1. , . Internal and external quality control in the andrology laboratory. In: , , , eds. Handbook of the Assisted Reproduction Laboratory. Boca Raton: CRC Press 2000: 269–77.
2. . Quality control, quality assurance, and management of the cryopreservation laboratory. In: , , , eds. Handbook of the Assisted Reproduction Laboratory. Boca Raton: CRC Press 2000: 303–25.
3. . Out of the Crisis. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press 1986.
4. , . Quality and Risk Management in the IVF Laboratory. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 2005.
5. . Quality control and quality assurance. Obstet Gynecol Clin N Am 1998; 9: 285–309.
6. , , , et al. Accreditation of medical laboratories in the European Union. Clin Chem Lab Med 2007; 45: 268–75.
7. . A Practical Guide to Accreditation in Laboratory Medicine. London: ABC Venture Publications 2002.
8. , , , et al. Defining poor and optimum performance in an IVF programme. Hum Reprod 2008; 23: 85–90.
9. , , . Lack of compliance by UK andrology laboratories with World Health Organization recommendations for sperm morphology assessment. Hum Reprod 2005; 12: 3441–5.
10. , , , et al. ESHRE basic semen analysis courses 1995–1999: immediate beneficial effects of standardized training. Hum Reprod 2002; 17: 1299–305.
11. , , , et al. Guideline-based development of quality indicators for subfertility care. Hum Reprod 2007; 22: 2665–72.
12. , , , et al. Clinical indicators: development and applications. Neth J Med 2007; 65: 15–22.
13. , , , et al. Staff management in the in vitro fertilization laboratory. Fertil Steril 2005; 84: 1786–8.
14. , , , et al. Quality specifications for seminal parameters based on clinicians’ opinions. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 2008; 68: 68–76.
15. , , , et al. Quality control workshops in standardization of sperm concentration and motility assessment in multicentre studies. Int J Androl 2005; 28: 144–9.
16. , , , et al. Intra- and inter-individuality variability in human sperm concentration, motility and vitality assessment during a workshop involving ten laboratories. Hum Reprod 2000; 15: 2360–8.
17. , , . Raising standards in semen analysis: Professional and personal responsibility. J Androl 2004; 25: 862–3.
18. , . Understanding interobserver agreement: The kappa statistic. Fam Med 2005; 37: 360–3.
19. , , , et al. Graphical interpretation of analytical data from comparison of a field method with reference method by use of difference plots. Clin Chem 1997; 43: 2039–46.
20. . Technician training and quality control aspects. In: Practical Laboratory Andrology. Oxford: Oxford University Press 1994: 337–347.
21. , , , , . The evaluation of morphological characteristics of human spermatozoa according to stricter criteria. Hum Reprod 1990; 5: 586–92.
22. , , , , , . Predictive value of abnormal sperm morphology in in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril 1988; 49: 112–7.
23. , , , , . Monitoring technologist reading skills in a sperm morphology quality control program. Fertil Steril 2003; 79: 1637–43.
24. , , , et al. Biological variation of seminal parameters in healthy subjects. Hum Reprod 2003; 18: 2082–8.
25. , , . Can Westgard Quality Control Rules determine the suitability of frozen sperm pellets as a control material for computer assisted semen analyzers?J Assist Reprod Genet 2003; 20: 38–45.
26. , , . Implementing comprehensive quality control in the andrology laboratory. Hum Reprod 1995; 10: 2096–106.
27. , , , et al. Standardization and quality control for the determination of alpha-glucosidase in seminal plasma. Arch Androl 2006; 52: 447–53.
28. , . A new test for ‘sufficient homogeneity’. Analyst 2001; 126: 1414–7.
29. 13528. Statistical Methods for Use in Proficiency Testing by Interlaboratory Comparisons. Geneva, Switzerland: International Standardization Organization 2005.
30. , . Generation and application of data on biological variation in clinical chemistry. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci 1989; 27: 409–37.
31. , , , . Introduction: strategies to set global quality specifications in laboratory medicine. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 1999; 59: 477–8.
32. , , , et al. Current databases on biological variation: pros, cons and progress. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 1999; 59: 491–500.
33. , , , et al. Quality specifications for seminal parameters based on the state of the art. Hum Reprod 2005; 20: 2573–8
34. . Use and interpretation of common statistical tests in method comparison studies. Clin Chem 2008; 54: 612.
35. , , . Experience with external quality control in spermatology. Hum Reprod 1999; 14: 765–9.
36. . WHO Laboratory Manual for the Examination of Human Semen and Sperm-Cervical Mucus Interaction. 4th edn. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press 1999.
37. , . Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement. Lancet 1986; i: 307–10.
38. . Quality Control and Quality Assurance. Record Keeping and Impact on ART Performance and Clinical Outcome. In: , , , eds. Infertility and Reproductive Medicine: Clinics of North America 1998: 285–309.
39. , , , et al. Procedure control and acceptance sampling plans for donor sperm banks: a theoretical study. Cell Tissue Bank 2007; 8(4): 257–65.
40. , , , et al. External quality control program for semen analysis: Spanish experience. J Assist Reprod Genet 2005; 22: 379–87.
41. . Statistical Methods in Laboratory Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann 1991.
42. , . Errors inherent in the performance of a routine semen analysis. Br J Urol 1983; 55: 434–6.
43. , , . External quality control in the andrology laboratory: an experimental multicenter trail. Fertil Steril 1990; 54: 308–14.
44. . External quality assessment for semen analysis and sperm antibody detection: results of a pilot scheme. Hum Reprod 1995; 10: 620–5.
45. , , , et al. Results of the American Association of Bioanalysts national proficiency testing program in andrology. Hum Reprod 2000; 15: 680–6.
46. . Standards for investigation of human semen. Andrologie 1971; 3: 49–64.
47. . Analysis of semen. In: , , eds. The Testis. New York: Raven Press 1981: 381–99.
48. . Laboratory standards in routine clinical andrology. Reprod Med Rev 1994; 3: 97–111.
49. , , , et al. Laboratory Manual for the Examination of Human Semen and Semen-Cervical Mucus Interaction. Singapore: Press Concern 1980.
50. . WHO Laboratory Manual for the Examination of Human Semen and Semen-Cervical Mucus Interaction. 2nd edn. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 1987.
51. . WHO Laboratory Manual for the Examination of Human Semen and Sperm-Cervical Mucus Interaction. 3rd edn. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 1992.
52. , , . A technique for standardization and quality control of subjective sperm motility assessments in semen analysis. Fertil Steril 1997; 67: 1156–8.
53. . Medical laboratories – Particular Requirements for Quality and Competence. Geneva: International Organization for Standardization 2007.
54. . Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement. Geneva: International Organization for Standardization 1993.
55. . Assessment of Uncertainties in Measurement for Calibration and Testing Laboratories. Sydney: National Association of Testing Authorities 1999.
56. . External quality assessment for semen analysis and sperm antibody detection: Results of a pilot scheme. Hum Reprod 1995; 10: 620–5.
57. , , , et al. Semen analysis and external quality control schemes for semen analysis need global standardization. Int J Androl 2002; 25: 306–11.
58. . A critical assessment of the impact of the European Union Tissues and Cells Directive (2004) on laboratory practices in assisted conception. Reprod Biomed Online 2005; 11: 162–76.
59. . Challenges of the EU ‘tissues and cells’ directive. Reprod Biomed Online 2005; 11: 404–7.
61. , . A brief review of current and proposed federal government regulation of assisted reproduction laboratories in the United States. J Androl 2006; 23: 611–7.