1. Develop national standards for emergency department design and operations.
2. Canadian Council on Health Services Accreditation should develop ED specific accreditation standards to insure compliance with Recommendation 1.
3. Regional resources to be developed to implement infection control aspects of ED design and operations.
4. Implementation of a national strategy for ED information systems to ensure access to real-time data.
5. Eliminate ED overcrowding by ensuring adequate long-term and acute-care resources and enforcing strict adherence to occupancy limits.
6. Develop relationships and enhance communication between public health and the emergency community.
7. Call a National Forum on the shortage of human resources in emergency medicine and nursing and related issues.
8. Develop national and regional strategies for communication of important notices and information, and departmental tools for dissemination and education such as nurse clinicians.
9. Rapid triage assessment of arriving patients by appropriately trained nurses at all times should be a national standard.