1. , , Cost minimisation and cost effectiveness in anaesthesia for total hip replacement surgery, in Belgium? A study comparing three general anaesthesia techniques. Acta Anaesthesiol Belg 2006; 57: 145–51.
2. , , , et al. Effect of total intravenous anaesthesia and balanced anaesthesia on the frequency of coughing during emergence from the anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth 2007; 99: 587–91.
3. , , , Accumulated oropharyngeal water increases coughing during dental treatment with intravenous sedation. J Oral Rehabil 2008; 35: 203–8.
4. , , , Airway responses during desflurane versus sevoflurane administration via a laryngeal mask airway in smokers. Anesth Analg 2006; 103: 1147–54.
5. , , , Maintenance of anaesthesia with sevoflurane or isoflurane effects on adverse airway events in smokers. Anaesthesia 2004; 59: 891–3.
6. , , , , Early recovery, cognitive function and costs of a desflurane inhalational vs. a total intravenous anaesthesia regimen in long-term surgery. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2006; 50: 14–18.
7. , , Comparison of propofol/remifentanil and sevoflurane/remifentanil for maintenance of anaesthesia for elective intracranial surgery. Br J Anaesth 2005; 94: 778–83.
8. , , , et al. A factorial trial of six interventions for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting. N Engl J Med 2004; 350: 2441–51.
9. , , Anesthesia matters: patients anesthetized with propofol have less postoperative pain than those anesthetized with isoflurane. Anesth Analg 2008; 106: 264–9.
10. , , , , Postoperative pain and analgesic requirements after anesthesia with sevoflurane, desflurane or propofol. Anesth Analg 2008; 107: 1715–19.
11. , , , et al. A prospective, randomized comparison of the effects of inhaled sevoflurane anesthesia and propofol/remifentanil intravenous anesthesia on salivary excretion during laryngeal microsurgery. Anesth Analg 2008; 106: 1723–7.
12. , , Mucosal host defence response to hysterectomy assessed by saliva analyses: a comparison of propofol and isoflurane anaesthesia. Anaesthesia 1998; 53: 1067–73.
13. , , , et al. Predictors of mortality in patients with suspected propofol infusion syndrome. Crit Care Med 2008; 36: 2281–7.
14. , , , , Lactic acidosis during propofol–remifentanil anesthesia in an adult. Anesthesiology 2004; 101: 241–3.
15. , , , et al. Incidence of intraoperative hypotension as a function of the chosen definition: literature definitions applied to a retrospective cohort using automated data collection. Anesthesiology 2007; 107: 213–20.
16. , The impact of lack of standardized definitions on the specialty. Anesthesiology 2007; 107: 198–9.
17. , , , , Does tight heart rate control improve beta-blocker efficacy? An updated analysis of the noncardiac surgical randomized trials. Anesth Analg 2008; 106: 1039–48.
18. , , , Comparison between dexmedetomidine and remifentanil for controlled hypotension during tympanoplasty. Eur J Anaesthesiol 2008; 25: 369–74.
19. , , , et al. The effect of intraoperative use of esmolol and nicardipine on recovery after ambulatory surgery. Anesth Analg 2003; 97: 1633–8.
20. , , , et al. Ephedrine, but not phenylephrine, increases bispectral index values during combined general and epidural anesthesia. Anesth Analg 2003; 97: 780–4.
21. , , , et al. Predictors of postoperative acute renal failure after noncardiac surgery in patients with previously normal renal function. Anesthesiology 2007; 107: 892–902.
22. , , , et al. Perioperative use of dobutamine in cardiac surgery and adverse cardiac outcome: propensity-adjusted analyses. Anesthesiology 2008; 108: 979–87.
23. , , , Significance of the injection timing of ephedrine to reduce the onset time of rocuronium. Anaesthesia 2008; 63: 856–60.
24. , , , et al. The effect of dexmedetomidine on perioperative hemodynamics in patients undergoing craniotomy. Anesth Analg 2008; 107: 1340–7.
25. , Is there value in obtaining a patient's willingness to pay for a particular anesthetic intervention? Anesthesiology 2006; 104: 906–9.
26. , , , et al. Volatile anaesthetics may be the main cause of early but not delayed postoperative vomiting: a randomized controlled trial of factorial design. Br J Anaesth 2002; 88: 659–68.
27. , P6 acupoint injections are as effective as droperidol in controlling early postoperative nausea and vomiting in children. Anesthesiology 2002; 97: 359–66.
28. , , , et al. Acupressure for postoperative nausea and vomiting in gynaecological patients receiving patient-controlled analgesia. Eur J Anaesthesiol 2007; 24: 87–91.
29. , , , , Effect of intraoperative intravenous crystalloid infusion on postoperative nausea and vomiting after gynaecological laparoscopy: comparison of 30 and 10 mL kg-1. Br J Anaesth 2004; 93: 381–5.
30. , , , , Effects of clonidine on postoperative nausea and vomiting in breast cancer surgery. Anesthesiology 2002; 96: 1109–14.
31. , , Dexamethasone for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting: a quantitative systematic review. Anesth Analg 2000; 90: 186–94.
32. , , , Risks and benefits of preoperative high dose methylprednisolone in surgical patients: a systematic review. Drug Saf 2000; 23: 449–61.
33. , Stimulation of the wrist acupuncture point P6 for preventing postoperative nausea and vomiting. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004; (2): CD003281.
34. , , , A randomized controlled comparison of electro-acupoint stimulation or ondansetron versus placebo for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anesth Analg 2004; 99: 1070–5.
35. , , , et al. Optimal timing of acustimulation for antiemetic prophylaxis as an adjunct to ondansetron in patients undergoing plastic surgery. Anesth Analg 2005; 100: 367–72.
36. , , , et al. Monitoring of neuromuscular blockade at the P6 acupuncture point reduces the incidence of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anesthesiology 2007; 107: 903–8.
37. , Con: The black box warning on droperidol should not be removed (but should be clarified!). Anesth Analg 2008; 106: 1418–20.
38. , , , et al. Does low-dose droperidol administration increase the risk of drug-induced QT prolongation and torsade de pointes in the general surgical population? Anesthesiology 2007; 107: 531–6.
39. , , , et al. Society for Ambulatory Anesthesia guidelines for the management of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anesth Analg 2007; 105: 1615–28.
40. , , , et al. Eliminating postoperative nausea and vomiting in outpatient surgery with multimodal strategies including low doses of nonsedating, off-patent antiemetics: is “zero tolerance” achievable? ScientificWorldJournal 2007; 7: 959–77.
41. , , , et al. Cardiac surgery fast-track treatment in a postanesthetic care unit: six-month results of the Leipzig fast-track concept. Anesthesiology 2008; 109: 61–6.
42. , Impact of hypothermia on the response to neuromuscular blocking drugs. Anesthesiology 2006; 104: 1070–80.
43. , , , , Propofol anesthesia and rational opioid selection: determination of optimal EC50-EC95 propofol-opioid concentrations that assure adequate anesthesia and a rapid return of consciousness. Anesthesiology 1997; 87: 1549–62.
44. , Contributions of PK/PD modeling to intravenous anesthesia. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2008; 84: 27–38.
45. , , , et al. Intravenous lidocaine infusion facilitates acute rehabilitation after laparoscopic colectomy. Anesthesiology 2007; 106: 11–18.
46. , , , et al. Avoidance of nitrous oxide for patients undergoing major surgery: a randomized controlled trial. Anesthesiology 2007; 107: 221–31.
47. , , , , The dose-response of nitrous oxide in postoperative nausea in patients undergoing gynecologic laparoscopic surgery: a preliminary study. Anesth Analg 2008; 107: 818–23.
