1. (1968). Foreword. In and (eds.), The battered child (p. v). Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
2. (1988). Contributions to the history of psychology: French historical views on the acceptability of evidence regarding child sexual abuse. Psychological Reports, 63, 343–353.
3. (1968). A history of child abuse and infanticide. In and (eds.), The battered child (pp. 3–17). Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
4. (1860). Étude médico-légale sur les sévices et mauvais traitements exercés sur des enfants. Annales de Hygiene Publique et Médicine Légale, 13, 361–398.
5. (1878). Étude médico-légale sur les attentats aux moeurs, 7th edn. Paris: Baillière.
6. (1946). Multiple fractures in the long bones of infants suffering from chronic subdural hematoma. American Journal of Roentgenology, 56, 163–173.
7. (1965). Significance of the history in the diagnosis of traumatic injury to children. Journal of Pediatrics, 67, 1000–1014.
8. (1972). On the theory and practice of shaking infants: Its potential residual effects of permanent brain damage and mental retardation. American Journal of Diseases of Children, 124, 161–169.
9. (1978). Sexual abuse: Another hidden pediatric problem. Pediatrics, 62, 382–389.
10. ., ., ., and (1962). The battered-child syndrome. Journal of the American Medical Association, 181, 17–24.
11. (1992). Trauma and recovery: The aftermath of violence: From domestic abuse to political terror. New York: Basic Books.
12. ., and (1996). The history of trauma in psychiatry. In , and (eds.), Traumatic stress: The effects of overwhelming experience on mind, body, and society (pp. 47–74). New York: Guilford.
13. (1998). The history of child abuse. Journal of Psychohistory, 25, 216–236.
14. (1984). The assault on truth: Freud’s suppression of the seduction theory. London: Faber & Faber.
15. (1986). The history of child abuse. Forensic Science International, 30, 135–141.
16. (1859). Traité clinique et thérapeutique de l’hystérie. Paris: Baillière.
17. (1998). Healing the mind: A history of psychiatry from antiquity to the present. London: Norton.
18. (1970). The discovery of the unconscious: The history and evolution of dynamic psychiatry. New York: Basic Books.
19. and (1989). Le traumatisme psychologique dans l’oeuvre de Pierre Janet. Annales Médico-Psychologiques, 147, 983–987.
20. (1991). Looking and listening: The construction of clinical knowledge in Charcot and Freud. Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society, 17, 71–111.
21. and (1882). Inversion du sens génital et autres perversions sexuelles. Archives de Neurologie, 7, 296–322.
22. (2001). Jean-Martin Charcot and les névroses traumatiques: From medicine to culture in French trauma theory of the late nineteenth century. In and (eds.), Traumatic pasts (pp. 115–139). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
23. (2008). Charcot, Jean-Martin (1825–1893). In , and (eds.), The encyclopedia of trauma (pp. 111–112). New York: Wiley.
24. (1919). Les médications psychologiques. Paris: Félix Alcan. [English edition: Psychological healing. New York: Macmillan, 1925.]
25. (1896). Further remarks on the neuro-psychosis of defence. In J. Strachey (ed.), The standard edition of the complete psychological works of Sigmund Freud, Vol. 3. London: Vintage, 2001.
26. (1896). The aetiology of hysteria. In J. Strachey (ed.), The standard edition of the complete psychological works of Sigmund Freud, Vol. 3. London: Vintage, 2001.
27. (1897). Letter to Fliess (letter 69). In J. Strachey (ed.), The standard edition of the complete psychological works of Sigmund Freud, Vol. 1. London: Vintage, 2001.
28. (1897). Letter to Fliess (letter 67). In J. Strachey (ed.), The standard edition of the complete psychological works of Sigmund Freud, Vol. 1. London: Vintage, 2001.
29. (1954). The origins of psychoanalysis. New York: Basic Books.
30. Collins dictionary and thesaurus (1991). Glasgow: HarperCollins.
31. (2001). Early psycho-analytic publications. In J. Strachey (ed.), The standard edition of the complete psychological works of Sigmund Freud, Vol. 3. London: Vintage.
32. (1988). Postcards from the end of the world: Child abuse in Freud’s Vienna. New York: Atheneum.
33. (1949). Confusion of tongues between adults and the child. International Journal of Psycho-analysis, 30, 225–231. [Original presented to the International Psycho-Analytic Congress in 1932.]
34. (2003). Images in psychiatry: Sandor Ferenczi, MD, 1873–1933. American Journal of Psychiatry, 160, 1937.
35. and (2007). Relationship between trauma and dissociation. In , and (eds.), Traumatic dissociation: Neurobiology and treatment (pp. 3–30). Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Press.
36. and (1989). A reader’s guide to Pierre Janet on dissociation: A neglected intellectual heritage. Dissociation, 2, 3–16.
