1. , , and Substance use disorders in schizophrenia: Review, integration, and a proposed model. Clinical Psychology Review 2000;20:207–34.
2. , and Substance abuse in schizophrenia: A review of the literature and a study of correlates in Sweden. Schizophrenia Research 2001;48:69–82.
3. Dual diagnosis of substance abuse in schizophrenia: Prevalence and impact on outcomes. Schizophrenia Research 1999;35:S93–S100.
4. , , and Substance-abusing schizophrenics: Do they self-medicate?The American Journal on Addictions 2004;13:139–50.
5. , , , and Substance misuse in patients with schizophrenia: Epidemiology and management. Drugs 2002;62:743–55.
6. , , , , and . Lifetime co-occurrence of DSM-III-R alcohol abuse and dependence with other psychiatric disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey. Archives of General Psychiatry 1997;54:313–21.
7. . Use of drugs, alcohol and tobacco by people with schizophrenia: Case-control study. British Journal of Psychiatry 2002;181:321–5.
8. , and Dual diagnosis: A review of etiological theories. Addictive Behaviors 1998;23:717–34.
9. , , , et al. Comorbidity of mental disorders with alcohol and other drug abuse. Results from the Epidemiologic Catchment Area (ECA) Study. Journal of the American Medical Association 1990;264:2511–8.
10. and . Social functioning, psychopathology, and medication side effects in relation to substance use and abuse in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research 2001;48:109–23.
11. , , , , and . Predicting the “revolving door” phenomenon among patient with schizophrenic, schizoaffective, and affective disorders. American Journal of Psychiatry 1995;151:856–61.
12. , , , , and Violence and severe mental illness: The effects of substance abuse and nonadherence to medication. American Journal of Psychiatry 1998;155:226–31.
13. , , and Substance use: A powerful predictor of relapse in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research 1996;20:145–51.
14. , , , et al. Violence and severe mental disorder in clinical and community populations: The effects of psychotic symptoms, comorbidity, and lack of treatment. Psychiatry 1997;60:1–22.
15. , , , et al. Recent victimization in women and men with severe mental illness: Prevalence and correlates. Journal of Traumatic Stress 2001;14:615–32.
16. , , , et al. Prevalence of HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C in people with severe mental illness. American Journal of Public Health 2001;91:31–7.
17. and Co-occurring disorders among mentally ill jail detainees: Implications for public policy. The American Psychologist 1991;46:1036–44.
18. , and . Detection of illicit substance use in persons with schizophrenia. Psychiatric Services 2003;54:891–5.
19. , , , et al. The National Institute of Mental Health Clinical Antipsychotic Trials of Intervention Effectiveness (CATIE) project: Schizophrenia trial design and protocol development. Schizophrenia Bulletin 2003;29:15–31.
20. , , , et al. Substance use in persons with schizophrenia: Baseline prevalence and correlates from the NIMH CATIE study. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 2006;194:164–72.
21. , , , et al. Substance use and psychosocial functioning in schizophrenia among new enrollees in the NIMH CATIE study. Psychiatric Services 2006;57:1110–6.
22. , , , et al. The effectiveness of antipsychotic medications in patients who use or avoid illicit substances: Results from the CATIE study. Schizophrenia Research 2008;100:39–52.
23. , , , et al. Structured Clinical Interview for Axes I and II DSM-IV Disorders-Patient Edition (SCID-I/P). New York: Biometrics Research Department, New York State Psychiatric Institute; 1996.
24. , , , , and . Diagnosis of alcohol use disorders in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin 1990;16:57–67.
25. , and . A depression rating scale for schizophrenics. Schizophrenia Research 1990;3:247–51.
26. , and . The positive and negative syndrome scale (PANSS) for schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin 1987;13:261–76.
27. , and The Quality of Life Scale: An instrument for rating the schizophrenic deficit syndrome. Schizophrenia Bulletin 1984;10:388–98.
28. , Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Office of Applied Studies. National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Washington, DC: HHS; 2006.
29. , , , et al. Effectiveness of antipsychotic drugs in patients with chronic schizophrenia. New England Journal of Medicine 2005;353:1209–23.