1. Dasaraju, PV & Liu, C (1996) Infections of the respiratory system. In Medical Microbiology, 4th ed. [S Baron, editor]. Galveston, TX: University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston.
2. Fendrick, AM, Monto, AS, Nightengale, B, et al. (2003) The economic burden of non-influenza-related viral respiratory tract infection in the United States. Arch Intern Med 163, 487–494.
3. Johnston, SL (2005) Overview of virus-induced airway disease. Proc Am Thorac Soc 2, 150–156.
4. Gulliford, MC, Dregan, A, Moore, MV, et al. (2014) Continued high rates of antibiotic prescribing to adults with respiratory tract infection: survey of 568 UK general practices. BMJ Open 4, e006245.
5. Brockman-Schneider, RA, Pickles, RJ & Gern, JE (2014) Effects of vitamin D on airway epithelial cell morphology and rhinovirus replication. PLOS ONE 9, e86755.
6. Hansdottir, S, Monick, MM, Lovan, N, et al. (2010) Vitamin D decreases respiratory syncytial virus induction of NF-kappaB-linked chemokines and cytokines in airway epithelium while maintaining the antiviral state. J Immunol 184, 965–974.
7. Greiller, CL & Martineau, AR (2015) Modulation of the immune response to respiratory viruses by vitamin D. Nutrients 7, 4240–4270.
8. Schogler, A, Muster, RJ, Kieninger, E, et al. (2016) Vitamin D represses rhinovirus replication in cystic fibrosis cells by inducing LL-37. Eur Respir J 47, 520–530.
9. Telcian, AG, Zdrenghea, MT, Edwards, MR, et al. (2017) Vitamin D increases the antiviral activity of bronchial epithelial cells in vitro
. Antiviral Res 137, 93–101.
10. Jolliffe, DA, Griffiths, CJ & Martineau, AR (2013) Vitamin D in the prevention of acute respiratory infection: systematic review of clinical studies. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 136, 321–329.
11. Martineau, AR, Cates, CJ, Urashima, M, et al. (2016) Vitamin D for the management of asthma. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, issue 9, CD011511.
12. Martineau, AR, Jolliffe, DA, Hooper, RL, et al. (2017) Vitamin D supplementation to prevent acute respiratory tract infections: systematic review and meta-analysis of individual participant data. BMJ 356, i6583.
13. Jolliffe, DA, Greenberg, L, Hooper, RL, et al. (2017) Vitamin D supplementation to prevent asthma exacerbations: a systematic review and meta-analysis of individual participant data. Lancet Respir Med 5, 881–890.
14. van Etten, E, Verlinden, L, Giulietti, A, et al. (2007) The vitamin D receptor gene FokI polymorphism: functional impact on the immune system. Eur J Immunol 37, 395–405.
15. Janssen, R, Bont, L, Siezen, CL, et al. (2007) Genetic susceptibility to respiratory syncytial virus bronchiolitis is predominantly associated with innate immune genes. J Infect Dis 196, 826–834.
16. Kresfelder, TL, Janssen, R, Bont, L, et al. (2011) Confirmation of an association between single nucleotide polymorphisms in the VDR gene with respiratory syncytial virus related disease in South African children. J Med Virol 83, 1834–1840.
17. Roth, DE, Jones, AB, Prosser, C, et al. (2008) Vitamin D receptor polymorphisms and the risk of acute lower respiratory tract infection in early childhood. J Infect Dis 197, 676–680.
18. Han, WG, Hodemaekers, HM, Nagarajah, B, et al. (2016) Association of vitamin D receptor polymorphism with susceptibility to symptomatic pertussis. PLOS ONE 11, e0149576.
19. Martineau, AR, MacLaughlin, BD, Hooper, RL, et al. (2015) Double-blind randomised placebo-controlled trial of bolus-dose vitamin D3 supplementation in adults with asthma (ViDiAs). Thorax 70, 451–457.
20. Martineau, AR, James, WY, Hooper, RL, et al. (2015) Vitamin D3 supplementation in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (ViDiCO): a multicentre, double-blind, randomised controlled trial. Lancet Respir Med 3, 120–130.
21. Martineau, AR, Hanifa, Y, Witt, KD, et al. (2015) Double-blind randomised controlled trial of vitamin D3 supplementation for the prevention of acute respiratory infection in older adults and their carers (ViDiFlu). Thorax 70, 953–960.
22. Custovic, A, Simpson, BM, Murray, CS, et al. (2002) The National Asthma Campaign Manchester Asthma and Allergy Study. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 13, Suppl. 15, 32–37.
