1. , , , et al. Weaning from mechanical ventilation. Eur Respir J 2007; 29 : 1033–56.
2. , , ., et al. Incidence and outcome of weaning from mechanical ventilation according to new categoriesEur Respir J 2010; 35 : 88–94.
3. , , et al. Effect on the duration of mechanical ventilation of identifying patients capable of breathing spontaneously. N Engl J Med 1996;335 : 1864–9.
4. , , et al. Outcome of reintubated patients after scheduled extubation. J Crit Care 2011; 26 : 502–9.
5. , , et al. Predicting success in weaning from mechanical ventilation. Chest 2001; 120 : 400S–4S
6. , , , et al. Effect of spontaneous breathing trial duration on outcome of attempts to discontinue mechanical ventilation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999; 159 : 512–18.
7. , , et al. Comparison of three methods of gradual withdrawal from ventilatory support during weaning from mechanical ventilation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1994; 150 : 896–903.
8. , , et al. A comparison of four methods of weaning patients from mechanical ventilation. New Engl J Med 1995 332 : 345–50.
9. , , et al. Characteristics and outcomes of ventilated patients according to time to liberation from mechanical ventilation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011; 184 : 430–7.
10. , , , . Use of weaning protocols for reducing duration of mechanical ventilation in critically ill adult patients: Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2011; 342: c7237.
11. , , , . Daily interruption of sedative infusions in critically ill patients undergoing mechanical ventilation. N Engl J Med 2000; 342 : 1471–7.
12. , , , et al. Efficacy and safety of a paired sedation and ventilator weaning protocol for mechanically ventilated patients in intensive care (Awakening and Breathing Controlled trial): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2008; 371 : 126–34.
13. , , et al. Early physical and occupational therapy in mechanically ventilated, critically ill patients: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2009; 373 : 1874–82.
14. , , et al. Rapid disuse atrophy of diaphragm fibers in mechanically ventilated humans. N Engl J Med 2008; 358 : 1327–35.
15. , , . Noninvasive positive pressure ventilation as a weaning strategy for intubated adults with respiratory failure. Can J Anaesth 2006; 53 : 305–15.
16. , , , . Non-invasive positive pressure ventilation for treatment of respiratory failure due to exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004; (1) : CD004104.
17. , , , . Noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation for postextubation respiratory distress: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2002; 287 : 3238–44.
18. , , , , et al. Noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation for respiratory failure after extubation. N Engl J Med 2004; 350 : 2452–60
19. , , , et al. The timing of tracheotomy in critically ill patients undergoing mechanical ventilation: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Chest 2011; 140 : 1456–65.
20. , , et al. Effect of early vs late tracheostomy placement on survival in patients receiving mechanical ventilation the TracMan randomized trial. JAMA. 2013; 309 : 2121–9
21. , , , et al. Effect of pressure support vs unassisted breathing through a tracheostomy collar on weaning duration in patients requiring prolonged mechanical ventilation. JAMA 2013; 309 : 671–7
22. , , et al. Physiological effects of decannulation in tracheostomised patients. Intens Care Med 2002; 28 : 1761–7.