterranean diet to cerebrovascular disease in a Mediterranean population. Am J Epidemiol 176, 1185–1192.
24. Zhang, X, Shu, L, Si, C et al. (2015) Dietary patterns and risk of stroke in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 24, 2173–2182.
25. Strazzullo, P, Scalfi, L, Branca, F et al. (2004) Nutrition and prevention of ischemic stroke: present knowledge, limitations and future perspectives. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 14, 97–114.
26. De Lorgeril, M, Salen, P, Martin, JL et al. (1999) Mediterranean diet, traditional risk factors, and the rate of cardiovascular complications after myocardial infarction: final report of the Lyon Diet Heart Study. Circulation 99, 779–785.
27. Martínez-González, MA, Salas-Salvadó, J, Estruch, R et al. (2015) Benefits of the Mediterranean diet: insights from the PREDIMED Study. Prog Cardiovasc Dis 58, 50–60.
28. Buscemi, S, Rosafio, G, Vasto, S et al. (2015) Validation of a food frequency questionnaire for use in Italian adults living in Sicily. Int J Food Sci Nutr 66, 426–438.
29. Politi, PL, Piccinelli, M & Wilkinson, G (1994) Reliability, validity and factor structure of the 12‐item General Health Questionnaire among young males in Italy. Acta Psychiatr Scand 90, 432–437.
30. Keys, A, Menott, A, Karvonen, MJ et al. (1986) The diet and 15-year death rate in the Seven Countries Study. Am J Epidemiol 185, 1130–1142.
31. Iso, H (2001) Intake of fish and omega-3 fatty acids and risk of stroke in women. JAMA 285, 304–312.
32. Bouzan, C, Cohen, JT, Connor, WE et al. (2005) A quantitative analysis of fish consumption and stroke risk. Am J Prev Med 29, 347–352.
33. Chowdhury, R, Stevens, S, Gorman, D et al. (2012) Association between fish consumption, long chain omega 3 fatty acids, and risk of cerebrovascular disease: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 345, e6698.
34. Siegel, G & Ermilov, E (2012) Omega-3 fatty acids: benefits for cardio-cerebro-vascular diseases. Atherosclerosis 225, 291–295.
35. Joshipura, KJ, Ascherio, A, Manson, JE et al. (1999) Fruit and vegetable intake in relation to risk of ischemic stroke. JAMA 282, 1233–1239.
36. Dauchet, L, Amouyel, P & Dallongeville, J (2005) Fruit and vegetable consumption and risk of stroke: a meta-analysis of cohort studies. Neurology 65, 1193–1197.
37. Hu, D, Huang, J, Wang, Y et al. (2014) Fruits and vegetables consumption and risk of stroke: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. Stroke 45, 1613–1619.
38. He, J (1999) Dietary sodium intake and subsequent risk of cardiovascular disease in overweight adults. JAMA 282, 2027–2034.
39. Tuomilehto, J, Jousilahti, P, Rastenyte, D et al. (2001) Urinary sodium excretion and cardiovascular mortality in Finland: a prospective study. Lancet 357, 848–851.
40. Nagata, C, Takatsuka, N, Shimizu, N et al. (2004) Sodium intake and risk of death from stroke in Japanese men and women. Stroke 35, 1543–1547.
41. Iso, H, Stampfer, MJ, Manson, JE et al. (1999) Prospective study of calcium, potassium, and magnesium intake and risk of stroke in women. Stroke 30, 1772–1779.
42. Abbott, RD, Curb, JD, Rodriguez, BL et al. (1996) Effect of dietary calcium and milk consumption on risk of thromboembolic stroke in older middle-aged men. The Honolulu Heart Program. Stroke 27, 813–818.
43. Umesawa, M, Iso, H, Date, C et al. (2006) Dietary intake of calcium in relation to mortality from cardiovascular disease: the JACC study. Stroke 37, 20–26.
44. Aaron, KJ & Sanders, PW (2013) Role of dietary salt and potassium intake in cardiovascular health and disease: a review of the evidence. Mayo Clin Proc 88, 987–995.
45. Jayedi, A, Ghomashi, F, Zargar, MS et al. (2018) Dietary sodium, sodium-to-potassium ratio, and risk of stroke: a systematic review and nonlinear dose–response meta-analysis. Clin Nutr. Published online: 1 June 2018. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2018.05.017.
46. Sluijs, I, Czernichow, S, Beulens, JWJ et al. (2014) Intakes of potassium, magnesium, and calcium and risk of stroke. Stroke 45, 1148–1150.
47. Adebamowo, SN, Spiegelman, D, Willett, WC et al. (2015) Association between intakes of magnesium, potassium, and calcium and risk of stroke: 2 cohorts of US women and updated meta-analyses. Am J Clin Nutr 101, 1269–1277.
48. Vinceti, M, Filippini, T, Crippa, A et al. (2016) Meta-analysis of potassium intake and the risk of stroke. J Am Heart Assoc 5, e004210.
49. D’Elia, L, Iannotta, C, Sabino, P et al. (2014) Potassium-rich diet and risk of stroke: updated meta-analysis. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 24, 585–587.
50. Willey, J, Gardener, H, Cespedes, S et al. (2017) Dietary sodium to potassium ratio and risk of stroke in a multiethnic urban population: the northern Manhattan study. Stroke 48, 2979–2983.
51. Schwingshackl, L & Hoffmann, G (2014) Monounsaturated fatty acids, olive oil and health status: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies. Lipids Health Dis 13, 154.
52. Covas, M-I, Konstantinidou, V & Fitó, M (2009) Olive oil and cardiovascular health. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 54, 477–482.
53. Larsson, SC (2013) Dietary fats and other nutrients on stroke. Curr Opin Lipidol 24, 41–48.
54. Reynolds, K, Lewis, B, Nolen, JDL et al. (2003) Alcohol consumption and risk of stroke. JAMA 289, 579–588.
55. Patra, J, Taylor, B, Irving, H et al. (2010) Alcohol consumption and the risk of morbidity and mortality for different stroke types – a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Public Health 10, 258.
56. Lakkur, S & Judd, SE (2015) Diet and stroke. Stroke 46, 2007–2011.
57. Gariballa, SE (2000) Nutritional factors in stroke. Br J Nutr 84, 5–17.