1. , . Behavioral concepts in the analysis of chronic pain syndromes. J Consult Clin Psychol 1986; 54: 776–83.
2. , , , . Comparison of cognitive behavioral and behavioral approaches to the outpatient treatment of chronic pain. Clin J Pain 1986; 1: 195–203.
3. , . Comparison of operant behavioral and cognitive behavioral group treatment for chronic low back pain. J Consult Clin Psychol 1988; 56: 261–6.
4. , , , et al. Decreased clinic use by chronic Pain 1991; 7: 305–10.
5. , , . Short- and long-term efficacy of brief cognitive-behavioral therapy for patients with chronic temporomandibular disorder pain: A randomized, controlled trial. Pain 2006; 121: 181–94.
6. . RCTs of psychological treatments for chronic pain: Progress and challenges. Pain 2006; 121: 171–2.
7. , , . Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials of cognitive behaviour therapy and behaviour therapy for chronic pain in adults, excluding headache. Pain 1999; 80: 1–13.
8. , , , . Meta-analysis of psychological interventions for chronic low back pain. Health Psychol 2007; 26, 1–9.
9. . Pain management in primary care: An individualized stepped care approach. In Psychosocial Factors in Pain: Critical perspectives, eds. RJ and . (New York: Guilford Press, 1999), pp. 360–73.
10. , . Stepped care as a heuristic approach to the treatment of alcohol problems. J Consult Clin Psychol 2000; 68: 573–9.
11. , , , et al. Integrating individual and public health perspectives for treatment of tobacco dependence under managed health care: A combined stepped-care and matching model. Ann Behav Med 1996; 18: 290–304.
12. , , , et al. A randomized trial to assess effectiveness and cost in clinical practice: Rationale and design of the cholesterol reduction intervention study. Control Clin Trials 1995; 16: 3–16.
13. , . Motivational Interviewing: Preparing people to change addictive behavior. 2nd edn. (New York: Guilford Press, 2002).
14. , , et al. A randomized trial of a lay person led self-management group intervention for back pain patients in primary care. Spine 1998; 23: 2608–15.
15. , , , , . A randomized trial of a cognitive-behavioral program for enhancing back pain self care in a primary care setting. Pain 2000; 88: 145–53.
16. , , , . The assessment and management of chronic pain in children. Pediatr Drugs 2002; 4: 737–46.
17. , . Psychological aspects of traumatic injury in children and adolescents. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 2003; 12: 493–535.
18. , . The severity of chronic pediatric pain: An epidemiological study. J Pain 2008; 9: 226–36.
19. , , . Adult outcomes of pediatric recurrent abdominal pain: Do they just grow out of it? Pediatrics 2001; 108: E1–7.
20. , . A practical cognitive behavioral approach for treating children’s pain. In Psychological Approaches to Pain Management: A practitioner’s handbook, 2nd edn, eds. and . (New York: Guilford Press, 2002), pp. 534–52.
21. , . Pain mechanisms: A new theory. Science 1965; 50: 971–9.
22. , . Burn injuries. In Handbook of Pediatric and Adolescent Health Psychology, eds. and . (Needham, MA: Allyn Bacon, 1999), pp. 115–26.
23. , , , et al. Effects of parent presence on children’s reactions to injections: Behavioral, physiological, and subjective aspects. J Pediatr Psychol 1989; 14: 449–62.
24. , , , . Differences between high and low coping children and between parent and staff behaviors during painful medical procedures. J Pediatr Psychol 1991; 16: 795–809.
25. , , , et al. A conceptual model and practice framework for managing chronic pain in children and adolescents. Harv Rev Psychiatry 2008; 16: 136–50.
26. , , . Impacts of illness and disability on the well-being of older people. Disabil Rehabil 2000; 22: 15–22.
27. , , , et al. Widespread musculoskeletal pain and the progression of disability in older disabled women. Ann Intern Med, 2001; 135: 1038–46.
28. , , , . Impact of pain on disability among older Mexican Americans. J Gerontol Med Sci 2001; 56: M400–M404.
29. , . Pain factors associated with physical disability in a sample of community dwelling senior citizens. J Gerontol Med Sci 2000; 55: 393–9.
