Skip to main content Accessibility help
×
Home

Evaluation of fusion in a PEEK cage after anterior cervical discectomy and fusion

  • M Voisin (a1), F Saunders (a1), D Yen (a1) and P Fenton (a1)

Abstract

Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF) is the gold standard treatment for cervical spondylosis but there is a lack of consensus in the literature regarding which type of bone graft is superior: autograft or allograft. The purpose of this study is to evaluate fusion after ACDF using a stand-alone intervertebral cage packed with autologous cervical bone shavings acquired during the procedure. Twenty patients that underwent single-level ACDF from 2011 to 2014 using a stand-alone polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cage were recruited. Patients were evaluated for evidence of bone fusion by plain films and CT scan. Fusion was primarily assessed by grading the level of trabecular bridging bone across the bone-graft interface. Odom’s criteria were used to assess clinical outcome. All interbody disc spaces achieved successful fusion at follow-up. A total of 80% (16/20) of patients had radiographic evidence of trabecular bone present both within and around the cage. The other 20% exhibited bridging bone within the cage but had evidence of minor radiolucent gaps and lack of bridging bone completely surrounding the cage. Eighty percent of patients reported excellent/good clinical outcomes. ACDF using a PEEK stand-alone cage with autograft bone shavings has a high rate of fusion and avoids potential complications of classic autograft harvesting and decreased allograft fusion rates.

    • Send article to Kindle

      To send this article to your Kindle, first ensure no-reply@cambridge.org is added to your Approved Personal Document E-mail List under your Personal Document Settings on the Manage Your Content and Devices page of your Amazon account. Then enter the ‘name’ part of your Kindle email address below. Find out more about sending to your Kindle. Find out more about sending to your Kindle.

      Note you can select to send to either the @free.kindle.com or @kindle.com variations. ‘@free.kindle.com’ emails are free but can only be sent to your device when it is connected to wi-fi. ‘@kindle.com’ emails can be delivered even when you are not connected to wi-fi, but note that service fees apply.

      Find out more about the Kindle Personal Document Service.

      Evaluation of fusion in a PEEK cage after anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
      Available formats
      ×

      Send article to Dropbox

      To send this article to your Dropbox account, please select one or more formats and confirm that you agree to abide by our usage policies. If this is the first time you use this feature, you will be asked to authorise Cambridge Core to connect with your <service> account. Find out more about sending content to Dropbox.

      Evaluation of fusion in a PEEK cage after anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
      Available formats
      ×

      Send article to Google Drive

      To send this article to your Google Drive account, please select one or more formats and confirm that you agree to abide by our usage policies. If this is the first time you use this feature, you will be asked to authorise Cambridge Core to connect with your <service> account. Find out more about sending content to Google Drive.

      Evaluation of fusion in a PEEK cage after anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
      Available formats
      ×

Copyright

Evaluation of fusion in a PEEK cage after anterior cervical discectomy and fusion

  • M Voisin (a1), F Saunders (a1), D Yen (a1) and P Fenton (a1)

Metrics

Full text views

Total number of HTML views: 0
Total number of PDF views: 0 *
Loading metrics...

Abstract views

Total abstract views: 0 *
Loading metrics...

* Views captured on Cambridge Core between <date>. This data will be updated every 24 hours.

Usage data cannot currently be displayed.