1. , , , et al. The plastic human brain cortex. Ann Rev Neurosci. 2005;28:377–401.
2. . Brain plasticity in health and disease. Keio J Med. 2004;53:231–46.
3. . The effect of early experience on problem solving at maturity. Am Psychol. 1947;2:737–45.
4. , , , et al. Chemical and anatomical plasticity of brain. Science. 1964:146:610–19.
5. , , , et al. Environmental enrichment and the brain. Prog Brain Res. 2002;138:109–33.
6. , , , et al. Recovery from brain injury in animals: Relative efficacy of environmental enrichment, physical exercise or formal training (1990–2002). Prog Neurobiol. 2004;72:167–82.
7. . Functional and cellular effects of environmental enrichment after experimental brain infarcts. Restor Neurol Neurosci. 2004;22:163–74.
8. , . Enriched environment and astrocytes in central nervous system regeneration. J Rehabil Med. 2007;39:345–52.
9. , . Enriched environment, experience-dependent plasticity and disorders of the nervous system. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2006;7:697–709.
10. . Brain plasticity and stroke rehabilitation. The Willis lecture. Stroke. 2000;31:223–30.
11. , . Environment influences functional outcome of cerebral infarction in rats. Stroke. 1995;26:644–9.
12. , , , et al. Environmental enrichment reverses learning impairment in the Morris water maze after focal cerebral ischemia in rats. Eur J Neurosci. 2004;19:2288–98.
13. , , , et al. Effect of differential experience on dendritic spine counts in rat cerebral cortex. J Comp Physiol Psychol. 1973;82:175–81.
14. , , . Effects of rearing complexity on dendritic branching in frontolateral and temporal cortex of the rat. Exp Neurol. 1973;41:371–8.
15. , . Neuronal plasticity and dendritic spines: Effect of environmental enrichment on intact and postischemic rat brain. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2002;22:89–96.
16. , , , et al. Strengthening of horizontal cortical connections following skill learning. Nat Neurosci. 1998;1:230–4.
17. , . Environmental enrichment alters organizational features of the forepaw representation in the primary somatocortex of adult rats. Exp Brain Res. 1998;121:191–204.
18. , . Sensorimotor experience modulates age-dependent alterations of the forepaw representation in the rat primary somatosensory cortex. Neuroscience. 2001;104:705–15.
19. , , , et al. Neural substrates for the effects of rehabilitative training on motor recovery after ischemic infarct. Science. 1996;272:1791–4.
20. , . Experience-dependent structural synaptic plasticity in the mammalian brain. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2009;10:647–58.
21. , , , et al. Extensive turnover of dendritic spines and vascular remodeling in cortical tissues recovering from stroke. J Neurosci. 2007;27:4101–09.
22. , , , et al. Neuronal circuit remodeling in the contralateral cortical hemisphere during functional recovery from cerebral infarction. J Neurosci. 2009;29;10 061–6.
23. , . Environment, social interaction, and physical activity as determinants of functional outcome after cerebral infarction in the rat. Exp Neurol. 2006;139:322–7.
24. , , , et al. Effects of postischemic environment on transcription factor and serotonin receptor expression after permanent focal cortical ischemia in the rat. Neuroscience. 2003;119:643–52.
25. , , . Decreased expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in BDNF(+/–) mice is associated with enhanced recovery of motor performance and increased neuroblast number following experimental stroke. J Neurosci Res. 2006;84:626–31.
26. , , , et al. BDNF val66met polymorphism is associated with modified experience-dependent plasticity in human motor cortex. Nat Neurosci. 2006;9:735–7.
27. , , , et al. Gene expression profiling in the intact and injured brain following environmental enrichment. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2004;63:598–609.
28. , , , et al. Gene expression profiling of the rat hippocampus one month after focal ischemia followed by enriched environment. Neurosci Lett. 2005;385:173–8.
29. , , , et al. Diurnal effects of enriched environment on immediately early gene expression in the rat brain. Brain Res. 2005;1046:127–44.
30. . Regeneration and plasticity in the brain and spinal cord. J Cerebr Blood Flow Metab. 2007;27:1417–30.
31. , , , et al. Effects of cortical ischemia and postischemic environmental enrichment on hippocampal cell genesis and differentiation in the adult rat. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2002;22:852–60.
32. , , , et al. Enriched environment increases neural stem/progenitor cell proliferation and neurogenesis in the subventricular zone of stroke-lesioned adult rats. Stroke. 2005;36:1278–82.
33. , , , et al. Enriched environmental after focal cortical ischemia enhances the generation of astroglia and NG2 positive polydendrocytes in adult rat neocortex. Exp Neurol. 2006;199:113–21.
34. . Polydendrocytes: NG2 cells with many roles in development and repair of the CNS. Neuroscientist. 2007;13:62–76.
35. , , , et al. Rehabilitative therapies differentially alter proliferation and survival of glial cell populations in the perilesional zone of cortical infarcts. Glia. 2008;56:516–27.
36. , , , et al. Postischemic exercise attenuates whereas enriched environment has certain enhancing effects on lesion-induced subventricular zone activation in the adult rat. Eur J Neurol. 2005;21:2397–405.
37. , , , et al. Postischemic exercise decreases neurogenesis in the adult rat dentate gyrus. Neurosci Lett. 2006;409:24–9.
38. . Enriched rehabilitative training promotes improved forelimb motor function and enhanced dendritic growth after focal ischemic injury. J Neurosci. 2001;21:5272–80.
39. , , , et al. Neural grafting to experimental neocortical infarcts improves behavioral outcome and reduces thalamic atrophy in rats housed in an enriched but not in standard environments. Stroke. 1997;28:1225–32.
40. , , . Expression of zinc-positive cells and terminals in fetal neocortical homografts to adult rat depends on lesion type and rearing conditions. Exp Neurol. 2000;164:176–83.
41. , . Optimizing plasticity: Environmental and training-associated brain repair. Rev Neurosci. 2005;16:1–21.
42. , , , et al. Enriched environment and spatial learning enhance hippocampal neurogenesis and salvages ischemic penumbra after focal cerebral ischemia. Neurobiol Dis. 2006;22:187–98.
43. , , , et al. Recovery of learning and memory is associated with chromatin remodeling. Nature. 2007;447:178–82.
44. , , , et al. Plasticity of the adult brain: Lesions from the visual system. Exp Brain Res. 2009;192:335–41.
45. , , , et al. Environmental enrichment in adulthood promotes amblyopia recovery through a reduction of intracortical inhibition. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:679–81.
46. , , , et al. Improving hand function in chronic stroke. Arch Neurol. 2002;59:1278–82.
47. , , , et al. The reciprocal risk of stroke and cognitive impairment in an elderly population. Alzheim Dementia 2006;2:171–8.
48. , , , et al. Social isolation and outcomes post stroke. Neurology. 2005;64:1888–92.
49. , , , et al. Long-term exposure to environmental enrichment since youth prevents recognition memory decline and increases synaptic plasticity markers in aging. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2008;90:511–8.
50. . Themes and strategies for studying the biology of stroke recovery in the poststroke epoch. Stroke. 2008;39:1380–5.
51. , , , et al. Cognitively impaired stroke patients do benefit from admission to an acute rehabilitation unit. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008;89:441–8.
52. , , , et al. The impact of mild stroke on meaningful activity and life satisfaction. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2006;14:151–7.