BJPsych & BJPsych Open Statistical Advisor
Salary: Voluntary Role
Closing date: 01/06/21
We are looking for Statistical Advisors to join the BJPsych & BJPsych Open Editorial Boards with the aim of improving the quality of statistical analysis of papers published in the journals.
The role involves:
• Reviewing the statistical analysis of papers or reviews for the journals on a regular basis (i.e. 8 per year across BJPsych & BJPsych Open)
• Providing second opinions on papers (e.g. where reviews are incomplete, or rejection of a commissioned article has been recommended, or where a statistical review has been recommended by another reviewer)
• If ethical concerns are raised about published content, conducting a statistical review into published papers on an ad hoc basis
• Advising how to improve the statistical quality of manuscripts e.g. revised guidance in Instructions for Authors, increase checks on submission.
• Contributing content such as original research, editorials, commentaries, ideas for commission topics and potential authors.
• Attending board meetings three times a year, either in person or remotely.
We are aiming to find applicants who are most suited to the role and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, including gender, age and ethnicity. We want an editorial board that reflects our values of equality and diversity of backgrounds and the global presence of the Royal College of Psychiatrists. Therefore, we particularly encourage applications from underrepresented groups in academic psychiatry.
• Expertise in statistics
• Ability to work in a team
• Higher degree or equivalent
• Record of peer-reviewing in mental health research
• Record of reviewing for BJPsych or BJPsych Open
Applications and recommendations should be sent to Alice Shuttleworth, BJPsych Managing Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org and include a brief CV and cover letter.
1) CV and cover letter circulated to Editor-in-Chiefs to confirm entry requirements are met.
2) Consultation with Deputy Editor team if required.
3) Statistical Advisors are recruited for a term of 3 years, subject to annual review and an initial probation period of 6 months. Terms can be extended at the discretion of the Editor-in-Chief.