48. , , Biologic effects of nitrous oxide: a mechanistic and toxicologic review. Anesthesiology 2008; 109: 707–22.
49. , , , et al. Perioperative maintenance of normothermia reduces the incidence of morbid cardiac events. A randomized clinical trial. JAMA 1997; 277: 1127–34.
50. , , Perioperative normothermia to reduce the incidence of surgical-wound infection and shorten hospitalization. Study of Wound Infection and Temperature Group. N Engl J Med 1996; 334: 1209–15.
51. , , , The effects of mild perioperative hypothermia on blood loss and transfusion requirement. Anesthesiology 2008; 108: 71–7.
52. , , , Hypothermia and acidosis synergistically impair coagulation in human whole blood. Anesth Analg 2008; 106: 1627–32.
53. Monitoring and thermal management. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 2003; 17: 569–81.
54. , , , , Bispectral index-guided general anesthesia in combination with thoracic epidural analgesia reduces recovery time in fast-track colon surgery. Anesth Analg 2007; 104: 1145–9.
55. Effects of Bispectral Index monitoring on ambulatory anesthesia: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials and a cost analysis. Anesthesiology 2004; 101: 311–15.
56. , , Bispectral index for improving anaesthetic delivery and postoperative recovery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007; 4: CD003843.
57. , , , Reduction in the incidence of awareness using BIS monitoring. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2004; 48: 20–6.
58. , , , et al. Anesthesia awareness and the bispectral index. N Engl J Med 2008; 358: 1097–108.
59.Practice advisory for intraoperative awareness and brain function monitoring: a report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on IntraOperative Awareness. Anesthesiology 2006; 104: 847–64.
60. , , , et al. Comparison between bispectral index and patient state index as measures of the electroencephalographic effects of sevoflurane. Anesthesiology 2008; 109: 799–805.
61. , , , et al. A comparison of state and response entropy versus bispectral index values during the perioperative period. Anesth Analg 2006; 102: 160–7.
62. , , , et al. The accuracy and precision of body temperature monitoring methods during regional and general anesthesia. Anesth Analg 2000; 90: 938–45.
63. Evidence-based practice and neuromuscular monitoring: it's time for routine quantitative assessment. Anesthesiology 2003; 98: 1037–9.
64. , Acceleromyography for use in scientific and clinical practice: a systematic review of the evidence. Anesthesiology 2008; 108: 1117–40.
65. , , , et al. Intraoperative acceleromyographic monitoring reduces the risk of residual neuromuscular blockade and adverse respiratory events in the postanesthesia care unit. Anesthesiology 2008; 109: 389–98.
66. , , , , Blood volume is normal after pre-operative overnight fasting. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2008; 52: 522–9.
67. , Compensatory fluid administration for preoperative dehydration: does it improve outcome? Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2002; 46: 1089–93.
68. , , , et al. Preoperative intravenous fluid therapy decreases postoperative nausea and pain in high risk patients. Anesth Analg 2005; 100: 675–82.
69. , , , , A rational approach to perioperative fluid management. Anesthesiology 2008; 109: 723–40.
70. Kidney dysfunction in the postoperative period. Br J Anaesth 2005; 95: 20–32.
71. , , , et al. Comparison of two fluid-management strategies in acute lung injury. N Engl J Med 2006; 354: 2564–75.
72. , , , et al. Effect of intraoperative fluid management on outcome after intraabdominal surgery. Anesthesiology 2005; 103: 25–32.
73. , , , et al. Liberal versus restrictive fluid administration to improve recovery after laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a randomized, double-blind study. Ann Surg 2004; 240: 892–9.
74. , , , et al. Liberal versus restrictive fluid management in knee arthroplasty: a randomized, double-blind study. Anesth Analg 2007; 105: 465–74.
75. , , , et al. A comparison of albumin and saline for fluid resuscitation in the intensive care unit. N Engl J Med 2004; 350: 2247–56.
