1. , , , et al. Identification and characterisation of the high-risk surgical population in the United Kingdom. Crit Care 2006; 10: R81.
2. , , , , . Prospective trial of supranormal values of survivors as therapeutic goals in high-risk surgical patients. Chest 1988; 94: 1176–86.
3. , , , . Physiologic patterns in surviving and nonsurviving shock patients. Use of sequential cardiorespiratory variables in defining criteria for therapeutic goals and early warning of death. Arch Surg 1973; 106: 630–6.
, , . A randomized clinical trial of the effect of deliberate perioperative increase of oxygen delivery on mortality in high-risk surgical patients
. JAMA 1993
5. , , , et al. Reducing the risk of major elective surgery: randomised controlled trial of preoperative optimisation of oxygen delivery. BMJ 1999; 318: 1099–103.
6. , , , , . A prospective, randomized study of goal-oriented hemodynamic therapy in cardiac surgical patients. Anesth Analg 2000; 90: 1052–9.
7. , , , et al. Effects of maximizing oxygen delivery on morbidity and mortality in high-risk surgical patients. Crit Care Med 2000; 28: 3396–404.
8. , Jr., , , et al. The effectiveness of right heart catheterization in the initial care of critically ill patients. SUPPORT Investigators. JAMA 1996; 276: 889–97.
9. . Wet, dry or something else?Br J Anaesth 2006; 97: 755–7.
10. , , , et al. Effects of intravenous fluid restriction on postoperative complications: comparison of two perioperative fluid regimens: a randomized assessor-blinded multicenter trial. Ann Surg 2003; 238: 641–8.
11. , , , et al. The use of a postoperative morbidity survey to evaluate patients with prolonged hospitalization after routine, moderate-risk, elective surgery. Anesth Analg 1999; 89: 514–19.
12. , , , , , . Comparison of commonly used clinical indicators of hypovolaemia with gastrointestinal tonometry. Intensive Care Med 1997; 23: 276–81.
13. , , , et al. Cardiac filling pressures are not appropriate to predict hemodynamic response to volume challenge. Crit Care Med 2007; 35: 64–8.
14. , , . Does central venous pressure predict fluid responsiveness? A systematic review of the literature and the tale of seven mares. Chest 2008; 134: 172–8.
15. , , . Non-invasive Doppler-derived cardiac output: a validation study comparing this technique with thermodilution and Fick methods. Eur J Vasc Surg 1991; 5: 497–500.
16. , , , et al. Validation of esophageal Doppler for noninvasive hemodynamic monitoring under pneumoperitoneum. Surg Endosc 2007; 21: 1349–53.
17. , , , et al. Cardiac output measurement during infrarenal aortic surgery: echo-esophageal Doppler vs. thermodilution catheter. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2006; 20: 26–30.
18. , , , , , . Esophageal Doppler-guided fluid management decreases blood lactate levels in multiple-trauma patients: a randomized controlled trial. Crit Care 2007; 11: R24.
19. , , , . A prospective study on esophageal Doppler hemodynamic assessment in the ED. Am J Emerg Med 2006; 24: 658–63.
20. , . The validity of trans-esophageal Doppler ultrasonography as a measure of cardiac output in critically ill adults. Intensive Care Med 2004; 30: 2060–6.
21. , , , , . Randomised controlled trial investigating the influence of intravenous fluid titration using oesophageal Doppler monitoring during bowel surgery. Anaesthesia 2002; 57: 845–9.
22. , , , et al. Goal-directed intraoperative fluid administration reduces length of hospital stay after major surgery. Anesthesiology 2002; 97: 820–6.
23. , , , et al. Intraoperative oesophageal Doppler guided fluid management shortens postoperative hospital stay after major bowel surgery. Br J Anaesth 2005; 95: 634–42.
24. , , , . Randomized clinical trial assessing the effect of Doppler-optimized fluid management on outcome after elective colorectal resection. Br J Surg 2006; 93: 1069–76.
