1. . Consensus workshop on advanced diagnostic andrology techniques. Hum Reprod 1996; 11: 1463–79.
2. , Spontaneous lipid peroxidation in rabbit epididymal spermatozoa. Biol Reprod 1982; 27: 1102–8.
3. , , Production of superoxide and activity of superoxide dismutase in rabbit epididymal spermatozoa. Biol Reprod 1982; 27: 1109–18.
4. , Lipid peroxidation and the reactions of superoxide and hydrogen peroxide in mouse spermatozoa. Biol Reprod 1984; 30: 833–41.
5. , , , Spontaneous lipid peroxidation and production of hydrogen peroxide and superoxide in human spermatozoa. Superoxide dismutase as major enzyme protectant against oxygen toxicity. J Androl 1987; 8: 338–48.
6. , Cellular basis of defective sperm function and its association with the genesis of reactive oxygen species by human spermatozoa. J Reprod Fertil 1987; 81: 459–69.
7. , Differential incorporation of fatty acids into and peroxidative loss of fatty acids from phospholipids of human spermatozoa. Mol Reprod Dev 1995; 42: 334–46.
8. , , , et al. Ascorbic acid protects against endogenous oxidative DNA damage in human sperm. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1991; 88: 11003–6.
9. , , , et al. Smoking and low antioxidant levels increase oxidative damage to sperm DNA. Mutat Res 1996; 351: 199–203.
10. , , , et al. Characterization of subsets of human spermatozoa at different stages of maturation: implications in the diagnosis and treatment of male infertility. Hum Reprod 2001; 16: 1912–21.
11. , , , et al. Leukocytospermia is associated with increased reactive oxygen species production by human spermatozoa. Fert Steril 2002; 78: 1215–24.
12. The antioxidant glutathione peroxidase family and spermatozoa: a complex story. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2006; 250: 70–9.
13. , , , et al. Relative impact of oxidative stress on the functional competence and genomic integrity of human spermatozoa. Biol Reprod 1998; 59: 1037–46.
14. , , Clinical relevance of oxidative stress in male factor infertility: an update. Am J Reprod Immunol 2008; 59: 2–11.
15. , , Incidence and level of seminal reactive oxygen species in normal men. Urology 1995; 45: 103–7.
16. , , , et al. Characterization of oxidative stress status by a simple clinical test: evaluation of reactive oxygen species levels in whole semen and isolated spermatozoa. Fertil Steril 2005; 83: 800–3.
17. , Relationships of mammalian sperm motility and morphology to hydrodynamic aspects of cell function. Biol Reprod 1981; 25: 920–30.
18. A critical review of the physiological importance and analysis of sperm movement in mammals. Hum Reprod Update 1997; 3: 403–39.
19. , Variable kinematics of capacitating human spermatozoa. Hum Reprod 1995; 10: 3178–82.
20. . Guidelines on the application of CASA technology in the analysis of spermatozoa. Hum Reprod 1998; 13: 142–5.
21. CASA – practical aspects. J Androl 2000; 21: 515–24.
22. , , , Prediction of fertilizing ability by sperm kinematics. Abstract OC-05–043. J Ass Reprod Genet 1997; 14(5) Suppl 52S.
23. , Laboratory investigation of the infertile male. In: , ed. A Textbook of In-Vitro Fertilization and Assisted Reproduction. 3rd edn. London: Taylor & Francis Medical Books 2005: 61–91.
24. , , , et al. A test of the human sperm acrosome reaction following ionophore challenge: relationship to fertility and other seminal parameters. J Androl 1991; 12: 98–103.
25. , , , et al. The significance of the ionophore-challenged acrosome reaction in the prediction of successful outcome of controlled ovarian stimulation and intrauterine insemination. Hum Reprod 2003; 18: 534–9.
26. , , Normal range and variation of the zona pellucida-induced acrosome reaction in fertile men. Fertil Steril 2003; 80: 384–9.
27. , Disordered zona pellucida-induced acrosome reaction and failure of in vitro fertilization in patients with unexplained infertility. Fertil Steril 2003; 79: 74–80.
28. , , , et al. Zona pellucida induced acrosome reaction, sperm morphology, and sperm-zona binding assessments among subfertile men. J Assist Reprod Genet 2002; 19: 329–34.
29. , , , et al. Relationship between zona pellucida-induced acrosome reaction, sperm morphology, sperm-zona pellucida binding, and in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril 2003; 79: 49–55.
30. . WHO Laboratory Manual for the Analysis of Human Semen and Sperm-Cervical Mucus Interaction. 4th edn. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press 1999.
31. , , Combined use of fluorescent peanut agglutinin lectin and Hoechst 33258 to monitor the acrosomal status and vitality of human spermatozoa. Hum Reprod 1990; 5: 99–103.
32. , , , Two simple methods for detecting acrosome-reacted human sperm. Gamete Res 1986; 15: 213–26.
33. , A new procedure for rapidly scoring acrosome reactions of human sperm. Gamete Res 1980; 3: 211–6.
34. Practical Laboratory Andrology. New York: Oxford University Press 1994.
35. , , , et al. The hemizona assay (HZA): development of a diagnostic test for binding of human spermatozoa to the human zona pellucida to predict fertilization potential. Fertil Steril 1988; 49: 688–93.
