1. , , Role of the intrarenal reninangiotensin system in the control of renal function. Circ Res 1981; 48: 157–67.
2. . Am J Kidney Dis 2002; 39 (2 Suppl 1): S1–266.
3. , , , et al. National Kidney Foundation practice guidelines for chronic kidney disease: evaluation, classification, and stratification. Ann Intern Med 2003; 139: 137–47.
4. , , , Assessing kidney function –measured and estimated glomerular filtration rate. N Engl J Med 2006; 354: 2473–83.
5. , , , , Acute renal failure – definition, outcome measures, animal models, fluid therapy and information technology needs: the Second International Consensus Conference of the Acute Dialysis Quality Initiative (ADQI) Group. Crit Care; 8: R204–12.
6. , , , , Ronco C. An assessment of the RIFLE criteria for acute renal failure in hospitalized patients. Crit Care Med 2006; 34: 1913–17.
7. , , , et al. Acute Kidney Injury Network: report of an initiative to improve outcomes in acute kidney injury. Crit Care 2007; 11: R31.
8. , , A comparison of the RIFLE and AKIN criteria for acute kidney injury in critically ill patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2008; 23: 1569–74.
9. , , Acute renal failure. Lancet 2005; 365: 417–30.
10. , , , Acute renal failure: definitions, diagnosis, pathogenesis, and therapy. J Clin Invest 2004; 114: 5–14.
11. Preoperative care of patients with kidney disease. Am Fam Physician 2002; 66: 1471–6, 1379.
12. , Acute renal failure in the surgical setting. ANZ J Surg 2003; 73: 144–53.
13. . USRDS 2007 Annual Data Report: Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States. Bethesda, MD: NIH, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, 2007.
14. , , , et al. Renal function and outcome from coronary artery bypass grafting: impact on mortality after a 2.3-year follow-up. Circulation 2006; 113: 1056–62.
15. , , , Has mortality from acute renal failure decreased? A systematic review of the literature. Am J Med 2005; 118: 827–32.
16. , , , , Acute kidney injury, mortality, length of stay, and costs in hospitalized patients. J Am Soc Nephrol 2005; 16: 3365–70.
17. , Course of acute renal failure studied by a model of creatinine kinetics. Kidney Int 1985; 27: 928–37.
18. , , Discovery of protein biomarkers for renal diseases. J Am Soc Nephrol 2004; 15: 1677–89.
19. , Protecting the kidney during critical illness. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 2007; 20: 106–12.
20. , Renal blood flow regulation, autoregulation, and vasomotor nephropathy. Anesthesiol Clin North America 2000; 18: 791–807.
21. , , , Vasoactive peptides and the kidney. In: , , eds., The Kidney, 4th edn. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders, 1991: 510–83.
22. , , Interrelationship between prostaglandins and renin release. Kidney Int 1981; 19: 816–21.
23. , Renal effects of prostaglandins and clinical adverse effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents. Medicine 1984; 63: 165–81.
24. , , , , Natriuretic peptides: an update on bioactivity, potential therapeutic use, and implication in cardiovascular diseases. Am J Hypertens 2008; 21: 733–41.
25. , , , Intrarenal dopamine coordinates the effect of antinatriuretic and natriuretic factors. Acta Physiol Scand 2000; 168: 215–18.
26. , Elements of renal function. In: , , eds., Physiology, 3rd edn. St Louis, MO: Mosby Year-Book, 1993: 719–53.
27. Effects of the adrenergic nervous system and catecholamines on systemic and renal hemodynamics, sodium and water excretion and renin secretion. Kidney Int 1974; 6: 291–306.
28. , Glomerular ultrafiltration. In: , , eds., The Kidney, 4th edn. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders, 1992: 215–31.
29. , , Renal microvascular effects of vasopressin and vasopressin antagonist. Am J Physiol 1989; 256: F526–34.
30. , Changes in renal blood flow, extraction of inulin, glomerular filtration rate, tissue pressure and urine flow with acute alterations of renal artery pressure. Am J Physiol 1951; 167: 676–88.
31. , , , et al. Norepinephrine has no deleterious renal effects in human septic shock. Crit Care Med 1989; 17: 426–9.
32. , , , Effect of hemorrhagic reduction in blood pressure on recovery from acute renal failure. Kidney Int 1987; 31: 725–30.
33. , , , et al. Increasing organ blood flow during cardiopulmonary bypass in pigs: comparison of dopamine and perfusion pressure. Crit Care Med 1995; 23: 1090–8.
34. , Hypoxia of the renal medulla: its implications for disease. N Engl J Med 1995; 332: 647–55.
