1. , , , et al. Clinical information systems: instant ubiquitous clinical data for error reduction and improved clinical outcomes. Academic Emergency Medicine 2004; 11: 1162–9.
2. , , , . Supporting patient care in the emergency department with a computerized whiteboard system. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 2008; 15: 184–94.
3. , , . Accuracy and time requirements of a bar-code inventory system for medical supplies. American Journal of Hospital Pharmacy 1988; 45: 341–4.
4. , , , et al. Effect of bar-code technology on the safety of medication administration. New England Journal of Medicine 2010; 362: 1698–707.
5. , , , et al. Medication dispensing errors and potential adverse drug events before and after implementing bar code technology in the pharmacy. Annals of Internal Medicine 2006; 145: 426–34.
6. , . Bar coding for patient safety. New England Journal of Medicine 2005; 353: 329–31.
7. , , , et al. Rapid process redesign in a university-based emergency department: decreasing waiting time intervals and improving patient satisfaction. Annals of Emergency Medicine 2002; 39: 168–77.
8. . Turning around the turn-arounds: improving ED throughput processes. Journal of Emergency Nursing 2007; 33: 530–6.
9. , , , . Impact of rapid entry and accelerated care at triage on reducing emergency department patient wait times, lengths of stay, and rate of left without being seen. Annals of Emergency Medicine 2005; 46: 491–7.
10. , , . Direct-to-room: one department’s approach to improving ED throughput. Journal of Emergency Nursing 2007; 33: 26–30.
11. , , . Strategies for dealing with emergency department overcrowding: a one-year study on how bedside registration affects patient throughput times. Journal of Emergency Medicine 2007; 32: 337–42.
12. , , . The effect of in-room registration on emergency department length of stay. Annals of Emergency Medicine 2005; 45: 128–33.
13. , , , , . Where’s the beef? The promise and the reality of clinical documentation. Academic Emergency Medicine 2004; 11: 1127–34.
14. , , , , . Implementation of an on-line emergency unit nursing system. Proceedings, AMIA Symposium 1998: 330–3.
15. , , , et al. Physician and nurse satisfaction with an electronic medical record system. Journal of Emergency Medicine 2004; 27: 419–24.
16. . Promoting patient safety and preventing medical error in emergency departments. Academic Emergency Medicine 2000; 7: 1204–22.
17. , , , et al. Effect of computerized physician order entry and a team intervention on prevention of serious medication errors. JAMA 1998. 280: 1311–16.
18. , , , et al. The extent and importance of unintended consequences related to computerized provider order entry. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 2007; 14: 415–23.
19. , , . The impact of a pneumatic tube and computerized physician order management on laboratory turnaround time. Annals of Emergency Medicine 2008; 51: 181–5.
20. , , , . Decision support technology in knowledge translation. Academic Emergency Medicine 2007; 14: 942–8.
21. . Effects of computerized clinical decision support systems on practitioner performance and patient outcomes: a systematic review. JAMA 2005; 293: 1223–8.
22. , , , et al. Systematic review: impact of health information technology on quality, efficiency, and costs of medical care. Annals of Internal Medicine 2006; 144: 742–52.
23. , , . A meta-analysis of 16 randomized controlled trials to evaluate computer-based clinical reminder systems for preventive care in the ambulatory setting. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 1996; 3: 399–409.
24. , , . The locality rule and the physician’s dilemma: local medical practices vs the national standard of care. JAMA 2007; 297: 2633–7.
25. , , , et al. Implementing syndromic surveillance: a practical guide informed by the early experience. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 2004; 11: 141–50.
26. , . Early detection of disease outbreaks using the Internet. CMAJ 2009; 180: 829–31.
27. , , , et al. Detecting influenza epidemics using search engine query data. Nature 2009; 457: 1012–14.
28. , , , . Using queueing theory to increase the effectiveness of emergency department provider staffing. Academic Emergency Medicine 2006; 13: 61–8.