1. , , , et al. Lifetime prevalence and age-of-onset distributions of DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication.Arch Gen Psychiatry 2005; 62:593–602.
2. , , , et al. Demographic and clinical correlates of comorbid drug use disorders in psychosis: multivariate analyses from an epidemiological sample.Schizophr Res 2004;66:115–24.
3. , , , et al. Comorbidity of mental disorders with alcohol and other drug abuse. Results from the Epidemiologic Catchment Area (ECA) Study. JAMA 1990;264:2511–18.
4. , . Self-process in comorbid mental illness and drug abuse. Am J Orthopsychiatry 1998;68:639–44.
5. , , . Co-occurring severe mental illness and substance use disorders: a review of recent research.Psychiatric Serv 1999;50:1427–34.
6. , . Management of drug and alcohol withdrawal.N Engl J Med 2003;348:1786–95.
7. . Substance abuse and withdrawal in the intensive care unit. Surg Clin North Am 2000;80:1033–53.
8. , . Withdrawal syndromes. Emerg Med Clin North Am 2000;18:273–85.
9. . Drug therapy for alcohol dependence. N Engl J Med 1999;340:1482–90.
10. , , , et al. Comorbid affective disorders and personality traits in alcohol abuse inpatients at an Air Force Medical Center. Mil Med 1999;164:103–6.
11. , , , et al. Lorazepam for the prevention of recurrent seizures related to alcohol. N Engl J Med 1999;340:915–19.
12. . Emergency department treatment of alcohol withdrawal seizures with phenytoin. Ann Emerg Med 1991;20:520–2.
13. , D’Onofrio G, , et al. The lack of efficacy of phenytoin in the prevention of recurrent alcohol-related seizures.Ann Emerg Med 1994;23:513–18.
14. , , , et al. Intracranial lesions shown by CT scans in 259 cases of first alcohol related seizures. Neurology 1988;38:1561–5.
15. , , , et al. The histories of withdrawal convulsions and delirium tremens in1648 alcohol dependent subjects. Addiction 1995;90:1335–47.
16. , , , et al. Risk factors for delirium tremens development. J Gen Intern Med 1996;11:410–14.
17. , , , et al. Meta-analysis of benzodiazepine use in the treatment of acute alcohol withdrawal. CMAJ 1999;160:649–55.
18. , , . Emergency pharmacotherapy of delirium in the critically ill cancer patient. Psychosomatics 1986;13:56–60.
19. Pharmacological management of alcohol withdrawal: a meta-analysis and evidence-based practice guideline.JAMA 1997;278:144–51.
20. , , , et al. Benzodiazepines for alcohol withdrawal.Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010;3:CD005063. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD005063.pub3.
21. , , , et al. Management of alcohol withdrawal delirium. An evidenced-based practice guideline. Arch Intern Med 2004;164:1405–12.
22. , . Treatment of the alcohol withdrawal syndrome: comparison of promazine and paraldehyde. JAMA 1964;188:244–6.
23. , . Double-blind study of three drugs in the treatment of acute alcoholic states. Q J Stud Alcohol 1965;26:10–18.
24. , . Comparative clinical evaluation of chlordiazepoxide and promazine in treatment of alcohol-withdrawal syndrome. BMJ 1965;1:92–7.
25. , , , et al. Management of Alcohol Withdrawal Delirium. An evidenced-based practice guideline. Arch Intern Med 2004;164:1405–12.
26. , , , et al. Symptom-triggered vs. fixed-schedule doses of benzodiazepine for alcohol withdrawal: a randomized treatment trial. Arch Intern Med 2002;162:117–21.
27. , , , . Inappropriate use of symptom-triggered therapy for alcohol withdrawal in the general hospital. Mayo Clin Proc 2008;83:274–9.
28. , , , et al. Individualized treatment for alcohol withdrawal: a randomized double-blind controlled trial. JAMA 1994;272:519–23.
29. , , . Resistant alcohol withdrawal: does an unexpectedly large sedative requirement identify these patients early?J Med Toxicol 2006;2:55–60.
30. , . Refractory delirium tremens treated with propofol: a case series. Crit Care Med 2000;28:1781–4.
31. , . Unprecedented sedative requirement during delirium tremens. Crit Care Med 1985;13:246–7.
32. , , , et al. Management of delirium tremens. J Intensive Care Med 2005;20:164–73.
33. , . A fatal case of benzodiazepine withdrawal. Am J Forensic Med Pathol 2009;30:177–9.
34. . Effectiveness and safety of benzodiazepines, benzodiazepine dependence and withdrawal: myths and management. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1999;19:115–25.
35. , , , et al. Strategies for discontinuing long-term benzodiazepine use: meta-analysis.Br J Psychiatry 2006;189:213–20.
36. , , . Baclofen and gamma-hydroxybutyrate withdrawal. Neurocritical Care 2008;8:430–3.
37. , , . Withdrawal from gamma-hydroxybutyrate, 1,4-butanediol and gamma-butyrolactone: a case report and systematic review. Can J Emerg Med Care 2008;10:69–74.
38. , , . Seven days of gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB) use produces severe withdrawal.Ann Emerg Med 2006;48:219–20.
39. . Gamma-Butyrolactone and 1,4-butanediol: abused analogues of gamma-hydroxybutyrate. Toxicol Rev 2004;23:21–31.
40. Drug-Related Emergency Department Visits. DAWN Series D-28, DHHS Publication No. (SMA) 06–4143, Rockville, MD; 2006.