35. Pharmacological classification and renal actions of diuretics. Cardiology 1994; 84: 4–13.
36. , , Effects of hyperosmotic mannitol infusion on hemodynamics of dog kidney. Anesth Analg 1996; 82: 902–8.
37. , , , Prostaglandins mediate the vasodilatory effect of mannitol in the hypoperfused rat kidney. J Clin Invest 1981; 68: 127–33.
38. Effect of mannitol on glomerular ultrafiltration in the hydropenic rat. J Clin Invest 1974; 54: 1135–43.
39. Osmotic diuresis. Renal Physiol 1987; 10: 160–73.
40. , , , Protection of mitochondrial function by mannitol in ischemic acute renal failure. Am J Physiol 1984; 247: F365–9.
41. , , The influence of mannitol on myoglobinuric acute renal failure: functional, biochemical, and morphological assessments. J Am Soc Nephrol 1991; 2: 848–55.
42. The pathophysiology of ischemic acute renal failure: a new hypothesis about the initiation phase. Ren Physiol 1986; 9: 129–47.
43. , Renal tubular chloride transport and the mode of action of some diuretics. Annu Rev Physiol 1976; 38: 37–45.
44. , Adaptation of distal tubule and collecting duct to increased sodium delivery. I. Ultrastructure. Am J Physiol 1985; 248: F374–81.
45. , Diuretic combinations in refractory oedema states: pharmacokinetic–pharmacodynamic relationships. Clin Pharmacokinet 1996; 30: 229–49.
46. , , , et al. Evidence for an amiloride-insensitive Na/H exchanger in rat renal cortical tubules. Am J Physiol 1997; 273: C1064–74.
47. , , , , The dopaminergic system in hypertension. Clin Sci (Lond) 2007; 112: 583–97.
48. , , , et al. Colloids versus crystalloids for fluid resuscitation in critically ill patients.Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004 (4): CD000567.
49. , , , et al. A randomized, double-blind comparison of lactated Ringer's solution and 0.9% NaCl during renal transplantation. Anesth Analg 2005; 100: 1518–24.
50. , , , et al. Supranormal trauma resuscitation causes more cases of abdominal compartment syndrome. Arch Surg 2003; 138: 637–42; discussion 42–3.
51. , , , et al. Effects of hydroxyethylstarch and gelatin on renal function in severe sepsis: a multicentre randomised study. Lancet 2001; 357: 911–16.
52. , , , et al. Effects of hydroxyethyl starch administration on renal function in critically ill patients. Br J Anaesth 2007; 98: 216–24.
53. , , , et al. Continuous measurements of renal perfusion in pigs by means of intravascular Doppler. Kidney Int 2001; 59: 1439–47.
54. , , , et al. Increasing mean arterial pressure in patients with septic shock: effects on oxygen variables and renal function. Crit Care Med 2005; 33: 780–6.
55. , , , et al. Renal arterial resistance in septic shock: effects of increasing mean arterial pressure with norepinephrine on the renal resistive index assessed with Doppler ultrasonography. Intensive Care Med 2007; 33: 1557–62.
56. , , , Renal function in patients during and after hypotensive anesthesia with sevoflurane. J Clin Anesth 1998; 10: 539–45.
57. , , , , Hypotensive epidural anaesthesia in patients with preoperative renal dysfunction undergoing total hip replacement. Br J Anaesth 2006; 96: 207–12.
58. , The physiologic effects of pneumoperitoneum in the morbidly obese. Ann Surg 2005; 241: 219–26.
59. , , , , Effects of abdominal Co2 insufflation on renal and hepatic blood flows during acute hemorrhage in anesthetized pigs. Crit Care Med 2001; 29: 1017–22.
60. , , , Kidney graft loss after laparoscopic live donor nephrectomy. Transplant Proc 2000; 32: 683.
61. , , , Laparoscopic live donor nephrectomy: a risk factor for delayed function and rejection in pediatric kidney recipients? A UNOS analysis. Am J Transplant 2005; 5: 175–82.
62. , , , et al. Laparoscopic live donor nephrectomy has equivalent early and late renal function outcomes compared with open donor nephrectomy. Urology 2005; 65: 862–6.
63. Does lipid-lowering therapy slow progression of chronic kidney disease? Am J Kidney Dis 2004; 44: 917–20.
64. , , , et al. Effects of intensive glucose lowering in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008; 358: 2545–59.
65. , , , et al. Intensive blood glucose control and vascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008; 358: 2560–72.
66. , , , et al. Seventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. Hypertension 2003; 42: 1206–52.
