1. ; . Guidelines for the management of ischaemic stroke and transient ischaemic attack 2008. Cerebrovasc Dis 2008; 25:457–507.
2. , , , et al. Recommendations for the management of intracranial haemorrhage - part 1: spontaneous intracerebral haemorrhage. The European Stroke Initiative Writing Committee and the Writing Committee for the EUSI Executive Committee. Cerebrovasc Dis 2006; 22:294–316.
5. , , , et al. Intravenous thrombolysis with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator for acute hemispheric stroke. The European Cooperative Acute Stroke Study (ECASS). JAMA 1995; 274(13): 1017–25.
6. . Tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischaemic stroke. N Engl J Med 1995; 333:1581–7.
7. , , , et al. Randomised double-blind placebo controlled trial of thrombolytic therapy with intravenous alteplase in acute ischaemic stroke (ECASS II). Second European-Australasian Acute Stroke Study Investigators. Lancet 1998; 352:1245–51.
8. , , , et al. Recombinant tissue-type plasminogen activator (Alteplase) for ischemic stroke 3 to 5 hours after symptom onset: The ATLANTIS Study: a randomized controlled trial. Alteplase Thrombolysis for Acute Noninterventional Therapy in Ischemic Stroke. JAMA 1999; 282(21):2019–26.
9. , , , et al. Association of outcome with early stroke treatment: pooled analysis of ATLANTIS, ECASS and NINDS rt-PA stroke trials. Lancet 2004; 363:768–74.
10. , , , et al. Thrombolysis with alteplase for acute ischaemic stroke in the Safe Implementation of Thrombolysis in Stroke-Monitoring Study (SITS-MOST): an observational study. Lancet 2007; 369:275–82.
11. , , , et al. Thrombolysis with alteplase 3–4.5h after acute ischaemic stroke (SITS-ISTR): an observational study. Lancet 2008; 372:1303–9.
12. , , , et al. Thrombolysis with alteplase 3 to 4.5 hours after acute ischemic stroke. N Engl J Med 2008; 359(13):1317–29.
13. , , , et al. Implementation and outcome of thrombolysis with alteplase 3–4.5 h after an acute stroke: an updated analysis from SITS-ISTR. Lancet Neurol 2010; 9(9):866–74.
14. , , , et al. Time to treatment with intravenous alteplase and outcome in stroke: an updated pooled analysis of ECASS, ATLANTIS, NINDS, and EPITHET trials. Lancet 2010; 375(9727):1695–703.
15. , , , et al. The benefits and harms of intravenous thrombolysis with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator within 6 h of acute ischaemic stroke (the third International Stroke Trial [IST-3]): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2012; 379(9834):2352–63.
16. , , , et al. Recombinant tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischaemic stroke: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet 2012; 379(9834):2364–72.
17. , , , et al. Risk factors of symptomatic intracerebral hemorrhage after tPA therapy for acute stroke. Stroke 2007; 38(8): 2275–8.
18. , , , et al. Thrombolysis in stroke despite contraindications or warnings? Stroke 2013; 44(3):727–33.
19. , . Early administration of aspirin in patients treated with alteplase for acute ischaemic stroke: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2012; 380(9843):731–7.
20. , , , et al. Microbubble administration accelerates clot lysis during continuous 2-MHz ultrasound monitoring in stroke patients treated with intravenous tissue plasminogen activator. Stroke 2006; 37(2):425–9.
21. , , , et al. Endovascular therapy after intravenous t-PA versus t-PA alone for stroke. N Engl J Med 2013; 368(10): 893–903.
22. , , , et al. Safety and efficacy of mechanical embolectomy in acute ischemic stroke: results of the MERCI trial. Stroke 2005; 36(7): 1432–8.
23. , , , et al. Trevo versus Merci retrievers for thrombectomy revascularisation of large vessel occlusions in acute ischaemic stroke (TREVO 2): a randomised trial. Lancet 2012; 380(9849): 1231–40.
