1. Murray, CJL, King, G, Lopez, AD, Tomijima, N, Krug, EG. Armed conflict as a public health problem. BMJ. 2002;324:346-349.
2. Degomme, O, Guha-Sapir, D. Patterns of mortality rates in Darfur conflict. Lancet. 2010;375:294-300.
3. Depoortere, E, Checchi, F, Broillet, F, Gerstl, S, Minetti, A, et al. . Violence and mortality in West Darfur, Sudan (2003-04): epidemiological evidence from four surveys. Lancet. 2004;364:1315-1320.
4. Coghlan, B, Brennan, RJ, Ngoy, P, Dofara, D, Otto, B, et al. . Mortality in the Democratic Republic of Congo: a nationwide survey. Lancet. 2006;367:44-51.
5. Ahoua, L, Tamrat, A, Duroch, F, Grais, RF, Brown, V. High mortality in an internally displaced population in Ituri, Democratic Republic of Congo, 2005: results of a rapid assessment under difficult conditions. Glob Public Health. 2006;1(3):195-204.
6. Van Herp, M, Parque, V, Rackley, E, Ford, N. Mortality, violence and lack of access to health-care in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Disasters. 2003;27(2):141-153.
9. Awqati, NA, Ali, MM, Al-Ward, NJ, et al. . Causes and differentials of childhood mortality in Iraq. BMC Pediatr. 2009;22:9-40.
10. Burnham, G, Lafta, R, Doocy, S, Roberts, L. Mortality after the 2003 invasion of Iraq: a cross-sectional cluster sample survey. Lancet. 2006;368(9545):1421-1428.
11. Alkhuzai, AH, Ahmad, IJ, Hweel, MJ, et al. . Iraq Family Health Survey Study Group, Violence-related mortality in Iraq from 2002 to 2006. N Engl J Med. 2008;358(5):484-493.
12. Roberts, L, Lafta, R, Garfield, R, Khudhairi, J, Burnham, G. Mortality before and after the 2003 invasion of Iraq: cluster sample survey. Lancet. 2004;364(9448):1857-1864.
13. Siegler, A, Roberts, L, Balch, E, Bargues, E, Bhalla, A, Bills, C, et al. . Media coverage of violent deaths in Iraq: an opportunistic capture-recapture assessment. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2008;23(4):369-371.
14. Spiegel, PB, Salama, P. War and mortality in Kosovo, 1998–99: an epidemiological testimony. Lancet. 2000;355(9222):2204-2209.
15. Hicks MH, Dardagan H, Serdan GG, Bagnal PM, Sloboda JA, Spagat M. The weapons that kill civilians — deaths of children and noncombatants in Iraq, 2003–2008. N Engl J Med 360;16: 1585-1588.
16. Donaldson, RI, Hasson, T, Aziz, S, Ansari, W, Evans, G. The development of civilian emergency medical care during an insurgency: current status and future outlook in Iraq. Ann Emerg Med. 2010;56(2):172-177.
17. Zarocostas, J. Exodus of medical staff strains Iraq's health facilities. BMJ. 2007;334(7599):865.
18. Ugalde, A, Selva-Sutter, E, Castillo, C, Paz, C, Cañas, S. The health costs of war: can they be measured? Lessons from El Salvador. BMJ. 2000;321:169-172.
19. Voelker, R. Iraqi Health Minister works to reform, restore neglected system. JAMA. 2008;300(6):639.
20. Al-Sahlawi, KS, Zahid, MA, Shahid, AA, Hatim, M, Al-Bader, M. A study of violence against doctors in accident and emergency departments. Eur J Emerg Med. 1999;6(4):301-304.
21. Carmi-Iluz, T, Peleg, R, Freud, T, Shvartzman, P. Verbal and physical violence towards hospital- and community-based physicians in the Negev: an observational study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2005;5:54.
22. Kowalenko, T, Walters, BL, Khare, RK, Compton, S. Workplace violence: a survey of emergency physicians in the state of Michigan. Ann Emerg Med. 2005;46(2):142-147.
23. Ferns, T. Violence in the accident and emergency department — an international perspective. Accid Emerg Nurs. 2005;13(3):180-185.
24. Ryan, D, Maguire, J. Aggression and violence — a problem in Irish Accident and Emergency departments? J Nurs Manag. 2006;14(2):106-115.
25. Derazon, H, Nissimian, S, Yosefy, C, Peled, R, Hay, E. Violence in the emergency department in Hebrew. Harefuah. 1999;137(3-4):95-101, 175.
26. Lyneham, J. Violence in New South Wales emergency departments. Aust J Adv Nurs. 2000;18(2):8-17.
27. Steel, Z, Chey, T, Silove, D, Marnane, C, Bryant, RA, van Ommeren, M. Association of torture and other potentially traumatic events with mental health outcomes among populations exposed to mass conflict and displacement: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA. 2009;302(5):537-549.
28. Brackbill, RM, Hadler, JL, DiGrande, L, et al. . Asthma and posttraumatic stress symptoms 5 to 6 years following exposure to the World Trade Center terrorist attack. JAMA. 2009;302(5):502-516.
29. Sonis, J, Gibson, JL, de Jong, JTVM, Field, NP, Hean, S, Komproe, I. Probable posttraumatic stress disorder and disability in Cambodia: associations with perceived justice, desire for revenge, and attitudes toward the Khmer Rouge trials. JAMA. 2009;302(5):527-536.
31. Alagappan, K, Holliman, JC. History of the development of international emergency medicine. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2005;23(1):1-10.