1. Briggs, SM: Earthquakes. Surg Clin North Am 2006;86:537–544.
2. Knudson, P, Frecceri, CA, DeLateur, SA: Improving the field triage of major trauma victims. J Trauma 1988;28:602–606.
3. Yates, DW: Major disasters. Surgical triage. Br J Hosp Med 1979;22:323–326.
4. Ashkenazi, I, Isakovich, B, Kluger, Y, et al. : Prehospital management of earthquake casualties buried under rubble. Prehospital Disast Med 2005;20:120–133.
5. Schultz, CH, Koenig, KL, Noji, EK: A medical disaster response to reduce immediate mortality after an earthquake. New Eng J Med 1996; 334:438–444.
6. Coupland, RM, Parker, PJ, Gray, RC: Triage of war wounded: The experience of the International Committee of the Red Cross. Injury 1992;23:507–510.
7. Gray, R: Surgery of war and disaster. Tropical Doct 1991;21:56–60.
8. Peleg, K, Reuveni, H, Stein, M: Earthquakes disasters—Lessons to be learned. Isr Med Assoc J 2002;4:361–365.
9. Baker, MS: Creating order from chaos:Part I: Triage, intitial care, and tactical considerations in mass casualty and disaster response. Mil Med 2007;172:232–236.
10. Emami, MJ, Tavakoli, AR, Alemzadeh, H, et al. : Strategies in evaluation and management of Bam earthquake victims. Prehospital Disast Med 2005;20:327–330.
11. Peek-Asa, C, Kraus, JF, Bourque, LB, et al. : Fatal and hospitalized injuries resulting from the 1994 Northridge earthquake. Int J Epidemiol 1998;27:459–465.
12. Armenian, HK, Melkonian, A, Noji, EK, et al. : Deaths and injuries due to the earthquake in Armenia: A cohort approach. Int J Epidemiol 1997;26:806–813.
13. Shoaf, KI, Sareen, HR, Nguyen, LH, et al. : Injuries as a result of California earthquakes in the past decade. Disasters 1998;22:218–235.
14. Tanaka, H, Oda, J, Iwai, A, et al. : Morbidity and mortality of hospitalized patients after the 1995 Hanshin-Awaji earthquake. Am J Emerg Med 1999;17:186–191.
15. Tanaka, H, Iwai, A, Oda, J, et al. : Overview of evacuation and transport of patients following the 1995 Hanshin-Awaji earthquake. J Emerg Med 1998,16:439–444.
16. Esposito, TJ, Offner, PJ, Jurkovich, GJ, et al. : Do prehospital trauma center triage criteria identify major trauma victims? Arch Surg 1995;130:171–176.
17. Wardrope, J, Laird, C, Driscoll, P: The ABC of community emergency care: Introduction, series summary, the system of care. Emerg Med J 2004;21:89–94.
18. Chesnut, RM: Management of brain and spine injuries. Crit Care Clin 2004;20:25–55.
19. Siegel, JH, Gens, DR, , Mamantov, et al. : Effect of associated injuries and blood volume replacement on death, rehabilitation needs, and disability in blunt traumatic brain injury. Management of the acute head injury patient. Crit Care Med 1991;19:1252–1265.
20. Roberts, JR: Pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment of head trauma. Top Emerg Med 1979;1:41.
21. Rhee, KJ, Green, W, Holcroft, JW, et al. : Oral intubation in the multiply injured patient: The risk of exacerbating spinal cord damage. Ann Emerg Med 1990;9:511–514.
22. Levi, L, Wolf, A, Belzberg, H: Hemodynamic parameters in patients with acute cervical cord trauma: Description, intervention and prediction of outcome. Neurosurgery 1993;33:1007–1016.
23. Bracken, MB, Shephard, MJ, Holford, TR, et al. : Administration of methylprednisolone for 24 or 48 hours or tirilazad mesylate for 48 hours in the treatment of acute spinal cord injury. Results of the Third National Acute Spinal Cord Injury Randomized Controlled Trial. National Acute Spinal Cord Injury Study. JAMA 1997;277:1597–1604.
24. Tahmasebi, MN, Kiani, K, Mazlouman, SJ, et al. : Musculoskeletal injuries associated with earthquake. A report of injuries of Iran's December 26, 2003 Bam earthquake casualties managed in tertiary referral centers. Injury 2005;36:27–32.
25. Latenser, BA, Gentilello, LM, Tarver, AA, et al. : Improved outcome with early fixation of skeletally unstable pelvic fractures. J Trauma 1991;31:28–31.
