1. . Safe Abortion: Technical and Policy Guidance for Health Systems. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2012.
2. . Unsafe Abortion: Global and Regional Estimates of the Incidence of Unsafe Abortion and Associated Mortality in 2008, 6th edn. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011.
3. , , Ten years of confidential inquiries into maternal deaths in France, 1998–2007. Obstet Gynecol 2013;122:752–60.
4. , , . Measures to prevent cervical injury during suction curettage abortion. Lancet 1983;1:1182–4.
5. , , , Short-term complications after surgically induced abortions: a register-based study of 56 117 abortions. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2002;81:331–6.
6. Tips and Tricks in Operative Obstetrics and Gynecology. Jaypee Brothers Medical Pub., 2011: 243.
7. , Clinical Gynecologic Endocrinology and Infertility, 8th edn. Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2011.
8. . The Care of Women Requesting Induced Abortion. Evidence-based Clinical Guideline Number 7. November 2011.
9. , , , , , . Safety of late second-trimester pregnancy termination by laminaria dilatation and evacuation in patients with previous multiple cesarean sections. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2009;201:154 e151–5.
10. , . Intraoperative and early postoperative complications of operative hysteroscopy. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am 2000;27:347–66.
11. . Surgical abortion: management, complications, and long term risks. In , (eds.) Gynecology and Obstetrics. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Company, 1994: Chapter 59.
12. , . Management of uterine perforations in connection with legal abortions. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1995;74:373–5.
13. , Management of postabortion hemorrhage: release date November 2012 SFP Guideline #20131. Contraception 2013;87:331–42.
14. , , et al. Surgical techniques for first-trimester abortion. Glob Libr Women’s Med 2012; DOI 10.3843/GLOWM.10440.
15. , , , . Comparative risk of death from induced abortion at less than or equal to 12 weeks’ gestation performed with local versus general anesthesia. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1981;141:763–8.
16. , , , et al. Incidence of pelvic inflammatory disease after first-trimester legal abortion in women with bacterial vaginosis after treatment with metronidazole: a double-blind, randomized trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1992;166:100.
17. , Interruption Volontaire de la Grossesse médicamenteuse, 2nd edn. de Boeck/Estem, 2011.
18. , , , . A comparison of medical abortion (using mifepristone and gemeprost) with surgical vacuum aspiration: efficacy and early medical sequelae. Hum Reprod 1994;9:2167–72.
19. , , . Blood loss in termination of early pregnancy by vacuum aspiration and by combination of mifepristone and gemeprost. Contraception 1993;47:85–95.
20. , , , et al. Immediate complications after medical compared with surgical termination of pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2009;114:795–804.
21. , , , , . Curettage after mifepristone-induced abortion. Frequency, timing and indications. Obstetr Gynecol 2001;98:101–6.
23. . Providing Medical Abortion in Developing Countries: An Introductory Guidebook. New York: Gynuity Health Projects, 2004.
24. , , , Infection after medical abortion: a review of the literature. Contraception 2004;70:183–90.
25. , , . Fatal Clostridium sordellii infections after medical abortions. New England Journal of Medicine 2010;363:1382–3.
26. , , , , Rates of serious infection after changes in regimens for medical abortion. New England Journal of Medicine 2009;361:145–51.
27. , , , . Factors affecting the outcome of early medical abortion: a review of 4132 consecutive cases. BJOG 2002;109:1281–9.
28. , , , , , Two routes of administration for misoprostol in the treatment of incomplete abortion: a randomized clinical trial. Contraception 2009;79:456–62.
29. , , , . A comparison of medical induction and dilation and evacuation for second-trimester abortion. American Journal of Obstet Gynecol 2002;187:393–7.
30. Uterine rupture in second-trimester misoprostol-induced abortion after cesarean delivery: a systematic review. Obstet Gynecol 2009;113:1117–23.
, , eds. Misoprostol: An Emerging Technology for Women’s Health
. Report of a Seminar: May 7–8, 2001. New York
: Population Council