30. , , , . Differences in pain-related characteristics among younger and older veterans receiving primary care. Pain Med 2002; 3: 102–7.
31. , . The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy 13th edn. (Rahway, NJ: Merck Sharp Dohme Research Laboratories, 1995).
32. , . Assessment of pain in the elderly. In Handbook of Pain Assessment, eds. and . (New York: Guilford Press, 1992), pp. 315–31.
33. , . Adaptation. In Encyclopedia of Gerontology, Vol. 1, ed. . (San Diego: Academic Press, 1996), pp. 65–9.
34. , . Social network, host resistance, and mortality: A nine-year follow-up study of Alameda County residents. Am J Epidemiol 1979; 109, 186–204.
35. . Social supports and physical health: Symptoms, health behaviors, and infectious disease. In Life-span Developmental Psychology, eds. , , . (Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 1991), pp. 213–34.
36. . Cognitive-behavioral pain management for elderly nursing home residents. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 1998; 53: P51–9.
37. , , , . Cognitive-behavioral therapy for chronic low back pain in older persons: A preliminary study. Pain Med 2003; 4: 223–30.
38. , , , , . Is major depression comorbid with temporomandibular pain and dysfunction syndrome? A pilot study. Clin J Pain 1991; 7: 219–25.
39. , , , . Negative affect and the experience of chronic pain. J Psychosom Res 1992; 36: 707–13.
40. , . Explaining high rates of depression in chronic pain: A diathesis-stress framework. Psychol Bull 1996; 119: 95–110.
41. , , , . Major depression and insomnia in chronic pain. Clin J Pain 2002; 18: 77–83.
42. , , , et al. Depression predicts disability in long-term chronic pain patients. Disabil Rehabil 2002; 24: 334–40.
43. , . The role of emotion in pain. In Psychosocial Factors in Pain: Critical perspectice, eds. and . (New York: Guildford Press, 1999).
44. . Depression and pain: A neurobiological model. Neuropsychiat Neuropsychol Behav Neurol 1991; 41: 83–92.
45. , , . Mood and anxiety disorders associated with chronic pain: an examination in a nationally representative sample. Pain 2003; 106: 127–33.
46. , . Anxiety sensitivity in patients with physically unexplained chronic back pain: A preliminary report. Behav Res Ther 1995; 33: 771–7.
47. , , , , . Assessing the perceived predictability of anxiety-related events: A report on the Perceived Predictability Index. J Behav Ther Exp Psychiatry 2000; 31: 201–18.
48. , , , , . Post-traumatic stress disorder and work-related injury. J Anxiety Disord 1998; 12: 57–69.
49. , . Perception of traumatic onset, compensation status, and physical findings: Impact on pain severity, emotional distress, and disability in chronic pain patients. J Behav Med 1996; 19: 435–53.
50. , , . Prevalence and impact of posttraumatic stress disorder-like symptoms on patients with fibromyalgia syndrome. Clin J Pain 2000; 16: 127–34.
51. , , , . The development of an integrated treatment for veterans with comorbid chronic pain and post-traumatic stress disorder. Pain Med 2009; 10: 1300–11.
52. , . Chronic pain management in patients with substance use disorders. Adv Stud Med 2006; 6: 111–23.
53. , , , . Major psychological disorders in acute and chronic TMD: An initial examination. J AmDent Assoc 1996; 127: 1365–74.
54. , , . Psychosocial factors and the rehabilitation of patients with chronic work-related upper extremity disorders. J Occup Rehabil 1997; 7: 139–53.
55. , , , et al. Temperament and character personality profiles and personality in chronic pain patients. Pain 2007; 197–209.
56. , . Personality, individual differences and psychopathology in chronic pain. In Psychosocial Factors in Pain: Critical perspectives, eds. RJ and . (New York: Guilford Press, 1999), pp. 56–73.
57. , Hutt E, , , Snow AL. Cognitive impairment and pain management: Review of issues and challenges. J Rehabil Res Rev 2007; 44: 315–30.
58. , , , et al. Validity of pain behaviors in persons with mild to moderate cognitive impairment. J AmGeriat Soc 2008; 56: 1631–7.