26. Stein, H, Hoerer, D, Weisz, I, et al. : Orthopedics 2000;23:1085–1087.
27. Reis, ND, Better, OS: Mechanical muscle-crush injury and acute musclecrush compartment syndrome:With special reference to earthquake casualties. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2005;87:450–453.
28. Huang, KC, Lee, TS, Lin, YM, et al. : Clinical features and outcome of crush syndrome caused by the Chi-Chi earthquake. J Formos Med Assoc 2002;101:249–256.
29. Johansen, K, Daines, M, Howey, T, et al. : Objective criteria accurately predict amputation following lower extremity trauma. J Trauma 1990;30:568–572.
30. Feliciano, DV, Cruse, PA, Spjut-Patrinely, V, et al. : Fasciotomy after trauma to the extremities. Am J Surg 1988;156:533–536.
31. Ozdogan, S, Hocaoglu, A, Caglayan, B, et al. : Thorax and lung injuries arising from the two earthquakes in Turkey in 1999. Chest 2001;120:1163–1166.
32. Ghodsi, SM, Zargar, M, Khaji, A, et al. : Chest injury in victims of Bam earthquake. Chin J Traumatol 2006;9:345–348.
33. Jackimczyk, K: Blunt chest trauma. Emerg Med Clin North Am 1993;11:81–96.
34. Ciraulo, D, Elliott, D, Mitchell, K, et al. : Flail chest injuries as a marker for significant injuries. J Am Coll Surg 1994;178:466–470.
35. Pretre, R, Chilcott, M: Blunt trauma to the heart and great vessels. N Engl J Med 1997;336:626–632.
36. Rosenkranz, KM, Sheridan, R: Management of the burned trauma patient: balancing conflicting priorities. Burns 2002;28:665–669.
37. Nakamori, Y, Tanaka, H, Oda, J, et al. : Burn injuries in the 1995 Hanshin-Awaji earthquake. Burns 1997;23:319–322.
38. Sheridan, R, Barillo, D, Herndon, D, et al. : Burn speciality teams. J Burn Care Rehabil 2005;26:170–173.
39. Wisner, DH, Chun, Y, Blaisdell, FW: Blunt intestinal injury. Keys to diagnosis and management. Arch Surg 1990;125:1319–1322.
40. Renz, BM, Feliciano, DV: Unnecessary laparotomies for trauma: A prospective study for morbidity. J Trauma 1995;38:350–356.
41. Ahmad, W, Polk, HC: Blunt abdominal trauma: A prospective study with selective peritoneal lavage. Arch Surg 1976;111:489–492.
42. Matthews, LA, Spirnak, JP: The nonoperative approach to major blunt renal trauma. Semin Urol 1995;13:77–82.
43. Carlin, BI, Resnick, MI: Indications and techniques for urologic evaluation of the trauma patient with suspected urologic injury. Semin Urol 1995;13:9–24.
44. Koraitim, MM: Pelvic fracture urethral injuries: Evaluation of various methods of management. J Urol 1996;156:1288–1291.
45. Erek, E, Sever, MS, Serdengecti, K, et al. : An oview of morbidity and mortality in patients with acute renal failure due to crush syndrome: The Marmara earthquake experience. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2002;17:33–40.
46. Rock, P, Yao, Z: Ischemia reperfusion injury, preconditioning and critical illness. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 2002;15:139–146.
47. Montazeri, A, Baradaran, H, Omidvari, S, et al. : Psychological distress among Bam earthquake survivors in Iran: A population-based study. BMC Public Health 2005;11:4.
48. Feeny, NC, Zoellner, LA, Fitzgibbons, LA, et al. : Exploring the roles of emotional numbing, depression and dissociation in PTSD. JTrauma Stress 2000;13:489–498.
49. Brewin, CR, Andrews, B, Rose, S: Fear, helplessness and horror in posttraumatic stress disorder: Investigating DSM-IV criterion A2 in victims of violent crime. J Trauma Stress 2000;13:499–509.
50. Meltzer-Brody, S, Churchill, E, Davidson, JR: Derivation of the SPAN, a brief diagnostic screening test for post-traumatic stress disorder. Psychiatry Research 1999;88:63–70.
51. Goenjian, AK, Steinberg, AM, Najarian, LM, et al. : Prospective study of posttraumatic stress, anxiety, and depressive reactions after earthquake and political violence. Am J Psychiatry 2000;157:911–916.
52. Lonigan, CJ, Anthony, JL, Shannon, MP: Diagnostic efficacy of posttraumatic symptoms in children exposed to disaster. J Clin Child Psychol 1998;27:255–267.