1. , . Early neurological deterioration in acute stroke: clinical characteristics and impact on outcome. QJM 2006; 99: 625–33.
2. , , , et al. Neurologic worsening during the acute phase of ischemic stroke. Arch Neurol 2005; 62: 393–7.
3. , , , et al. Progression in lacunar stroke is related to elevated acute phase parameters. Eur Neurol 2004; 51: 125–31.
4. , , , et al. Clinical deterioration after intravenous recombinant tissue plasminogen activator treatment: a multicenter transcranial Doppler study. Stroke 2007; 38: 69–74.
5. , , . Different predictors of neurological worsening in different causes of stroke. Arch Neurol 1998; 55: 481–6.
6. , , , et al. Neurological deterioration in acute ischemic stroke: potential predictors and associated factors in the European Cooperative Acute Stroke Study (ECASS)I. Stroke 1999; 30: 2631–6.
7. , , , et al. Deteriorating ischemic stroke in 4 clinical categories classified by the Oxfordshire Community Stroke Project. Stroke 2000; 31: 2049–54.
8. , , , et al. The Harvard Cooperative Stroke Registry: a prospective registry. Neurology 1978; 28: 754–62.
9. , . The Barcelona Stroke Registry. Eur Neurol 1999; 41: 135–42.
10. , , , et al. Urgent recanalization with stenting for severe intracranial atherosclerosis after transient ischemic attack or minor stroke. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 2011; 50: 322–6.
11. , , , et al. Symptomatic intracranial atherosclerotic disease in acute cerebral ischemia: frequency, clinical course and short-term outcome in a tertiary care hospital in the southeastern United States. Stroke 2012; 43: A121.
12. , , . Hemodynamic factors and perfusion abnormalities in early neurological deterioration. Stroke 2009; 40: e443–50.
13. , , , et al. Steno-occlusive arterial disease and early neurological deterioration in acute ischemic stroke. Cerebrovasc Dis 2008; 25: 151–6.
14. , , , et al. Early MRI and outcomes of untreated patients with mild or improving ischemic stroke. Neurology 2006; 67: 980–4.
15. , , , et al. Progressing neurological deficit secondary to acute ischemic stroke. A study on predictability, pathogenesis, and prognosis. Arch Neurol 1995; 52: 670–5.
16. , . Arterial reocclusion in stroke patients treated with intravenous tissue plasminogen. Neurology 2002; 59: 862–7.
17. , , , et al. Impact of arterial reocclusion and distal fragmentation during thrombolysis among patients with acute ischemic stroke. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2008; 29: 253–8.
18. , , , et al. Predictors of early arterial reocclusion after tissue plasminogen activator-induced recanalization in acute ischemic stroke. Stroke 2005; 36: 1452–6.
19. , , , et al. Microembolic signals and risk of early recurrence in patients with stroke or transient ischemic attack. Stroke 1998; 29: 2125–8.
20. , , , et al. Body temperature and fibrinogen are related to early neurological deterioration in acute ischemic stroke. Cerebrovasc Dis 1997; 7: 64–9.
21. , , , et al. Acute hyperglycemia adversely affects stroke outcome: a magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy study. Ann Neurol 2002; 52: 20–8.
22. , , , et al. Early spontaneous improvement and deterioration of ischemic stroke patients. A serial study with transcranial Doppler ultrasonography. Stroke 1998; 29: 1144–8.
23. , , , et al. Cerebral hemodynamic reserve and early neurologic deterioration in acute ischemic stroke. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2004; 24: 1267–71.
24. , , , et al. Prevalence and clinical importance of sleep apnea in the first night after cerebral infarction. Neurology 2002; 58: 911–16.
25. , , , et al. Association of sleep disordered breathing and the occurrence of stroke. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2005; 172: 1447–51.
26. , , , et al. Obstructive sleep apnea as a risk factor for stroke and death. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 2034–41.
27. , , . Sleep-disordered breathing and acute ischemic stroke: diagnosis, risk factors, treatment, evolution, and long-term clinical outcome. Stroke 2006; 37: 967–72.
28. , , . Obstructive sleep apnea: implications for cardiac and vascular disease. JAMA 2003; 290: 1906–14.
