1. , , , et al. Incidence of epilepsy in childhood and adolescence: a population based study in Nova Scotia form 1977–1985. Epilepsia 1996; 37: 19–23.
2. , , , et al. Onset of epilepsy and menarche – is there any relationship? Seizure 2006; 15: 571–5.
3. , . The effect of puberty on the course of epilepsy. Arch Neurol 1986; 43: 873–6.
4. . Fits and Faints. Philadelphia PA, MacKeith Press 1990.
5. . Psychogenic non-epileptic seizures. Pediatric Epilepsy Current Awareness Service 2006; 1: 9–13.
6. , . Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy of Janz. Neurology 1984; 34: 285–94.
7. , , , , . Long-term prognosis of typical childhood absence epilepsy. Neurology 1996; 47: 912–18.
8. , , , et al. Practice parameter: The evaluation of a first nonfebrile seizure in children (an evidence-based review). Report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology 2000; 55: 616–23.
9. , , , et al. SANAD Study Group. The SANAD study of effectiveness of valproate, lamotrigine or topiramate for treatment of generalized or unclassifiable epilepsy: an unblinded randomized controlled trial. Lancet 2007; 369: 1016–26.
10. , . When the first antiepileptic drug fails in a patient with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. Pract Neurol 2010; 10: 208–18.
11. , , , . Idiopathic generalized epilepsy syndromes of childhood and adolescence. In: , ed. The Treatment of Epilepsy Principles and Practice. Philadelphia, PA, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins 2006; p. 296.
12. , . Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy 25 years after seizure onset: a population-based study. Neurology 2009; 73: 1041–5.
13. , . Diagnostic usefulness and duration of the inpatient long-term video−EEG monitoring: findings in patients extensively investigated before the monitoring. Seizure 2010; 18: 470–3.
. The epilepsies: the diagnosis and management of the epilepsies in adults and children in primary and secondary care. Clinical Guideline 20. NICE
October 2004; www.nice.org.uk
. Diagnosis and management of epilepsies in children and young people Guideline 81. SIGN
16. , , , et al. Practice parameter: treatment of the child with a first unprovoked seizure. Report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and Practice Committee of the Child Neurology Society. Neurology 2003; 60: 166–75.
17. . Clobazam has equivalent efficacy to carbamazepine and phenytoin as monotherapy for childhood epilepsy. Epilepsia 1998; 39: 850–6.
18. and the EPMN-105 Study Group. Topiramate, carbamazepine, and valproate monotherapy: double-blind comparison in children with newly diagnosed epilepsy. J Child Neurol 2004; 19: 135–41.
19. , , , et al. SANAD Study Group. The SANAD study of effectiveness of carbamazepine, gabapentin, lamotrigine, oxcarbazepine or topiramate for treatment of partial epilepsy: an unblinded randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2007; 369: 1000–15.
20. , . Relapse following discontinuation of antiepileptic drugs: meta-analysis. Neurology 1994; 44: 601–8.
21. , , , et al. Discontinuation of anticonvulsant therapy in children free of seizures for 1 year. Neurology 1996; 46: 969–74.
22. , , , et al. Randomized prospective study of early discontinuation of AEDs in children with epilepsy. Neurology 1998; 50: 724–30.
23. , , , et al. A comparison between one and three years of treatment in uncomplicated childhood epilepsy: a prospective study. 1. Outcome in different seizure types. Epilepsia 1996; 37: 822–32.
24. , . Rapid versus slow withdrawal of antiepileptic drugs. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006; 19: CD005003.
25. , , , . Discontinuing antiepileptic drugs in children with epilepsy: a comparison of a six-week and a nine-month taper. N Engl J Med 1994; 330: 1407–10.
26. . Epilepsy in the teenager. Paediatr Child Health 2009; 19: 232–5.
27. , , , et al. Management issues for women with epilepsy – focus on pregnancy (an evidence-based review): II teratogenesis and perinatal outcomes. Epilepsia 2009; 50: 1237–46.
28. , , , et al. Management issues for women with epilepsy – focus on pregnancy (an evidence-based review): III vitamin K, folic acid, blood levels, and breast feeding. Epilepsia 2009; 50: 1247–55.
29. , , , . Multiple treatment comparisons in epilepsy monotherapy trials. Trials 2007; 8: 34.
30. , . Early identification of refractory epilepsy. N Engl J Med 2000; 342: 314–19.
31. , , , , . Educational underachievement in children with epilepsy: a model to predict the effects of epilepsy on educational achievement. J Child Neurol 2005; 20: 175–80.
32. , , . Managing the teenager with epilepsy: pediatric to adult care. Seizure 1997; 6: 27–30.