23. Belgrave, DC, Simpson, A, Semic-Jusufagic, A, et al. (2013) Joint modeling of parentally reported and physician-confirmed wheeze identifies children with persistent troublesome wheezing. J Allergy Clin Immunol 132, 575–583.e12.
24. Semic-Jusufagic, A, Belgrave, D, Pickles, A, et al. (2014) Assessing the association of early life antibiotic prescription with asthma exacerbations, impaired antiviral immunity, and genetic variants in 17q21: a population-based birth cohort study. Lancet Respir Med 2, 621–630.
25. Jolliffe, DA, Walton, RT, Griffiths, CJ, et al. (2016) Single nucleotide polymorphisms in the vitamin D pathway associating with circulating concentrations of vitamin D metabolites and non-skeletal health outcomes: review of genetic association studies. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 164, 18–29.
26. Jolliffe, DA, James, WY, Hooper, RL, et al. (2017) Prevalence, determinants and clinical correlates of vitamin D deficiency in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in London, UK. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 175, 138–145.
27. Paternoster, L, Standl, M, Waage, J, et al. (2015) Multi-ancestry genome-wide association study of 21,000 cases and 95,000 controls identifies new risk loci for atopic dermatitis. Nat Genet 47, 1449–1456.
28. Zheng, HF, Rong, JJ, Liu, M, et al. (2015) Performance of genotype imputation for low frequency and rare variants from the 1000 genomes. PLOS ONE 10, e0116487.
29. Jolliffe, DA, Walton, RT, Griffiths, CJ, et al. (2015) Single nucleotide polymorphisms in the vitamin D pathway associating with circulating concentrations of vitamin D metabolites and non-skeletal health outcomes: review of genetic association studies. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 164, 18–29.
30. Butler, MW, Burt, A, Edwards, TL, et al. (2011) Vitamin D receptor gene as a candidate gene for Parkinson disease. Ann Hum Genet 75, 201–210.
31. Ganmaa, D, Munkhzul, B, Fawzi, W, et al. (2017) High-dose vitamin D3 during tuberculosis treatment in Mongolia. a randomized controlled trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 196, 628–637.
32. Sadeghi, K, Wessner, B, Laggner, U, et al. (2006) Vitamin D3 down-regulates monocyte TLR expression and triggers hyporesponsiveness to pathogen-associated molecular patterns. Eur J Immunol 36, 361–370.
33. Do, JE, Kwon, SY, Park, S, et al. (2008) Effects of vitamin D on expression of Toll-like receptors of monocytes from patients with Behcet’s disease. Rheumatology (Oxford) 47, 840–848.
34. Hansdottir, S, Monick, MM, Lovan, N, et al. (2010) Vitamin D decreases RSV induction of NF-κB-linked chemokines and cytokines in airway epithelium while maintaining the antiviral state. J Immunol 184, 965–974.
35. Yoon, HJ, Zhu, Z, Gwaltney, JM Jr, et al. (1999) Rhinovirus regulation of IL-1 receptor antagonist in vivo and in vitro: a potential mechanism of symptom resolution. J Immunol 162, 7461–7469.
36. Hudock, KM, Liu, Y, Mei, J, et al. (2012) Delayed resolution of lung inflammation in Il-1rn-/− mice reflects elevated IL-17A/granulocyte colony-stimulating factor expression. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 47, 436–444.
37. Elliott, MB, Tebbey, PW, Pryharski, KS, et al. (2004) Inhibition of respiratory syncytial virus infection with the CC chemokine RANTES (CCL5). J Med Virol 73, 300–308.
38. Culley, FJ, Pennycook, AM, Tregoning, JS, et al. (2006) Role of CCL5 (RANTES) in viral lung disease. J Virol 80, 8151–8157.
39. Short, KR, Kroeze, EJ, Fouchier, RA, et al. (2014) Pathogenesis of influenza-induced acute respiratory distress syndrome. Lancet Infect Dis 14, 57–69.
40. Lindell, DM, Lane, TE & Lukacs, NW (2008) CXCL10/CXCR3-mediated responses promote immunity to respiratory syncytial virus infection by augmenting dendritic cell and CD8(+) T cell efficacy. Eur J Immunol 38, 2168–2179.
41. Nicholson, KG, Kent, J, Hammersley, V, et al. (1997) Acute viral infections of upper respiratory tract in elderly people living in the community: comparative, prospective, population based study of disease burden. BMJ 315, 1060–1064.
42. Horn, ME, Brain, EA, Gregg, I, et al. (1979) Respiratory viral infection and wheezy bronchitis in childhood. Thorax 34, 23–28.
43. Jiang, L, Lee, VJ, Cui, L, et al. (2017) Detection of viral respiratory pathogens in mild and severe acute respiratory infections in Singapore. Sci Rep 7, 42963.