29. , , , et al. Patent foramen ovale and obstructive sleep apnea: a new association?Sleep Med Rev 2010; 14: 391–5.
30. , , . Sleep-disordered breathing and cardiovascular disease. Circulation 2003; 108: 9–12.
31. , , , et al. Noninvasive assessment of CO2-induced cerebral vasomotor response in normal individuals and patients with internal carotid artery occlusions. Stroke 1988; 19: 963–9.
32. , , , et al. Cerebral vasoreactivity decreases overnight in severe obstructive sleep apnea syndrome: a study of cerebral hemodynamics. Sleep Med 2009; 10: 875–81.
33. , , , et al. Cerebral autoregulation in patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome during wakefulness. Eur J Neurol 2009; 16: 386–91.
34. , , , et al. Circulating nitric oxide is suppressed in obstructive sleep apnea and is reversed by nasal continuous airway pressure. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 162: 2166–71.
35. , , , et al. Effects of obstructive sleep apnea on endothelin-1 and blood pressure. J Hypertens 1999; 17: 61–6.
36. , , , et al. Association of reversed Robin Hood syndrome with risk of stroke recurrence. Neurology 2010; 75: 2003–8.
37. , . Estimation of cerebrovascular reactivity using transcranial Doppler, including the use of breath-holding as the vasodilatory stimulus. Stroke 1992; 23: 668–73.
38. , , , et al. Impaired cerebral vasoreactivity and risk of stroke in patients with asymptomatic carotid artery stenosis. JAMA 2000; 283: 2122–7.
39. , , , et al. Prevalence and risk factors associated with reversed Robin Hood syndrome in acute ischemic stroke. Stroke 2009; 40: 2738–42.
40. , . The ischemic stroke patient who worsens: new assessment and management approaches. Rev Neurol Dis 2007; 4: 85–91.
41. , . Evolving stroke and the ischemic penumbra. Neurology. 1996; 47: 884–8.
42. , , , et al. Evidence of the effectiveness of continuous positive airway pressure in the treatment of sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999; 159: 495–501.
43. , , , et al. Comparison of therapeutic and subtherapeutic nasal continuous positive airway pressure for obstructive sleep apnoea: a randomised prospective parallel trial. Lancet 1999; 353: 2100–5.
44. , , , et al. Guidelines for the early management of adults with ischemic stroke: a guideline from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Stroke Council, Clinical Cardiology Council, Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention Council, and the Atherosclerotic Peripheral Vascular Disease and Quality of Care Outcomes in Research Interdisciplinary Working Groups: the American Academy of Neurology affirms the value of this guideline as an educational tool for neurologists. Circulation 2007; 115: e478–534.
45. , , , et al. Early treatment of obstructive apnoea and stroke outcome: a randomised controlled trial. Eur Respir J 2011; 37: 1128–36.
46. , , , et al. Influence of continuous positive airway pressure on outcomes of rehabilitation in stroke patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Stroke 2011; 42: 1062–7.
47. , , , et al. Continuous positive airway pressure treatment reduces mortality in patients with ischemic stroke and obstructive sleep apnea, a 5-year follow-up study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2009; 180: 36–41.
48. , . Sleep-related breathing and sleep-wake disturbances in ischemic stroke. Neurology 2009; 73: 1313–22.
49. , , , et al. Safety and tolerability of early noninvasive ventilatory correction using bilevel positive airway pressure in acute ischemic stroke. Stroke 2011; 42: 1030–4.
50. , , , et al. Continuous positive airway pressure ventilation for acute ischemic stroke: a randomized feasibility study. Stroke 2012; 43: 1137–9.
51. , , , et al. Auto-titrating continuous positive airway pressure for patients with acute transient ischemic attack: a randomized feasibility trial. Stroke 2010; 41: 1464–70.
52. , , , et al. Acceptance, effectiveness and safety of continuous positive airway pressure in acute stroke: a pilot study. Respir Med 2009; 103: 59–66.
53. , , , et al. Reversed Robin Hood syndrome in a patient with luxury perfusion after acute ischemic stroke. Circulation. 2011; 123: e243–4.
54. , , , et al. Clinical guideline for the evaluation, management and long-term care of obstructive sleep apnea in adults. J Clin Sleep Med 2009; 5: 263–76.