36. , , , et al. The hemizona assays (HZA): a predictor of human sperm fertilizing potential in in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment. J in Vitro Fertil Embryo Transf 1989; 6: 44–9.
37. , , , A human sperm-zona pellucida binding test using oocytes that failed to fertilize in vitro. Fertil Steril 1988; 50: 782–8.
38. , , , et al. Hemizona assay and teratozoospermia: increasing sperm insemination concentrations to enhance zona pellucida binding. Fertil Steril 1990; 54: 497–503.
39. , , , et al. Sperm selection capacity of the human zona pellucida. Mol Reprod Dev 1991; 30: 346–52.
40. , The clinical significance of sperm-zona pellucida binding: 17 years later. Front Biosci 2006; 1: 1227–33.
41. , , , et al. Sperm function assays and their predictive value for fertilization outcome in IVF therapy: a meta-analysis. Hum Reprod Update 2000; 6: 160–8.
42. , , , et al. GSTM1 genotype influences the susceptibility of men to sperm DNA damage associated with exposure to air pollution. Mutat Res 2007; 625: 20–8.
43. , , , A comparison of DNA damage in testicular and proximal epididymal spermatozoa in obstructive azoospermia. Mol Hum Reprod 1999; 5: 831–5.
44. , , , et al. An algorithm to predict pregnancy in assisted conception. Mol Hum Reprod 2004; 19: 1385–90.
45. , , , et al. Efficient treatment of infertility due to sperm DNA damage by ICSI with testicular spermatozoa. Hum Reprod 2005; 20: 226–30.
46. , , , et al. Characterization of subsets of human spermatozoa at different stages of maturation: implications in the diagnosis and treatment of male infertility. Hum Reprod 2001; 16: 1912–21.
47. , , Decline in fertility of mouse sperm with abnormal chromatin during epididymal passage as revealed by ICSI. Hum Reprod 2005; 20: 3101–8.
48. , , , Oxidative DNA damage precedes DNA fragmentation after experimental stroke in rat brain. FASEB J 2000; 14: 955–67.
49. , , , et al. Sperm DNA fragmentation: threshold value in male fertility. Hum Reprod 2005; 20: 3446–51.
50. , , , et al. Utility of the sperm chromatin structure assay as a diagnostic and prognostic tool in the human fertility clinic. Hum Reprod 1999; 14: 1039–49.
51. , , , et al. DNA breakage detection-FISH (DBD-FISH) in human spermatozoa: technical variants evidence different structural features. Mutat Res 2000; 453: 77–82.
52. , , , et al. The sperm chromatin dispersion test: a simple method for the determination of sperm DNA fragmentation. J Androl 2003; 24: 59–66.
53. , , , et al. Presence of endogenous nicks in DNA of ejaculated human spermatozoa and its relationship to chromomycin A3 accessibility. Biol Reprod 1995; 52: 864–7.
54. , , , et al. A simple technique for the quantification of low levels of DNA damage in individual cells. Exp Cell Res 1998; 15: 1338–44.
55. , , , et al. Abundant alkali-sensitive sites in DNA of human and mouse sperm. Exp Cell Res 1989; 184: 461–70.
56. , , Detection of DNA strand breaks in individual apoptotic cells by the in situ terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase and nick translation assays. Cancer Res 1993; 53: 945–51.
57. , , , Sperm DNA quality predicts intrauterine insemination outcome: a prospective cohort study. Hum Reprod 2002; 17: 3122–8.
58. Efficient treatment of infertility due to sperm DNA damage by ICSI with testicular spermatozoa. Hum Reprod 2005; 20: 2031–2.
59. , , , et al. Sperm DNA fragmentation: paternal effect on early post-implantation embryo development in ART. Hum Reprod 2006; 21: 2876–81.
60. , , , et al. Value of the sperm chromatin dispersion test in predicting pregnancy outcome in intrauterine insemination: a blind prospective study. Hum Reprod 2006; 21: 738–44.
61. , , , et al. Importance of DNA fragmentation in apoptosis with regard to TUNEL specificity. Biomed Pharmacother 1998; 52: 252–8.
62. , Data analysis of two in vivo fertility studies using Sperm Chromatin Structure Assay-derived DNA fragmentation index vs. pregnancy outcome. Fertil Steril 2008; 90: 1229–31.
63. , , , et al. Advancing age has differential effects on DNA damage, chromatin integrity, gene mutations, and aneuploidies in sperm. Proc Natl Acad Sci 2006; 103: 9601–6.
64. , , , Selecting cryopreserved semen for assisted reproductive techniques based on the level of sperm nuclear DNA fragmentation resulted in pregnancy. Fertil Steril 2004; 81: 712–3.
65. , , , Significant decrease in sperm deoxyribonucleic acid fragmentation after varicocelectomy. Fertil Steril 2008; 90: 1800–4.
66. , , , et al. Human sperm survival assay as a bioassay for the assisted reproductive technologies laboratory. J Androl 2003; 24: 16–8.
67. , , Optimizing sensitivity of the human sperm motility assay for embryo toxicity testing. Hum Reprod 2000; 15: 1586–91.
68. , , , et al. A sperm survival test and in-vitro fertilization outcome in the presence of male factor infertility. Hum Reprod 1997; 12: 1969–73.
69. , , , The spontaneous acrosome reaction of human spermatozoa incubated in vitro. Hum Reprod 1989; 4: 57–62.