The last decade has seen an explosion in educational reform initiatives to improve educational quality, including programs in which colleges and universities join together with public schools to support local education. The work of Boston University in supervising the Chelsea Public Schools is among the best known. These cooperative efforts are not new, however, and have a long history in the Boston area. In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, Harvard and its faculty played an important role in founding, supporting, and supervising the Cambridge grammar school. Like many cooperative activities today, the two institutions were brought together through philanthropy. In 1726, the executors of the Edward Hopkins legacy entrusted Harvard with funds to support both divinity scholars at the college and Latin students at the grammar school. As administrator for the funds, the Harvard Corporation sat as de facto overseers for the school, designating the Hopkins scholars at the school, conducting annual visitations, and providing partial financial support for the schoolmaster.