1. De Onis, M & Blössner, M (2003) The World Health Organization global database on child growth and malnutrition: methodology and applications. Int J Epidemiol 32, 518–526.
2. Guerrant, RL, DeBoer, MD, Moore, SR, et al. (2012) The impoverished gut – a triple burden of diarrhoea, stunting and chronic disease. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 10, 220–229.
3. Gale, CR, O’Callaghan, FJ, Bredow, M, et al. (2006) The influence of head growth in fetal life, infancy, and childhood on intelligence at the ages of 4 and 8 years. Pediatrics 118, 1486–1492.
4. Gale, CR, O’Callaghan, FJ, Godfrey, KM, et al. (2004) Critical periods of brain growth and cognitive function in children. Brain 127, 321–329.
5. Borzage, M, Blüml, S & Seri, I (2014) Equations to describe brain size across the continuum of human lifespan. Brain Struct Funct 219, 141–150.
6. Lenroot, RK, Gogtay, N, Greenstein, DK, et al. (2007) Sexual dimorphism of brain developmental trajectories during childhood and adolescence. Neuroimage 36, 1065–1073.
7. Shaw, P, Kabani, NJ, Lerch, JP, et al. (2008) Neurodevelopmental trajectories of the human cerebral cortex. J Neurosci 28, 3586–3594.
8. Bartholomeusz, HH, Courchesne, E & Karns, CM (2002) Relationship between head circumference and brain volume in healthy normal toddlers, children, and adults. Neuropediatrics 33, 239–241.
9. Ivanovic, DM, Leiva, BP, Pérez, HT, et al. (2004) Head size and intelligence, learning, nutritional status and brain development: head, IQ, learning, nutrition and brain. Neuropsychologia 42, 1118–1131.
10. Lange, N, Froimowitz, MP, Bigler, ED, et al. (2010) Associations between IQ, total and regional brain volumes, and demography in a large normative sample of healthy children and adolescents. Dev Neuropsychol 35, 296–317.
11. Toga, AW, Thompson, PM & Sowell, ER (2006) Mapping brain maturation. FOCUS J Lifelong Learn Psychiatry 4, 378–390.
12. Aarnoudse-Moens, CSH, Weisglas-Kuperus, N, van Goudoever, JB, et al. (2009) Meta-analysis of neurobehavioral outcomes in very preterm and/or very low birth weight children. Pediatrics 124, 717–728.
13. Nelson, KB & Deutschberger, J (1970) Head size at one year as a predictor of four‐year IQ. Dev Med Child Neurol 12, 487–495.
14. Cooke, RWI (2006) Are there critical periods for brain growth in children born preterm? Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 91, F17–F20.
15. Chugani, HT (1998) A critical period of brain development: studies of cerebral glucose utilization with PET. Prev Med 27, 184–188.
16. Gao, W, Alcauter, S, Smith, JK, et al. (2015) Development of human brain cortical network architecture during infancy. Brain Struct Funct 2015; Mar; 220(2), 1173–1186.
17. Hanson, JL, Hair, N, Shen, DG, et al. (2013) Family poverty affects the rate of human infant brain growth. PLOS ONE 8, e80954.
18. Veena, SR, Krishnaveni, GV, Wills, AK, et al. (2010) Association of birthweight and head circumference at birth to cognitive performance in 9- to 10-year-old children in South India: prospective birth cohort study. Pediatr Res 67, 424–429.
19. Morse, NL (2012) Benefits of docosahexaenoic acid, folic acid, vitamin D and iodine on foetal and infant brain development and function following maternal supplementation during pregnancy and lactation. Nutrients 4, 799–840.
20. Faa, G, Marcialis, M, Ravarino, A, et al. (2014) Fetal programming of the human brain: is there a link with insurgence of neurodegenerative disorders in adulthood? Curr Med Chem 21, 3854–3876.
21. Makrides, M, Collins, CT & Gibson, RA (2011) Impact of fatty acid status on growth and neurobehavioural development in humans. Matern Child Nutr 7, Suppl. 2, 80–88.
22. Steenweg-de Graaff, J, Roza, SJ, Steegers, EA, et al. (2012) Maternal folate status in early pregnancy and child emotional and behavioral problems: the Generation R Study. Am J Clin Nutr 95, 1413–1421.
23. Campoy, C, Escolano-Margarit, MV, Ramos, R, et al. (2011) Effects of prenatal fish-oil and 5-methyltetrahydrofolate supplementation on cognitive development of children at 6.5 y of age. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 1880S–1888S.