76. , , , et al. Saline or albumin for fluid resuscitation in patients with traumatic brain injury. N Engl J Med 2007; 357: 874–84.
77. , , Delta down compared with delta pulse pressure as an indicator of volaemia during intracranial surgery. Br J Anaesth 2008; 100: 245–50.
78. , , , et al. Respiratory variations in pulse oximetry plethysmographic waveform amplitude to predict fluid responsiveness in the operating room. Anesthesiology 2007; 106: 1105–11.
79. , , , Randomized clinical trial assessing the effect of Doppler-optimized fluid management on outcome after elective colorectal resection. Br J Surg 2006; 93: 1069–76.
80. , Fluid responsiveness in mechanically ventilated patients: a review of indices used in intensive care. Intensive Care Med 2003; 29: 352–60.
81.Practice guidelines for perioperative blood transfusion and adjuvant therapies: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Perioperative Blood Transfusion and Adjuvant Therapies. Anesthesiology 2006; 105: 198–208.
82. , , , et al. Mechanical ventilation with lower tidal volumes and positive end-expiratory pressure prevents pulmonary inflammation in patients without preexisting lung injury. Anesthesiology 2008; 108: 46–54.
83. , , Pressure-controlled versus volume-controlled ventilation during one-lung ventilation for thoracic surgery. Anesth Analg 2007; 104: 1029–33.
84. , , , et al. Effects of the beach chair position, positive end-expiratory pressure, and pneumoperitoneum on respiratory function in morbidly obese patients during anesthesia and paralysis. Anesthesiology 2007; 107: 725–32.
85. , , , et al. Hypercapnia improves tissue oxygenation. Anesthesiology 2002; 97: 801–6.
86. , , , et al. Mild hypercapnia increases subcutaneous and colonic oxygen tension in patients given 80% inspired oxygen during abdominal surgery. Anesthesiology 2006; 104: 944–9.
87. , , , , Acute hypercapnia improves indices of tissue oxygenation more than dobutamine in septic shock. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2008; 177: 178–83.
88. , , Prolonged residual paralysis after a single intubating dose of rocuronium. Br J Anaesth 2007; 99: 514–17.
89. , , , et al. Residual neuromuscular blockade and critical respiratory events in the postanesthesia care unit. Anesth Analg 2008; 107: 130–7.
90. , , , et al. The incidence and mechanisms of pharyngeal and upper esophageal dysfunction in partially paralyzed humans: pharyngeal videoradiography and simultaneous manometry after atracurium. Anesthesiology 2000; 92: 977–84.
91. , , , Reversal of profound rocuronium-induced blockade with sugammadex: a randomized comparison with neostigmine. Anesthesiology 2008; 109: 816–24.
92. , , , et al. Reversal of profound, high-dose rocuronium-induced neuromuscular blockade by sugammadex at two different time points: an international, multicenter, randomized, dose-finding, safety assessor-blinded, phase II trial. Anesthesiology 2008; 109: 188–97.
93. , , , et al. Effective reversal of moderate rocuronium- or vecuronium-induced neuromuscular block with sugammadex, a selective relaxant binding agent. Anesthesiology 2007; 106: 283–8.
94. , , , et al. Effects of isoflurane and propofol on cortical somatosensory evoked potentials during comparable depth of anaesthesia as guided by bispectral index. Br J Anaesth 2005; 94: 193–7.
95. , , , et al. Motor and somatosensory evoked potentials are well maintained in patients given dexmedetomidine during spine surgery. Anesthesiology 2008; 109: 417–25.
96. , , Pharmacologic and physiologic influences affecting sensory evoked potentials: implications for perioperative monitoring. Anesthesiology 2003; 99: 716–37.
97. , , , et al. Sleep disturbances after posterior scoliosis surgery with an intraoperative wake-up test using remifentanil. Anesthesiology 2008; 109: 629–41.