25. , , , , , . Fluid management for laparoscopic colectomy: a prospective, randomized assessment of goal-directed administration of balanced salt solution or hetastarch coupled with an enhanced recovery program. Dis Colon Rectum 2009; 52: 1935–40.
26. and . Perioperative plasma volume expansion reduces the incidence of gut mucosal hypoperfusion during cardiac surgery. Arch Surg 1995; 130: 423–9.
27. , , , , , . Randomised controlled trial assessing the impact of a nurse delivered, flow monitored protocol for optimisation of circulatory status after cardiac surgery. BMJ 2004; 329: 258.
28. , , . Intraoperative intravascular volume optimisation and length of hospital stay after repair of proximal femoral fracture: randomised controlled trial. BMJ 1997; 315: 909–12.
29. , , , et al. Randomized controlled trial to investigate influence of the fluid challenge on duration of hospital stay and perioperative morbidity in patients with hip fractures. Br J Anaesth 2002; 88: 65–71.
30. , , , et al. Consensus review of optimal perioperative care in colorectal surgery: Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Group recommendations. Arch Surg 2009; 144: 961–9
31. . Esophageal Doppler ultrasound-based cardiac output monitoring for real-time therapeutic management of hospitalized patients. Rockville: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Department of Health & Human Services, 2007.
32. , , . Evidence review: oesophageal Doppler monitoring in patients undergoing high-risk surgery and in critically ill patients. London: NHS Purchasing and Supply Agency – Centre for Evidence-Based Purchasing, 2008.
33. , , , , . A rational approach to perioperative fluid management. Anesthesiology 2008; 109: 723–40.
34. , , , et al. Goal-directed colloid administration improves the microcirculation of healthy and perianastomotic colon. Anesthesiology 2009; 110: 496–504.
35. , , , et al. Hydroxyethyl starches: different products – different effects. Anesthesiology 2009; 111: 187–202.
36. , , , . Dynamic changes in arterial waveform derived variables and fluid responsiveness in mechanically ventilated patients: a systematic review of the literature. Crit Care Med 2009; 37: 2642–7.
37. , , , et al. Stroke volume variation as a predictor of fluid responsiveness in patients undergoing brain surgery. Anesth Analg 2001; 92: 984–9.
38. , , , et al. Goal-directed fluid management based on pulse pressure variation monitoring during high-risk surgery: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Crit Care 2007; 11: R100.
39. , , , et al. Intraoperative fluid optimization using stroke volume variation in high risk surgical patients: results of prospective randomized study. Crit Care 2010; 14(3): R118.
, , , et al
. Early goal-directed therapy after major surgery reduces complications and duration of hospital stay. A randomised, controlled trial
. Crit Care 2005
41. , , , . Assessment of intrathoracic blood volume as an indicator of cardiac preload: single transpulmonary thermodilution technique vs. assessment of pressure preload parameters derived from a pulmonary artery catheter. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2001; 15: 584–8.
42. , , , , . Relation between respiratory variations in pulse oximetry plethysmographic waveform amplitude and arterial pulse pressure in ventilated patients. Crit Care 2005; 9: R562–8.
43. , , , et al. Noninvasive cardiac output monitoring (NICOM): a clinical validation. Intensive Care Med 2007; 33: 1191–4.
44. , , , . Comparison of bioimpedance vs. thermodilution cardiac output during cardiac surgery: evaluation of a second-generation bioimpedance device. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2001; 15: 567–73.
45. , , et al. Measurement of cardiac output with non-invasive Aesculon impedance versus thermodilution. Clin Physiol Funct Imaging 2011; 31(1): 39–47.
46. , , , . Does perioperative hemodynamic optimization protect renal function in surgical patients? A meta-analytic study. Crit Care Med 2009; 37: 2079–90.
47. , , , . Goal-directed haemodynamic therapy and gastrointestinal complications in major surgery: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Br J Anaesth 2009; 103: 637–46.