1. Reece, EA, Leguizamón, G & Wiznitzer, A (2009) Gestational diabetes: the need for a common ground. Lancet 373, 1789–1797.
2. Bentley-Lewis, R (2009) Gestational diabetes mellitus as a herald of type 2 diabetes mellitus: an opportunity for a lifetime. Lancet 373, 1738–1740.
3. Kessous, R, Shoham-Vardi, I, Pariente, G, et al. (2013) An association between gestational diabetes mellitus and long-term maternal cardiovascular morbidity. Heart 99, 1118–1121.
4. Ben-Haroush, A, Yogev, Y & Hod, M (2004) Epidemiology of gestational diabetes mellitus and its association with type 2 diabetes. Diabet Med 21, 103–113.
5. Buckley, BS, Harreiter, J, Damm, P, et al. (2012) Gestational diabetes mellitus in Europe: prevalence, current screening practice and barriers to screening. A review. Diabet Med 29, 844–854.
6. Dabelea, D, Snell-Bergeon, JK, Hartsfield, CL, et al. (2005) Increasing prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) over time and by birth cohort: Kaiser Permanente of Colorado GDM Screening Program. Diabetes Care 28, 579–584.
7. Leng, J, Shao, P, Zhang, C, et al. (2015) Prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus and its risk factors in Chinese pregnant women: a prospective population-based study in Tianjin, China. PLOS ONE 10, e0121029.
8. Zhang, C & Ning, Y (2011) Effect of dietary and lifestyle factors on the risk of gestational diabetes: review of epidemiologic evidence. Am J Clin Nutr 94, Suppl, 1975S–1979S.
9. Schoenaker, DA, Mishra, GD, Callaway, LK, et al. (2016) The role of energy, nutrients, foods, and dietary patterns in the development of gestational diabetes mellitus: a systematic review of observational studies. Diabetes Care 39, 16–23.
10. Radesky, JS, Oken, E, Rifas-Shiman, SL, et al. (2008) Diet during early pregnancy and development of gestational diabetes. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 22, 47–59.
11. Ley, SH, Hanley, AJ, Retnakaran, R, et al. (2011) Effect of macronutrient intake during the second trimester on glucose metabolism later in pregnancy. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 1232–1240.
12. Bao, W, Tobias, DK, Olsen, SF, et al. (2014) Pre-pregnancy fried food consumption and the risk of gestational diabetes mellitus: a prospective cohort study. Diabetologia 57, 2485–2491.
13. Bowers, K, Tobias, DK, Yeung, E, et al. (2012) A prospective study of prepregnancy dietary fat intake and risk of gestational diabetes. Am J Clin Nutr 95, 446–453.
14. Bao, W, Bowers, K, Tobias, DK, et al. (2013) Pre-pregnancy dietary protein intake, major dietary protein sources, and the risk of gestational diabetes mellitus: a prospective cohort study. Diabetes Care 36, 2001–2008.
15. Zhang, C, Schulze, MB, Solomon, CG, et al. (2006) A prospective study of dietary patterns, meat intake and the risk of gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetologia 49, 2604–2613.
16. Tobias, DK, Zhang, C, Chavarro, J, et al. (2012) Pre-pregnancy adherence to dietary patterns and lower risk of gestational diabetes mellitus. Am J Clin Nutr 96, 289–295.
17. Shin, D, Lee, KW & Song, WO (2015) Dietary patterns during pregnancy are associated with risk of gestational diabetes mellitus. Nutrients 7, 9369–9382.
18. Tryggvadottir, EA, Medek, H, Birgisdottir, BE, et al. (2016) Association between healthy maternal dietary pattern and risk for gestational diabetes mellitus. Eur J Clin Nutr 70, 237–242.
19. Karamanos, B, Thanopoulou, A, Anastasiou, E, et al. (2014) Relation of the Mediterranean diet with the incidence of gestational diabetes. Eur J Clin Nutr 68, 8–13.
20. de Seymour, J, Chia, A, Colega, M, et al. (2016) Maternal dietary patterns and gestational diabetes mellitus in a multi-ethnic Asian cohort: the GUSTO study. Nutrients 8, 574.
21. He, JR, Yuan, MY, Chen, NN, et al. (2015) Maternal dietary patterns and gestational diabetes mellitus: a large prospective cohort study in China. Br J Nutr 113, 1292–1300.
22. Pang, WW, Colega, M, Cai, S, et al. (2017) Higher maternal dietary protein intake is associated with a higher risk of gestational diabetes mellitus in a multiethnic Asian cohort. J Nutr 147, 653–660.
