1. Swan, SH, Elkin, EP & Fenster, L (2000) The question of declining sperm density revisited: an analysis of 101 studies published 1934–1996. Environ Health Perspect 108, 961–966.
2. Kumar, N & Singh, AK (2015) Trends of male factor infertility, an important cause of infertility: a review of literature. J Hum Reprod Sci 8, 191–196.
3. Levine, H, Jørgensen, N, Martino-Andrade, A, et al. (2017) Temporal trends in sperm count: a systematic review and meta-regression analysis. Hum Reprod Update 23, 646–659.
4. Virtanen, HE, Jørgensen, N & Toppari, J (2017) Semen quality in the 21(st) century. Nat Rev Urol 14, 120–130.
5. Nordkap, L, Joensen, UN, Blomberg Jensen, M, et al. (2012) Regional differences and temporal trends in male reproductive health disorders: semen quality may be a sensitive marker of environmental exposures. Mol Cell Endocrinol 355, 221–230.
6. Povey, AC, Clyma, JA, McNamee, R, et al. (2012) Modifiable and non-modifiable risk factors for poor semen quality: a case-referent study. Hum Reprod 27, 2799–2806.
7. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2014) National Public Health Action Plan for the Detection, Prevention, and Management of Infertility. Atlanta: CDC.
8. Mahe, G, Carsin, M, Zeeny, M, et al. (2011) Dietary pattern, a modifiable risk factor that can be easily assessed for atherosclerosis vascular disease prevention in clinical practice. Public Health Nutr 14, 319–326.
9. Jensen, TK, Swan, SH, Skakkebaek, NE, et al. (2010) Caffeine intake and semen quality in a population of 2,554 young Danish men. Am J Epidemiol 171, 883–891.
10. Mínguez-Alarcón, L, Mendiola, J, López-Espín, JJ, et al. (2012) Dietary intake of antioxidant nutrients is associated with semen quality in young university students. Hum Reprod 27, 2807–2814.
11. Jensen, TK, Heitmann, BL, Blomberg Jensen, M, et al. (2013) High dietary intake of saturated fat is associated with reduced semen quality among 701 young Danish men from the general population. Am J Clin Nutr 97, 411–418.
12. Chavarro, JE, Mínguez-Alarcón, L, Mendiola, J, et al. (2014)
Trans fatty acid intake is inversely related to total sperm count in young healthy men. Hum Reprod 29, 429–440.
13. Giahi, L, Mohammadmoradi, S, Javidan, A, et al. (2016) Nutritional modifications in male infertility: a systematic review covering 2 decades. Nutr Rev 74, 118–130.
14. Salas-Huetos, A, Bulló, M & Salas-Salvadó, J (2017) Dietary patterns, foods and nutrients in male fertility parameters and fecundability: a systematic review of observational studies. Hum Reprod Update 23, 371–389.
15. Swan, SH, Liu, F, Overstreet, JW, et al. (2007) Semen quality of fertile US males in relation to their mothers’ beef consumption during pregnancy. Hum Reprod 22, 1497–1502.
16. Gasull, M, Bosch de Basea, M, Puigdomènech, E, et al. (2011) Empirical analyses of the influence of diet on human concentrations of persistent organic pollutants: a systematic review of all studies conducted in Spain. Environ Int 37, 1226–1235.
17. Attaman, JA, Toth, TL, Furtado, J, et al. (2012) Dietary fat and semen quality among men attending a fertility clinic. Hum Reprod 27, 1466–1474.
18. Vested, A, Giwercman, A, Bonde, JP, et al. (2014) Persistent organic pollutants and male reproductive health. Asian J Androl 16, 71–80.
19. Afeiche, MC, Williams, PL, Gaskins, AJ, et al. (2014) Meat intake and reproductive parameters among young men. Epidemiology 25, 323–330.
20. Mendiola, J, Torres-Cantero, AM, Moreno-Grau, JM, et al. (2009) Food intake and its relationship with semen quality: a case–control study. Fertil Steril 91, 812–818.
21. Eslamian, G, Amirjannati, N, Rashidkhani, B, et al. (2012) Intake of food groups and idiopathic asthenozoospermia: a case–control study. Hum Reprod 27, 3328–3336.
22. Afeiche, MC, Gaskins, AJ, Williams, PL, et al. (2014) Processed meat intake is unfavorably and fish intake favorably associated with semen quality indicators among men attending a fertility clinic. J Nutr 144, 1091–1098.
23. Cutillas-Tolín, A, Mínguez-Alarcón, L, Mendiola, J, et al. (2015) Mediterranean and Western dietary patterns are related to markers of testicular function among healthy men. Hum Reprod 30, 2945–2955.
24. Mínguez-Alarcón, L, Chavarro, JE, Mendiola, J, et al. (2017) Fatty acid intake in relation to reproductive hormones and testicular volume among young healthy men. Asian J Androl 19, 184–190.
25. Vioque, J & Gonzalez, L (1991) Validity of a food frequency questionnaire (preliminary results). Eur J Cancer Prev 1, 19–20.
26. Vioque, J, Navarrete-Muñoz, EM, Gimenez-Monzó, D, et al. (2013) Reproducibility and validity of a food frequency questionnaire among pregnant women in a Mediterranean area. Nutr J 12, 26.
27. World Health Organization (2010) WHO Laboratory Manual for the Examination and Processing of Human Semen, 5th ed. Geneva: WHO.
28. Menkveld, R, Stander, FS, Kotze, TJ, et al. (1990) The evaluation of morphological characteristics of human spermatozoa according to stricter criteria. Hum Reprod 5, 586–592.
29. Asklund, C, Jørgensen, N, Skakkebaek, NE, et al. (2007) Increased frequency of reproductive health problems among fathers of boys with hypospadias. Hum Reprod 22, 2639–2646.
30. Vermeulen, A, Verdonck, L & Kaufman, JM (1999) A critical evaluation of simple methods for the estimation of free testosterone in serum. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84, 3666–3672.
32. Hu, FB, Rimm, EB, Stampfer, MJ, et al. (2000) Prospective study of major dietary patterns and risk of coronary heart disease in men. Am J Clin Nutr 72, 912–921.
33. Vujkovic, M, de Vries, JH, Dohle, GR, et al. (2009) Associations between dietary patterns and semen quality in men undergoing IVF/ICSI treatment. Hum Reprod 24, 1304–1312.
34. Braga, DP, Halpern, G, Figueira Rde, C, et al. (2012) Food intake and social habits in male patients and its relationship to intracytoplasmic sperm injection outcomes. Fertil Steril 97, 53–59.
35. Dong, FM (2009) The Nutritional Value of Shellfish. Washington: University of Washington.
36. Safarinejad, MR (2011) Effect of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation on semen profile and enzymatic anti-oxidant capacity of seminal plasma in infertile men with idiopathic oligoasthenoteratospermia: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised study. Andrologia 43, 38–47.
37. Zhao, J, Dong, X, Hu, X, et al. (2016) Zinc levels in seminal plasma and their correlation with male infertility: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sci Rep 6, 22386.