1. , , , et al. The relationship of symptoms and level of functioning in schizophrenia to general wellbeing and the Quality of Life Scale. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 2000;102:303–9.
2. . Social outcomes in schizophrenia. British Journal of Psychiatry 2007;191:s15–s20.
3. , , , et al. Measuring outcome priorities and incorporating preferences in mental health status assessment of people with schizophrenia. British Journal of Psychiatry 2005;187:529–36.
4. and . Current issues in schizophrenia: Overview of patient acceptability, functioning and quality of life. CNS Drugs 2004;18(Suppl):5–17.
5. and . Subjective well-being and quality of life under antipsychotic treatment. Psychopharmacology 2002;162:3–10.
6. and . Impact of atypical antipsychotics on quality of life in patients with schizophrenia. CNS Drugs 2004;18:877–93.
7. , , The Quality of Life Scale: An instrument for rating the schizophrenic deficit syndrome. Schizophrenia Bulletin 1984;10:388–98.
8. , , and . Effects of six months of clozapine treatment on quality of life of chronic schizophrenic patients. Hospital & Community Psychiatry 1990;41:892–7.
9. , , , et al. Clozapine's effectiveness for patients in state hospitals: Results from a randomized trial. Psychopharmacology Bulletin 1996;32:683–97.
10. , , , et al. A comparison of clozapine and haloperidol in hospitalized patients with refractory schizophrenia: Department of Veterans Affairs cooperative study group on clozapine in refractory schizophrenia. New England Journal of Medicine 1997;337:809–15.
11. , , , et al. Double-blind comparison of olanzapine vs. risperidone in the treatment of schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology 1997;17:407–18.
12. , , , et al. Olanzapine vs. placebo and haloperidol: Quality of life and efficacy results of the North American double-blind trial. Neuropsychopharmacology 1998;18:41–9.
13. , , , et al. Randomized controlled trial of the effect on quality of life of second- vs first-generation antipsychotic drugs in schizophrenia: Cost utility of the latest antipsychotic drugs in schizophrenia study (CUtLASS 1)Archives of General Psychiatry 2006;63:1079–87.
14. , , , et al. Effects of antipsychotic medications on psychosocial functioning in patients with chronic schizophrenia: Findings from the NIMH CATIE Study. American Journal of Psychiatry 2007;164:428–36.
15. , , , et al. The National Institute of Mental Health Clinical Antipsychotic Trials of Intervention Effectiveness (CATIE) project: Schizophrenia trial design and protocol development. Schizophrenia Bulletin 2003;29:15–31.
16. , , , et al. Assessing clinical and functional outcomes in the Clinical Antipsychotic Trials of Intervention Effectiveness (CATIE) Schizophrenia Trial. Schizophrenia Bulletin 2003;29:33–43.
17. , , , et al. Statistical approaches to effectiveness measurement and outcome-driven re-randomizations in the Clinical Antipsychotic Trials of Intervention Effectiveness (CATIE) studies. Schizophrenia Bulletin 2003;29:73–80.
18. , , , et al. Neurocognitive assessment in the Clinical Antipsychotic Trials of Intervention Effectiveness (CATIE) project schizophrenia trial: Development, methodology, and rationale. Schizophrenia Bulletin 2003;29:45–55.
19. , , , et al. Effectiveness of antipsychotic drugs in patients with chronic schizophrenia. New England Journal of Medicine 2005;353:1209–23.
20. , , , et al. Effectiveness of olanzapine, quetiapine, risperidone, and ziprasidone in patients with chronic schizophrenia after discontinuation of a previous atypical antipsychotic. American Journal of Psychiatry 2006;163:611–22.
21. , , , et al. Effectiveness of clozapine, quetiapine and risperidone in patients with chronic schizophrenia who failed prior atypical antipsychotic treatment. American Journal of Psychiatry 2006;153:600–10.
22. , , , et al. Substance use in persons with schizophrenia: Baseline prevalence and correlates from the NIMH CATIE study. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 2006;194:164–72.
23. , , , et al. Substance use and psychosocial functioning in schizophrenia among new enrollees in the NIMH CATIE Study. Psychiatric Services 2006;57:1110–6.
24. , , , et al. Baseline neurocognitive deficits in the CATIE Schizophrenia Trial. Neuropsychopharmacology 2006;4:1–14.
25. , , , et al. Neurocognitive effects of antipsychotic medications in patients with chronic schizophrenia. Archives of General Psychiatry 2007;64:633–47.
26. , , , et al. Cost-effectiveness of first and second generation antipsychotics in the treatment of chronic schizophrenia. American Journal of Psychiatry 2006;163:2080–9.
27. , , , et al. Interrater reliability issues in multicenter trials. Part I: Theoretical concepts and operational procedures in VA Cooperative Study #394. Psychopharmacology Bulletin 1997;33:53–57.
28. , and . The positive and negative syndrome scale (PANSS) for schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin 1987;13:261–76.
29. . ECDEU Assessment Manual for Psychopharmacology – Revised (DHEW Publ No. ADM 76–338). Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. Public Health Service, Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration, NIMH Psychopharmacology Research Branch, Division of Extramural Research Programs; 1976. pp 218–22.
30. , , , et al. Diagnosis of alcohol use disorders in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin 1990;16:57–67.
31. , , , et al. Reliability and validity of a depression rating scale for schizophrenics. Schizophrenia Research 1992;6:201–8.
32. , and A self-report scale predictive of drug compliance in schizophrenics: Reliability and discriminative validity. Psychological Medicine 1983;13:177–83.
33. , and . A 12-item short-form health survey: Construction of scales and preliminary tests of reliability and validity. Medical Care 1996;34:220–33.
34. . A sharper Bonferroni procedure for multiple tests of significance. Biometrika 1988;75:800–802.
35. , , , et al. Employment outcomes in a randomized trial of second-generation antipsychotics and perphenazine in the treatment of individuals with schizophrenia. The Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research 2008;35:215–25.
36. , and . Newer atypical antipsychotic medication in comparison to clozapine: A systematic review of randomised trials. Schizophrenia Research 2002;56:1–10.
37. , and . Clozapine versus typical neuroleptic medication for schizophrenia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2000;2:CD000059.
38. , , , et al. Randomized controlled trial of the effect on quality of life of second- vs. first-generation antipsychotic drugs in schizophrenia: Cost utility of the latest antipsychotic drugs in schizophrenia study (CUtLASS 1). Archives of General Psychiatry 2006;63:1079–87.
39. , , , et al. Quality of life in schizophrenia: A review of the literature from 1995 to 2000. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing 2002;11:103–11.
40. , , , et al. Prognostic variables at intake and long-term level of function in schizophrenia. American Journal of Psychiatry 2006;163:433–41.
41. . Gender differences in schizophrenia. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2003;28(Suppl 2):17–54.
42. . Understanding the glass ceiling for functional outcome in schizophreniaAm J Psychiatry 2006;163:356–358.
43. . Targeting schizophrenia research to patient outcomes. American Journal of Psychiatry 2006;163:353–5.
44. , , , et al. The schizophrenia patient outcomes research team (PORT): Updated treatment recommendations 2003. Schizophrenia Bulletin 2004;30:193–217.
45. , , , et al. American Psychiatric Association. Steering Committee on Practice Guidelines. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with schizophrenia, second edition. American Journal of Psychiatry 2004;161(Suppl):1–56.