1. , and , Breast-Feeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession, 5th edn (St. Louis, MO: Mosby, 1999).
3. ,1965–2006, Columbus, OH. Wenjun Zhou, personal communication.
4. , and , Current status of research on the composition of bovine and human milk lipids. In: ed. and , Lipids in Infant Nutrition (Champaign, IL: AOCS Press, 1998), pp. 168–91.
5. and , Infant formulas – a brief insight. Nutr Food Sci (1997), 97(3):112–116.
7. , and , Modern Epidemiology, 2nd edn (Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven, 1998).
9. , Session 1: Feeding and infant development breast-feeding and immune function. Proc Nutr Soc (2007), 66:384–96.
10. , , , , , and , et al., Promotion of Breast-feeding Intervention Trial (PROBIT): a randomized trial in the Republic of Belarus. JAMA (2001), 285:413–20.
11. , , , , , and , Exclusive breast-feeding for at least 4 months protects against otitis media. Pediatrics (1993), 91:867–72.
12. , , and , Breast-feeding and hospitalization for diarrheal and respiratory infection in the United Kingdom Millennium Cohort Study. Pediatrics (2007), 119:e837–42.
13. Collaborative Study Team on the Role of Breast-feeding on the Prevention of Infant Mortality, Effect of breast-feeding on infant and child mortality due to infectious diseases in less developed countries: a pooled analysis. Lancet (2000), 355:451–5.
14. , , , , , , et al., Effect of community-based promotion of exclusive breast-feeding on diarrhoeal illness and growth: a cluster randomised controlled trial. Lancet (2003), 361:1418–23.
16. and , for La Leche League International, The Womanly Art of Breast-Feeding, 7th rev. edn (Schaumburg, IL: La Leche League International, 2004).
17. , , , , and , Energy and protein intakes of breast-fed and formula-fed infants during the first year of life and their association with growth velocity: the DARLING Study. Am J Clin Nutr (1993), 58:152–61.
18. , , , , and , Size at birth, childhood growth and obesity in adult life. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord (2001), 25:735–40.
19. , , , , , , et al., A prospective study of serum insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) and IGF-binding protein-3 in 942 healthy infants: associations with birth weight, gender, growth velocity, and breast-feeding. J Clin Endocrinol Metab (2006), 91:820–6.
20. , , , , , and , Breast vs bottle: endocrine responses are different with formula feeding. Lancet (1980), 1:1267–9.
21. , , , , and , Leptin levels in breast-fed and formula-fed infants. Acta Paediatr (2002), 91:897–902.
22. , , , , , and , To what extent is the protective effect of breast-feeding on future overweight explained by decreased maternal feeding restriction?Pediatrics (2006), 118:2341–8.
23. , , , , and , Effect of infant feeding on the risk of obesity across the life course: a quantitative review of published evidence. Pediatrics (2005), 115:1367–77.
24. , , , , , , et al., A longitudinal study of infant feeding and obesity throughout life course. Int J Obes (2007), 31:1078–85.
25. , , , , , and , Effect of diet on the fatty acid composition of the major phospholipids of infant cerebral cortex. Arch Dis Child (1995), 72:198–203.
26. , The role of essential fatty acids in neural development: implications for perinatal nutrition. Am J Clin Nutr (1993), 57(Suppl):703S–10S.
27. , , and , Breast-feeding and cognitive development: a meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr (1999), 70:525–35.
28. , , and , Effect of breast feeding on intelligence in children: prospective study, sibling pairs analysis, and meta-analysis. BMJ (2006), 333:945.
29. , , and , Breast-feeding effects on intelligence quotient in 4- and 11-year-old children. Pediatrics (1999), 103:e71.
30. , , , and , Home environment, not duration of breast-feeding, predicts intelligence quotient of children at four years. Nutrition (2007), 23:236–41.
31. , A review of the effects of breast-feeding on respiratory infections, atopy, and childhood asthma. J Asthma (2004), 41:605–21.
32. , , and , Breast-feeding and the risk of bronchial asthma in childhood: a systematic review with meta-analysis of prospective studies. J Pediatr (2001), 139:261–6.
33. , , and , Breast-feeding does not increase the risk of asthma at 14 years. Pediatrics (2006), 117:e787–92.
34. , , , , , , et al., Long-term relation between breast-feeding and development of atopy and asthma in children and young adults: a longitudinal study. Lancet (2002), 360:901–7.
35. , , , , , and , The effects of a diet rich in docosahexaenoic acid on organ and vascular fatty acid composition in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids (1999), 61:289–95.
36. , , and , Breast-feeding in infancy and blood pressure in later life: systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Epidemiol (2005), 161:15–26.
37. and , On the possibility of a human breast cancer virus. Nature (1972), 236:103–6.