67. , , , et al. Renal outcomes with telmisartan, ramipril, or both, in people at high vascular risk (the ONTARGET study): a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, controlled trial. Lancet 2008; 372: 547–53.
68. Direct renin inhibition: focus on aliskiren. J Manag Care Pharm 2007; 13: 21–33.
69. , , , et al. Preoperative characteristics predicting intraoperative hypotension and hypertension among hypertensives and diabetics undergoing noncardiac surgery. Ann Surg 1990; 212: 66–81.
70. , , , et al. Angiotensin system inhibitors in a general surgical population. Anesth Analg 2005; 100: 636–44.
71. , , , Diuretics, mortality, and nonrecovery of renal function in acute renal failure. JAMA 2002; 288: 2547–53.
72. , , , et al. Diuretics and mortality in acute renal failure. Crit Care Med 2004; 32: 1669–77.
73. , Effect of furosemide infusion on renal hemodynamics and angiogenesis gene expression in acute renal ischemia/reperfusion. Ren Fail 2006; 28: 25–35.
74. , , , , High-dose furosemide for established ARF: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial. Am J Kidney Dis 2004; 44: 402–9.
75. , , , , Loop diuretics in the management of acute renal failure: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Crit Care Resusc 2007; 9: 60–8.
76. , Renal-dose dopamine: from hypothesis to paradigm to dogma to myth and, finally, superstition? J Intensive Care Med 2005; 20: 199–211.
77. , , , Meta-analysis: low-dose dopamine increases urine output but does not prevent renal dysfunction or death. Ann Intern Med 2005; 142: 510–24.
78. , , , et al. Beneficial impact of fenoldopam in critically ill patients with or at risk for acute renal failure: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. Am J Kidney Dis 2007; 49: 56–68.
79. , , , et al. Prophylactic fenoldopam for renal protection in sepsis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot trial. Crit Care Med 2005; 33: 2451–6.
80. , , Prophylaxis strategies for contrast-induced nephropathy. JAMA 2006; 295: 2765–79.
81. , , , et al. Comparison of usefulness of sodium bicarbonate versus sodium chloride to prevent contrast-induced nephropathy in patients undergoing an emergent coronary procedure. Am J Cardiol 2007; 100: 781–6.
82. , Strategies to reduce the risk of contrast nephropathy: an evidence-based approach. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 2006; 15: 285–90.
83. , , , et al. N-acetyl-L-cysteine improves renal medullary hypoperfusion in acute renal failure. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2001; 281: R730–7.
84. , , , et al. N-acetylcysteine attenuates kidney injury in rats subjected to renal ischaemia-reperfusion. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2006; 21: 1240–7.
85. , , , et al. Lack of protection of N-acetylcysteine (NAC) in acute renal failure related to elective aortic aneurysm repair: a randomized controlled trial. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2006; 21: 1863–9.
86. , , , et al. Perioperative N-acetylcysteine to prevent renal dysfunction in high-risk patients undergoing CABG surgery: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2005; 294: 342–50.
87. , , , , Recombinant human atrial natriuretic peptide in ischemic acute renal failure: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Crit Care Med 2004; 32: 1310–15.
88. , , , et al. Anaritide in acute tubular necrosis. Auriculin Anaritide Acute Renal Failure Study Group. N Engl J Med 1997; 336: 828–34.
89. , , , et al. Atrial natriuretic factor in oliguric acute renal failure. Anaritide Acute Renal Failure Study Group. Am J Kidney Dis 2000; 36: 767–74.
90. , , , et al. Effects of perioperative nesiritide in patients with left ventricular dysfunction undergoing cardiac surgery: the NAPA Trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007; 49: 716–26.
91. , , , Anti-inflammatory and antinecrotic effects of the volatile anesthetic sevoflurane in kidney proximal tubule cells. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2006; 291: F67–78.
92. , , , et al. Delayed administration of darbepoetin or erythropoietin protects against ischemic acute renal injury and failure. Kidney Int 2006; 69: 1806–13.
93. , , Use of EPO in critically ill patients with acute renal failure requiring renal replacement therapy. Am J Kidney Dis 2005; 46: 791–8.
94. , , Adenosine and kidney function. Physiol Rev 2006; 86: 901–40.
95. , , , et al. Mesenchymal stem cells are renotropic, helping to repair the kidney and improve function in acute renal failure. J Am Soc Nephrol 2004; 15: 1794–804.
96. , , , et al. Administered mesenchymal stem cells protect against ischemic acute renal failure through differentiation-independent mechanisms. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2005; 289: F31–42.