23. Bao, W, Bowers, K, Tobias, DK, et al. (2014) Prepregnancy low-carbohydrate dietary pattern and risk of gestational diabetes mellitus: a prospective cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr 99, 1378–1384.
24. Zhang, H, Qiu, X, Zhong, C, et al. (2015) Reproducibility and relative validity of a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire for Chinese pregnant women. Nutr J 14, 56.
25. Englund-Ögge, L, Brantsæter, AL, Sengpiel, V, et al. (2014) Maternal dietary patterns and preterm delivery: results from large prospective cohort study. BMJ 348, g1446.
26. National Institute of Nutrition and Food Safety, China Centers for Disease Control (2009) China Food Composition, 2nd ed. Beijing: Peking University Medical Press.
27. Willett, WC, Howe, GR & Kushi, LH (1997) Adjustment for total energy in take in epidemiologic studies. Am J Clin Nutr 65, Suppl, 1220S–1228S.
28. International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Groups Consensus Panel, Metzger, BE, Gabbe, SG, et al. (2010) International association of diabetes and pregnancy study groups recommendations on the diagnosis and classification of hyperglycemia in pregnancy. Diabetes Care 33, 676–682.
29. Rimm, EB, Stampfer, MJ, Colditz, GA, et al. (1990) Validity of self-reported waist and hip circumferences in men and women. Epidemiology 1, 466–473.
30. Chen, CM (2008) Overview of obesity in mainland China. Obes Rev 1, 14S–21S.
31. Hu, FB (2002) Dietary pattern analysis: a new direction in nutritional epidemiology. Curr Opin Lipidol 13, 3–9.
32. Moeller, SM, Reedy, J, Millen, AE, et al. (2007) Dietary patterns: challenges and opportunities in dietary patterns research an Experimental Biology workshop, April 1, 2006. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 1233–1239.
33. Chia, AR, de Seymour, JV, Colega, M, et al. (2016) A vegetable, fruit, and white rice dietary pattern during pregnancy is associated with a lower risk of preterm birth and larger birth size in a multiethnic Asian cohort: the Growing Up in Singapore Towards Healthy Outcomes (GUSTO) cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr 104, 1416–1423.
34. Qiu, C, Frederick, IO, Zhang, C, et al. (2011) Risk of gestational diabetes mellitus in relation to maternal egg and cholesterol intake. Am J Epidemiol 173, 649–658.
35. Tremblay, F, Lavigne, C, Jacques, H, et al. (2007) Role of dietary proteins and amino acids in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance. Annu Rev Nutr 27, 293–310.
36. Promintzer, M & Krebs, M (2006) Effects of dietary protein on glucose homeostasis. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 9, 463–468.
37. Guasch-Ferré, M, Hruby, A, Toledo, E, et al. (2016) Metabolomics in prediabetes and diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabetes Care 39, 833–846.
38. Lynch, CJ & Adams, SH (2014) Branched-chain amino acids in metabolic signalling and insulin resistance. Nat Rev Endocrinol 10, 723–736.
39. Hernandez, TL, Van Pelt, RE, Anderson, MA, et al. (2014) A higher-complex carbohydrate diet in gestational diabetes mellitus achieves glucose targets and lowers postprandial lipids: a randomized crossover study. Diabetes Care 37, 1254–1262.
40. Zhang, C, Williams, MA, Sorensen, TK, et al. (2004) Maternal plasma ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and risk of gestational diabetes mellitus. Epidemiology 15, 597–604.
41. Parast, VM & Paknahad, Z (2017) Antioxidant status and risk of gestational diabetes mellitus: a case–control study. Clin Nutr Res 6, 81–88.
42. Torloni, MR, Betrán, AP, Horta, BL, et al. (2009) Prepregnancy BMI and the risk of gestational diabetes: a systematic review of the literature with meta-analysis. Obes Rev 10, 194–203.
43. Yang, H, Wei, Y, Gao, X, et al. (2009) Risk factors for gestational diabetes mellitus in Chinese women: a prospective study of 16,286 pregnant women in China. Diabet Med 26, 1099–1104.
44. Zhang, C, Bao, W, Rong, Y, et al. (2013) Genetic variants and the risk of gestational diabetes mellitus: a systematic review. Hum Reprod Update 19, 376–390.
45. Bolton-Smith, C, Woodward, M, Tunstall-Pedoe, H, et al. (2000) Accuracy of the estimated prevalence of obesity from self reported height and weight in an adult Scottish population. J Epidemiol Community Health 54, 143–148.
46. Lederman, SA & Paxton, A (1998) Maternal reporting of prepregnancy weight and birth outcome: consistency and completeness compared with the clinical record. Matern Child Health J 2, 123–126.