1. Saraf, R, Morton, S, Camargo, C, et al. (2016) Global summary of maternal and newborn vitamin D status – a systematic review. Matern Child Nutr 12, 647–668.
2. Ponsonby, AL, Lucas, RM, Lewis, S, et al. (2010) Vitamin D status during pregnancy and aspects of offspring health. Nutrients 2, 389–407.
3. Pérez-López, FR, Pasupuleti, V, Mezones-Holguin, E, et al. (2015) Effect of vitamin D supplementation during pregnancy on maternal and neonatal outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Fertil Steril 103, 1278–1288.
4. De-Regil, L, Palacios, C, Lombardo, L, et al. (2016) Vitamin D supplementation for women during pregnancy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, issue 1, CD008873.
5. Harvey, NC, Holroyd, C, Ntani, G, et al. (2014) Vitamin D supplementation in pregnancy: a systematic review. Health Technol Assess 18, 1–190.
6. Gernand, AD, Simhan, HN, Klebanoff, MA, et al. (2013) Maternal serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and measures of newborn and placental weight in a U.S. multicenter cohort study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98, 398–404.
7. Lindberg, B, Ivarsson, S & Lernmark, A (1999) Islet autoantibodies in cord blood could be a risk factor for future diabetes. Diabetologia 42, 1443.
8. Chiu, KC, Chu, A, Go, VLW, et al. (2004) Hypovitaminosis D is associated with insulin resistance and beta cell dysfunction. Am J Clin Nutr 79, 820–825.
9. Kayaniyil, S, Retnakaran, R, Harris, SB, et al. (2011) Prospective associations of vitamin D with beta-cell function and glycemia: The PROspective Metabolism and ISlet cell Evaluation (PROMISE) cohort study. Diabetes 60, 2947–2953.
10. Hyperglycemia and Adverse Pregnancy Outcome Study Cooperative Research Group (2002) The Hyperglycemia and Adverse Pregnancy Outcome (HAPO) Study. Int J Gynecol Obstet 78, 69–77.
11. The Hyperglycemia and Adverse Pregnancy Outcome Study Cooperative Research Group (2008) Hyperglycemia and Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes. N Engl J Med 358, 1991–2002.
12. Rogers, I, Emmett, P, Baker, D, et al. (1998) Financial difficulties, smoking habits, composition of the diet and birthweight in a population of pregnant women in the South West of England. Eur J Clin Nutr 52, 251–260.
13. Food Standards Agency (2002) McCance and Widdowson’s The Composition of Foods, 6th ed. Cambridge: Royal Society of Chemistry.
14. Schwartz, N, Nachum, Z & Green, MS (2015) The prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus recurrence – effect of ethnicity and parity: a meta analysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 213, 310–317.
15. Levy, J, Matthews, D & Hermans, M (1998) Correct Homeostasis Model Assessment (HOMA) evaluation uses the computer program. Diabetes Care 21, 2191–2192.
16. Cole, T, Freeman, J & Preece, M (1998) British 1990 growth reference centiles for weight, height, body mass index and head circumference fitted by maximum penalized likelihood. Stat Med 17, 407–429.
17. Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (2016) Vitamin D and Health. London: Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition.
18. Gernand, AD, Simhan, HN, Caritas, S, et al. (2014) Maternal vitamin D status and small-for-gestational-age offspring in women at high risk for preeclampsia. Obstet Gynecol 123, 40–48.
19. Miller, DR, Turner, SW, Spidery-Cornish, D, et al. (2015) Maternal vitamin D and E intakes during early pregnancy are associated with airway epithelial cell responses in neonates. Clin Ext Allergy 45, 920–927.
20. Josephson, JL, Fein glass, J, Pacemaker, AW, et al. (2014) Maternal obesity and vitamin D sufficiency are associated with cord blood vitamin D insufficiency. J Endocrinol Metab 98, 114–119.
21. Josefson, JL, Reisetter, A, Scholtens, DM, et al. (2016) Maternal BMI associations with maternal and cord blood vitamin D levels in a North American subset of Hyperglycemia and Adverse Pregnancy Outcome (HAPO) study participants. PLOS ONE 11, e0150221.
22. Rodriguez, A, García-Esteban, R, Basterretxea, M, et al. (2015) Associations of maternal circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 concentration with pregnancy and birth outcomes. BJOG 122, 1695–1704.
23. Chen, Y, Fu, L, Hao, J, et al. (2015) Maternal vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy elevates the risks of small for gestational age and low birth weight infants in Chinese population. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 100, 1912–1919.
24. Eckhardt, C, Gernand, AD, Roth, DE, et al. (2015) Maternal vitamin D status and infant anthropometry in a US multi-centre cohort study. Ann Hum Biol 42, 215–222.
25. Javaid, MK, Crozier, SR, Harvey, NC, et al. (2006) Maternal vitamin D status during pregnancy and childhood bone mass at age 9 years: a longitudinal study. Lancet 367, 36–43.
26. Olmos-Ortiz, A, Avila, E, Durand-Carbajal, M, et al. (2015) Regulation of calcitriol biosynthesis and activity: focus on gestational vitamin D deficiency and adverse pregnancy outcomes. Nutrients 7, 443–480.
27. Moore, WT, Bowser, SM, Fausnacht, DW, et al. (2015) Beta cell function and the nutritional state: dietary factors that influence insulin secretion. Curr Diab Rep 15, 1–9.
28. Dong, J-Y, Zhang, W-G, Chen, JJ, et al. (2013) Vitamin D intake and risk of type 1 diabetes: a meta-analysis of observational studies. Nutrients 5, 3551–3562.