24. , , , et al. Comparison of stent-retriever devices versus the Merci retriever for endovascular treatment of acute stroke. Am J Neuroradiol 2013; 34(2):366–72.
25. , , , et al. Solitaire flow restoration device versus the Merci Retriever in patients with acute ischaemic stroke (SWIFT): a randomised, parallel-group, non-inferiority trial. Lancet 2012; 380(9849): 1241–9.
26. : Prevention of death, myocardial infarction, and stroke by prolonged antiplatelet therapy in various categories of patients. Antiplatelet Trialists’ Collaboration. BMJ 1994; 308(6921):81–106.
27. The International Stroke Trial (IST): a randomised trial of aspirin, subcutaneous heparin, both, or neither among 19,435 patients with acute ischaemic stroke. . Lancet 1997; 349:1569–81.
28. CAST: randomised placebo-controlled trial of early aspirin use in 20,000 patients with acute ischaemic stroke. . Lancet 1997; 349:1641–9.
29. , , , et al. What is the best imaging strategy for acute stroke? Health Technol Assess 2004; 8:1–180.
30. . Collaborative meta-analysis of randomised trials of antiplatelet therapy for prevention of death, myocardial infarction, and stroke in high risk patients. BMJ 2002; 324(7329):71–86.
31. , , , et al. Aspirin plus dipyridamole versus aspirin alone after cerebral ischaemia of arterial origin (ESPRIT): randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2006; 367:1665–73.
32. , , , et al. Aspirin and extended-release dipyridamole versus clopidogrel for recurrent stroke. N Engl J Med 2008; 359(12):1238–51.
33. , , , et al. Dual antiplatelet therapy with clopidogrel and aspirin in symptomatic carotid stenosis evaluated using doppler embolic signal detection: the Clopidogrel and Aspirin for Reduction of Emboli in Symptomatic Carotid Stenosis (CARESS) trial. Circulation 2005; 111(17):2233–40.
34. , , , et al. Aspirin and clopidogrel compared with clopidogrel alone after recent ischaemic stroke or transient ischaemic attack in high-risk patients (MATCH): randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2004; 364:331–7.
35. , . Rationale and design of a randomized, double-blind trial comparing the effects of a 3-month clopidogrel-aspirin regimen versus aspirin alone for the treatment of high-risk patients with acute nondisabling cerebrovascular event. Am Heart J 2010; 160(3):380–6.e1.
36. , , , et al. Clopidogrel and aspirin versus aspirin alone for the treatment of high-risk patients with acute non-disabling cerebrovascular event (CHANCE): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled multicenter trial. International Stroke Conference 2013. 2013: Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
37. , , . Anticoagulants for acute ischaemic stroke. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004; 3:CD000024.
38. , , , . Efficacy and safety of anticoagulant treatment in acute cardioembolic stroke: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Stroke 2007; 38(2):423–30.
39. , , , et al. NXY-059 for the treatment of acute ischaemic stroke. N Engl J Med 2007; 357:562–71.
40. , , . Control of hypertension and risk of stroke recurrence. Stroke 2002; 33(11):2652–7.
41. , . Blood pressure in acute stroke. Age Ageing 2004; 33:6–12.
42. , , , ; IST Collaborative Group. Blood pressure and clinical outcomes in the International Stroke Trial. Stroke 2002; 33:1315–20.
43. , , , et al. Hypertension and its treatment in the NINDS rt-PA Stroke Trial. Stroke 1998; 29:1504–9.
44. , , , et al. International Society of Hypertension (ISH): statement on the management of blood pressure in acute stroke. J Hypertens 2003; 21(4):665–72.
45. , , , et al. Blood pressure decrease during the acute phase of ischaemic stroke is associated with brain injury and poor stroke outcome. Stroke 2004; 35:520–7.
46. , , . High blood pressure in acute stroke and subsequent outcome. A systemic review. Hypertension 2004; 43:18–24.