38. , , , , and , Breast-feeding and cancer: the Boyd Orr cohort and a systematic review with meta-analysis. J Natl Cancer Inst (2005), 97:1446–57.
39. , , , , , , et al., Being breast-fed in infancy and breast cancer incidence in adult life: results from the two nurses’ health studies. Am J Epidemiol (2001), 153:275–83.
40. , Is type 1 diabetes a disease of the gut immune system triggered by cow's milk insulin?Adv Exp Med Biol (2005), 569:151–6.
41. and , Cow's milk and type 1 diabetes: the real debate is about mucosal immune function. Diabetes (1999), 48:1501–7.
42. and , A meta-analysis of infant diet and insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: do biases play a role?Epidemiology (1996), 7:87–92.
43. , , , , , , et al., Lack of association between duration of breast-feeding or introduction of cow's milk and development of islet autoimmunity. Diabetes (1999), 48:2145–9.
44. , , , , and the ABIS Study Group, Short duration of breast-feeding as a risk-factor for beta-cell autoantibodies in 5-year-old children from the general population. Br J Nutr (2007), 97:111–16.
45. , , , , and , Early infant feeding and risk of developing type 1 diabetes-associated autoantibodies. JAMA (2003), 290:1721–8.
46. , , , , and , Does breast-feeding influence risk of type 2 diabetes in later life? A quantitative analysis of published evidence. Am J Clin Nutr (2006), 84:1043–54.
47. and , Toward a physiological approach to breast cancer prevention. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev (1994), 3:353–64.
48. , , , , and , Do regular ovulatory cycles increase breast cancer risk?Cancer (1985), 56:1206–8.
49. , , and , History of breast-feeding in relation to breast cancer risk: a review of the epidemiologic literature. J Natl Cancer Inst (2000), 92:302–12.
50. , , and , Protective effect of breast feeding on breast cancer and body burden of carcinogenic organochlorines. J Natl Cancer Inst (1994), 86:803.
51. , Breast cancer and breast-feeding: collaborative reanalysis of individual data from 47 epidemiological studies in 30 countries, including 50302 women with breast cancer and 96973 women without the disease. Lancet (2002), 360:187–95.
52. , , , and , Re: History of breast-feeding in relation to breast cancer risk: a review of the epidemiologic literature. J Natl Cancer Inst (2000), 92:942; author reply 943.
53. , , , , , , et al., Prospective assessment of breast-feeding and breast cancer incidence among 89,887 women. Lancet (1996), 347:431–6.
54. , , , and , Breast-feeding and reduced risk of breast cancer in an Icelandic cohort study. Am J Epidemiol (2001), 154:37–42.
55. , Post-lactational mammary gland regression: molecular basis and implications for breast cancer. Expert Rev Mol Med (2006), 8:1–15.
57. , Energy and protein requirements during lactation. Annu Rev Nutr (1997), 17:19–36.
58. , Impact of breast-feeding on maternal nutritional status. Adv Exp Med Biol (2004), 554:91–100.
59. , , and , Lactation and weight retention. Am J Clin Nutr (1997), 66:1116–24.
60. , , , and , Effects of exclusive breast-feeding for four versus six months on maternal nutritional status and infant motor development: results of two randomized trials in Honduras. J Nutr (2001), 131:262–7.
61. , , , and , Prospective assessment of exclusive breast-feeding in relation to weight change in women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord (2003), 27:815–20.
62. , , and , Maternal weight-loss patterns during prolonged lactation. Am J Clin Nutr (1993), 58:162–6.
63. , , and , Postpartum changes in maternal weight and body fat depots in lactating vs nonlactating women. Am J Clin Nutr (1989), 49:259–65.
64. , , , , and , Adjustments in energy expenditure and substrate utilization during late pregnancy and lactation. Am J Clin Nutr (1999), 69:299–307.
65. and , Independent of body adiposity, breast-feeding has a protective effect on glucose metabolism in young adult women. Br J Nutr (2004), 92:905–12.
66. , , and , Physiological significance of altered insulin metabolism in the conscious rat during lactation. Biochem J (1984), 220:455–60.
67. , , , , and , Duration of lactation and incidence of type 2 diabetes. JAMA (2005), 294:2601–10.
68. , , , , , , et al., Effect of postpartum lactation on lipoprotein lipids and apoproteins. J Clin Endocrinol Metab (1985), 60:542–7.
69. , , , , and , Duration of lactation and incidence of myocardial infarction. Am J Obstet Gynecol (2006), 195:S34.
70. , , , and , Does long-term lactation protect premenopausal women against hypertension risk? A Korean women's cohort study. Prev Med (2005), 41:433–8.
71. , , , , , and , Lactation and changes in maternal metabolic risk factors. Obstet Gynecol (2007), 109:729–38.