The final Educational objective of this Course is to provide the methodological and practical skills to enable the participants to plan and evaluate community mental health services. In particular, the Course will: 1) provide a background knowledge on conceptual and methodological issues regarding community mental health services satisfaction; 2) summaries the main relevant research findings
3) present a summary of relevant research instruments, 4) give a paradigm to understand the relationship between service development and mental health service research.
Course methods and material:
The course will be delivered through lectures with a strong interactive element during each session. The course material will relate to the following background texts
• Knudsen H. & Thornicroft G. (1996) Mental Health Service Evaluation. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. (translated into Italian).
• Goldberg D. & Thornicroft G. (1998) Mental Health in Our Future Cities. Laurence and Erlbaum, London.
• Slade M. & Thornicroft G. et al (1999) Camberwell Assessment of Need (CAN). (Translated into Italian)
• Tansella M. & Thornicroft G 9 (1999) Common Mental Disorders in Primary Care. Essay in Honour of Professor Sir David Goldberg. Routledge, London. (Translated into Portuguese)
• Thornicroft G. & Tansella M. (1999) The Mental Health Matrix. A Manual to Improve Services. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. (Translated into Italian, Rumanian, Russian and Spanish)
• Reynolds A. & Thornicroft G. (1999) Managing Mental Health Services. Open University Press, Milton Keynes. (Translated into Italian) (Highly Commended in BMA Medical Book Competition, 2000).
• Thornicroft G. & Szmukler G. (2001) Textbook of Community Psychiatry. Oxford University Press, Oxford. (Highly Commended in BMA Medical Book Competition, 2002)
• Thornicroft G. & Tansella M. & Thornicroft G (2001) Mental Health Outcome Measures (2nd Edition). Gaskell, Royal College of Psychiatrists, London.
• Thornicroft G (2001) Measuring Mental Health Needs (2nd edition). Gaskell, Royal College of Psychiatrist, London.
• Thornicroft G, Tansella M: The components of a modern mental health service: a pragmatic balance of community and hospital care. British Journal of Psychiatry 2004.
• Thornicroft G, Becker T, Knapp M, Knudsen HC, Schene AH, Tansella M et al.: International Outcome Measures in Mental Health. Quality of Life, Needs, Service Satisfaction, Costs and Impact on Carers. London: Gaskell, Royal College of Psychiatrists; 2006.
• Knapp MJ, McDaid D, Mossialos E, Thornicroft G: Mental Health Policy and Practice Across Europe. Buckingham: Open University Press; 2006.
• Thornicroft G: Shunned: Discrimination against People with Mental Illness. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2006.
• Tansella M, Thornicroft G, Barbui C, Cipriani A, Saraceno B: Seven criteria for improving effectiveness trials in psychiatry. Psychol Med 2006, 36: 711-720
The Course is directed to psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, psychiatric nurses, educators, and rehabilitation workers with a research interest.
No specific knowledge is requested beside the basic professional skills.
No other sponsor, except the individual teachers' universities
Course director's relationship to sponsor: