From 1951 to December 1964 the Radiophysics Division of CSIRO regularly operated a solar radiospectrograph at Dapto, N.S.W. This instrument finally spanned the frequency range from 5-2000 MHz with 8 separate receivers, 6 of which used mechanical tuning. Simple rhombic aerials were used on all bands except the 200-2000 MHz band which used a parabolic reflector. The quiet sun could be detected on the latter band only.
During 1965 a section of this spectrograph covering the frequency bands from 10-210 MHz was moved to the CSIRO Solar Observatory, Culgoora, N.S.W., and operated as an interim measure to maintain continuity of observations during the installation of the 80 MHz radioheliograph.