24. Catena, A, Muñoz-Machicao, JA, Torres-Espínola, FJ, et al. (2016) Folate and long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids supplementation during pregnancy has long-term effects on attention system of 8.5 years old offspring’s: a randomized clinical trial. Am J Clin Nutr 103, 115–127.
25. de Onis, M, Onyango, A, Borghi, E, et al. (2007) WHO Child Growth Standards: Methods and Development. Geneva: WHO Press.
26. Krauss-Etschmann, S, Shadid, R, Campoy, C, et al. (2007) Effects of fish-oil and folate supplementation of pregnant women on maternal and fetal plasma concentrations of docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid: a European randomized multicenter trial. Am J Clin Nutr 85, 1392–1400.
27. Kaufman, AS & Kaufman, NL (2004) Kaufman Assessment Battery for Children, 2nd ed. Madrid: TEA Ediciones.
28. Webb, SJ, Ruppel Shell, A, Cuomo, J, et al. (2012) Head circumference measurement and growth: application to neurodevelopment. In Handbook Growth and Growth Monitoring Health Disease, pp. 2981–2997 [VR Preedy, editor]. New York: Springer.
29. Ashburner, J (2007) A fast diffeomorphic image registration algorithm. Neuroimage 38, 95–113.
30. Joshi, AA, Shattuck, DW & Leahy, RM (2012) A method for automated cortical surface registration and labeling. In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Biomedical Image Registration, pp. 180–189 [Dawant B. M., Christensen G. E., Fitzpatrick J. M., Rueckert D., editors]. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag.
31. Shattuck, DW & Leahy, RM (2002) BrainSuite: an automated cortical surface identification tool. Med Image Anal 6, 129–142.
32. Nugent, AC, Luckenbaugh, DA, Wood, SE, et al. (2013) Automated subcortical segmentation using FIRST: test-retest reliability, interscanner reliability, and comparison to manual segmentation. Hum Brain Mapp 34, 2313–2329.
33. Smith, SM, Jenkinson, M, Woolrich, MW, et al. (2004) Advances in functional and structural MR image analysis and implementation as FSL. Neuroimage 23, Suppl. 1, S208–S219.
34. Erickson, KI, Boot, WR, Basak, C, et al. (2010) Striatal volume predicts level of video game skill acquisition. Cereb Cortex 20, 2522–2530.
35. Holm, S (1979) A simple sequentially rejective multiple test procedure. Scand J Stat 6, 65–70.
36. Peelle, JE, Cusack, R & Henson, RNA (2012) Adjusting for global effects in voxel-based morphometry: gray matter decline in normal aging. Neuroimage 60, 1503–1516.
37. Tzourio-Mazoyer, N, Landeau, B, Papathanassiou, D, et al. (2002) Automated anatomical labeling of activations in SPM using a macroscopic anatomical parcellation of the MNI MRI single-subject brain. Neuroimage 15, 273–289.
38. Mutha, PK, Sainburg, RL & Haaland, KY (2011) Left parietal regions are critical for adaptive visuomotor control. J Neurosci 31, 6972–6981.
39. Kanai, R, Dong, MY, Bahrami, B, et al. (2011) Distractibility in daily life is reflected in the structure and function of human parietal cortex. J Neurosci 31, 6620–6626.
40. Fogassi, L, Ferrari, PF, Gesierich, B, et al. (2005) Parietal lobe: from action organization to intention understanding. Science 308, 662–667.
41. Nieder, A & Dehaene, S (2009) Representation of number in the brain. Annu Rev Neurosci 32, 185–208.
42. Meyer, L, Obleser, J & Friederici, AD (2013) Left parietal alpha enhancement during working memory-intensive sentence processing. Cortex 49, 711–721.
43. Pujol, J, Soriano-Mas, C, Ortiz, H, et al. (2006) Myelination of language-related areas in the developing brain. Neurology 66, 339–343.
44. Dean, DC, O’Muircheartaigh, J, Dirks, H, et al. (2015) Characterizing longitudinal white matter development during early childhood. Brain Struct Funct 220, 1921–1933.
45. Fox, SE, Levitt, P & Nelson, CA III (2010) How the timing and quality of early experiences influence the development of brain architecture. Child Dev 81, 28–40.
46. Anjos, T, Altmäe, S, Emmett, P, et al. (2013) Nutrition and neurodevelopment in children: focus on NUTRIMENTHE project. Eur J Nutr 52, 1825–1842.
47. Bann, CM, Wallander, JL, Do, B, et al. (2016) Home-based early intervention and the influence of family resources on cognitive development. Pediatrics, 2015–3766. Apr;137(4). pii: e20153766. doi: 10.1542/peds.2015-3766.
48. Tanner, JM (1981) History Study Human Growth. Biological Anthropology and Primatology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.