47. , , , et al. Blood pressure and vessel recanalization in the first hours after ischemic stroke. Stroke 2005; 36:264–9.
48. , , , et al. Association of pretreatment blood pressure with tissue plasminogen activator-induced arterial recanalization in acute ischemic stroke. Stroke 2007; 38:961–6.
49. , , , et al. Effects of antihypertensive treatment after acute stroke in the Continue or Stop Post-Stroke Antihypertensives Collaborative Study (COSSACS): a prospective, randomised, open, blinded-endpoint trial. Lancet Neurol 2010; 9(8):767–75.
50. . Interventions for deliberately altering blood pressure in acute stroke. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2001; 3:CD000039. DOI 10.1002/114651858.CD000039.
51. , . Management of acute poststroke blood pressure and detection of atrial fibrillation: a postal questionnaire of UK stroke physicians’ current clinical practice. Scott Med J 2012; 57(4):204–8.
52. , , , et al. Guidelines for the early management of adults with ischemic stroke: a guideline from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Stroke Council, Clinical Cardiology Council, Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention Council, and the Atherosclerotic Peripheral Vascular Disease and Quality of Care Outcomes in Research Interdisciplinary Working Groups: the American Academy of Neurology affirms the value of this guideline as an educational tool for neurologists. Stroke 2007; 38(5):1655–711.
53. , , , , . Stress hyperglycaemia and prognosis of stroke in nondiabetic and diabetic patients: a systematic overview. Stroke 2001; 32:2426–32.
54. , , , . Glucose and insulin therapy in acute stroke; why delay further? QJM 1998; 91:511–15.
55. , , , et al. Randomised trial of insulin glucose infusion followed by subcutaneous insulin treatment in diabetic patients with acute myocardial infarction. The DIGAMI Study. J Am Coll Cardiol 1995; 26:57–65.
56. , , , et al. Intensive insulin therapy in critically ill patients. N Engl J Med 2001; 345:1359–67.
57. . Intensive versus conventional glucose control in critically ill patients. N Engl J Med 2009; 360(13):1283–97.
58. , , , et al. Glucose-potassium-insulin infusions in the management of post-stroke hyperglycaemia: the UK Glucose Insulin in Stroke Trial (GIST-UK). Lancet Neurol 2007; 6:397–406.
59. , , , et al. Early decompressive surgery in malignant infarction of the middle cerebral artery: a pooled analysis of three randomised controlled trials. Lancet Neurol 2007; 6:215–22.
60. , , , et al. DESTINY II: DEcompressive Surgery for the Treatment of malignant INfarction of the middle cerebral arter Y II. Int J Stroke 2011; 6(1):79–86.
61. , , , et al.; DESTINY II Study Group. DESTINY II (DEcompressive Surgery for the Treatment of malignant INfarction of the middle cerebral arter Y II): primary endpoint results. 8th World Stroke Congress. 2012: Brasilia, Brazil.
62. , , , et al. Intensive blood pressure reduction in acute cerebral haemorrhage trial (INTERACT): a randomised pilot trial. Lancet Neurol 2008; 7(5):391–9.
63. , . Antihypertensive Treatment of Acute Cerebral Hemorrhage (ATACH) II: design, methods, and rationale. Neurocrit Care 2011; 15:559–76.
64. , , , , . Antithrombotic and antithrombolytic therapy for ischaemic stroke: the Seventh ACCP Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy. Chest 2004; 126:483S–512S.
65. , , , et al. Early surgery versus initial conservative treatment in patients with spontaneous supratentorial intracerebral haematomas in the International Surgical Trial in Intracerebral Haemorrhage (STICH): a randomised trial. Lancet 2005; 365(9457):387–97.
66. , , , et al. Efficacy and safety of recombinant activated factor VII for acute intracerebral hemorrhage. N Engl J Med 2008; 358(20):2127–37.