37. (1994). Morton Prince and B.C.A.: A historical footnote on the confrontation between dissociation theory and Freudian psychology in a case of multiple personality. In and (eds.), Psychological concept and dissociative disorders (pp. 85–129). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
38. (1905). The Dissociation of a Personality. New York: Longmans, Green & Co.
39. (1941). The traumatic neuroses of war. New York: Hoeber.
40. (1915). A contribution to the study of shell shock. Lancet, i, 316–320.
41. and (1939). Subdural hematoma in infancy and childhood. Journal of the American Medical Association, 112, 198–204.
42. (1930). Chronic subdural hematoma in infants. American Journal of Diseases of Children, 39, 980–1021.
43. ., and (1963). The “maltreatment syndrome” in children. New England Journal of Medicine, 269, 1389–1394.
44. (2002). Introduction. In , , et al. (eds.), The APSAC handbook on child maltreatment, 2nd edn (pp. xi–xvi). London: Sage.
45. (2004). The natural history of child abuse: A study in social problem definition. British Journal of Social Work, 9, 431–451.
46. (1888). Acute periosteal swellings in several young infants of the same family, probably rickety in nature. British Medical Journal, i, 856.
47. and (1976). Child abuse and neglect: The family and the community. Cambridge, MA: Ballinger.
48. ., and (1976). Modern synopsis of comprehensive psychiatry. Baltimore, MD: Williams & Wilkins.
49. (1978). The elusive ‘crime’ of emotional abuse. Child Abuse & Neglect, 2, 89–99.
50. (1975). Unraveling child abuse. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 45, 346–356.
51. (1981). Father–daughter incest. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
52. (1977). Munchausen syndrome by proxy. The hinterland of child abuse. Lancet, ii, 343–345.
53. (1978). Child abuse and neglect: The myth of classlessness. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 48, 608–617.
54. (1983). The child sexual abuse accommodation syndrome. Child Abuse and Neglect, 7, 177–193.
55. and (2002). Sexual abuse of children. In et al. (eds.), The APSAC handbook on child maltreatment, 2nd edn (pp. 55–78). London: Sage.
56. and (2002). Child neglect. In , , , et al. (eds.), The APSAC handbook on child maltreatment, 2nd edn (pp. 3–20). London: Sage.
57. ., and (2006). Research review: Risk and resilience in cases of emotional abuse. Child and Family Social Work, 11, 73–82.
58. ., ., and (1990). Sexual abuse in a national survey of adult men and women: Prevalence, characteristics and risk factors. Child Abuse & Neglect, 14, 19–28.
59. (1988). Study findings: Study of the National incidence and prevalence of child abuse and neglect. Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services.
60. and (1995). A review of the epidemiological research on child sexual abuse: Community and college student samples. Child Abuse Review, 4, 84–98.
61. and (1997). The prevalence of child sexual abuse: Integrative review adjustment for potential response and measurement biases. Child Abuse and Neglect, 21, 391–398.
62. ., and (1993). The epidemiology of child abuse: Findings from the Second National Incidence and Prevalence Study of Child Abuse and Neglect. American Journal of Public Health, 83, 1622–1624.
63. ., ., . (1987). Childhood sexual and physical abuse as factors in adult psychiatric illness. American Journal of Psychiatry, 144, 1426–1430.
64. ., ., and (1988). Prevalence of a history of sexual abuse among female psychiatric patients in a state hospital system. Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 39, 300–304.
65. and (1983). Incest reported by children and adolescents hospitalised for severe psychiatric problems. American Journal of Psychiatry, 140, 708–711.
66. and (1987). Assault experiences of 100 psychiatric inpatients: Evidence of the need for routine inquiry. American Journal of Psychiatry, 144, 908–913.
67. (1991). The universality of incest. Journal of Psychohistory, 19, 123–164.
68. (2002). Does stress damage the brain: Understanding trauma-related disorders from a mind–body perspective. New York: Norton.
69. (2000). The trauma model: A solution to the problem of comorbidity in psychiatry. Richardson, TX: Manitou Communications.
70. ., and (2006). The haunted self: Structural dissociation and the treatment of chronic traumatization. New York: Norton.
71. (1988). On writing childhood history. Journal of Psychohistory, 16, 135–171.
72. ., ., ., and (2008). Child maltreatment and psychosis: A return to a genuinely integrated bio-psycho-social model. Clinical Schizophrenia and Related Psychosis, October, 235–254.
73. (2004). Schizophrenia: Innovations in diagnosis and treatment. New York: Haworth.
74. and (1997). Influential papers in child abuse. Child Abuse & Neglect, 21, 319–326.
75. (2004). Dissociative disorders: A personal “work in progress.” Australasian Psychiatry, 12, 245–252.