1. Kant, AK (2004) Dietary patterns and health outcomes. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 615–635.
2. Li, F, Hou, LN, Chen, W, et al. (2015) Associations of dietary patterns with the risk of all-cause, CVD and stroke mortality: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. Br J Nutr 113, 16–24.
3. Rodriguez-Monforte, M, Flores-Mateo, G & Sanchez, E (2015) Dietary patterns and CVD: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Br J Nutr 114, 1341–1359.
4. Jannasch, F, Kroger, J & Schulze, MB (2017) Dietary patterns and type 2 diabetes: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis of prospective studies. J Nutr 147, 1174–1182.
5. Hu, FB (2002) Dietary pattern analysis: a new direction in nutritional epidemiology. Curr Opin Lipidol 13, 3–9.
6. Hatcher, L (1998) A Step-by-Step Approach to Using the SAS® System for Factor Analysis and Structural Equation Modeling, Books by Users. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc.
7. Newby, PK & Tucker, KL (2004) Empirically derived eating patterns using factor or cluster analysis: a review. Nutr Rev 62, 177–203.
8. Devlin, UM, McNulty, BA, Nugent, AP, et al. (2012) The use of cluster analysis to derive dietary patterns: methodological considerations, reproducibility, validity and the effect of energy mis-reporting. Proc Nutr Soc 71, 599–609.
9. Weikert, C & Schulze, MB (2016) Evaluating dietary patterns: the role of reduced rank regression. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 19, 341–346.
10. Lakerveld, J, van der Ploeg, HP, Kroeze, W, et al. (2014) Towards the integration and development of a cross-European research network and infrastructure: the DEterminants of DIet and Physical ACtivity (DEDIPAC) Knowledge Hub. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 11, 143.
11. Bamia, C, Orfanos, P, Ferrari, P, et al. (2005) Dietary patterns among older Europeans: The EPIC-Elderly study. Br J Nutr 94, 100–113.
12. Bamia, C, Trichopoulos, D, Ferrari, P, et al. (2007) Dietary patterns and survival of older Europeans: The EPIC-Elderly Study (European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition). Public Health Nutr 10, 590–598.
13. Balder, HF, Virtanen, M, Brants, HA, et al. (2003) Common and country-specific dietary patterns in four European cohort studies. J Nutr 133, 4246–4251.
14. Dixon, LB, Balder, HF, Virtanen, MJ, et al. (2004) Dietary patterns associated with colon and rectal cancer: Results from the Dietary Patterns and Cancer (DIETSCAN) Project. Am J Clin Nutr 80, 1003–1011.
15. Mannisto, S, Dixon, LB, Balder, HF, et al. (2005) Dietary patterns and breast cancer risk: results from three cohort studies in the DIETSCAN project. Cancer Causes Control 16, 725–733.
16. Haveman-Nies, A, De Groot, LCPGM & Van Staveren, WA (1998) Snack patterns of older europeans. J Am Diet Assoc 98, 1297–1302.
17. Iqbal, R, Anand, S, Ounpuu, S, et al. (2008) Dietary patterns and the risk of acute myocardial infarction in 52 countries: Results of the INTERHEART study. Circulation 118, 1929–1937.
18. Menotti, A, Kromhout, D, Blackburn, H, et al. (1999) Food intake patterns and 25-year mortality from coronary heart disease: cross-cultural correlations in the Seven Countries Study. The Seven Countries Study Research Group. Eur J Epidemiol 15, 507–515.
19. Pala, V, Lissner, L, Hebestreit, A, et al. (2013) Dietary patterns and longitudinal change in body mass in European children: a follow-up study on the IDEFICS multicenter cohort. Eur J Clin Nutr 67, 1042–1049.
20. Willett, W & Stampfer, MJ (1986) Total energy intake: implications for epidemiologic analyses. Am J Epidemiol 124, 17–27.
21. Walthouwer, MJ, Oenema, A, Soetens, K, et al. (2014) Are clusters of dietary patterns and cluster membership stable over time? Results of a longitudinal cluster analysis study. Appetite 82, 154–159.
22. Lo Siou, G, Yasui, Y, Csizmadi, I, et al. (2011) Exploring statistical approaches to diminish subjectivity of cluster analysis to derive dietary patterns: The Tomorrow Project. Am J Epidemiol 173, 956–967.
23. Ambrosini, GL, O’Sullivan, TA, de Klerk, NH, et al. (2011) Relative validity of adolescent dietary patterns: a comparison of a FFQ and 3 d food record. Br J Nutr 105, 625–633.
24. Appannah, G, Pot, GK, O’Sullivan, TA, et al. (2014) The reliability of an adolescent dietary pattern identified using reduced-rank regression: comparison of a FFQ and 3 d food record. Br J Nutr 112, 609–615.
25. Asghari, G, Rezazadeh, A, Hosseini-Esfahani, F, et al. (2012) Reliability, comparative validity and stability of dietary patterns derived from an FFQ in the Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study. Br J Nutr 108, 1109–1117.
26. Hu, FB, Rimm, E, Smith-Warner, SA, et al. (1999) Reproducibility and validity of dietary patterns assessed with a food-frequency questionnaire. Am J Clin Nutr 69, 243–249.
27. Khani, BR, Ye, W, Terry, P, et al. (2004) Reproducibility and validity of major dietary patterns among Swedish women assessed with a food-frequency questionnaire. J Nutr 134, 1541–1545.
28. Nanri, A, Shimazu, T, Ishihara, J, et al. (2012) Reproducibility and validity of dietary patterns assessed by a food frequency questionnaire used in the 5-year follow-up survey of the Japan Public Health Center-Based Prospective Study. J Epidemiol 22, 205–215.
29. Okubo, H, Murakami, K, Sasaki, S, et al. (2010) Relative validity of dietary patterns derived from a self-administered diet history questionnaire using factor analysis among Japanese adults. Public Health Nutr 13, 1080–1089.
30. Kroeger, J, Schulze, MB, Romaguera, D, et al. (2014) Adherence to predefined dietary patterns and incident type 2 diabetes in European populations: EPIC-InterAct Study. Diabetologia 57, 321–333.
31. Schulze, MB, Hoffmann, K, Manson, JE, et al. (2005) Dietary pattern, inflammation, and incidence of type 2 diabetes in women. Am J Clin Nutr 82, 675–684; quiz 714–675.
32. Imamura, F, Lichtenstein, AH, Dallal, GE, et al. (2009) Generalizability of dietary patterns associated with incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Am J Clin Nutr 90, 1075–1083.
33. Crozier, SR, Inskip, HM, Godfrey, KM, et al. (2008) Dietary patterns in pregnant women: a comparison of food-frequency questionnaires and 4 d prospective diaries. Br J Nutr 99, 869–875.