1. American Heritage Dictionary. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2000, p 292.
2. Oxford English Dictionary. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002, p 271.
3. American Heritage Dictionary. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2000, p 2,920.
4. Gebbie, K, Merrill, J: Public health worker competencies for emergency response. J Public Health Manag Pract 2002;8:73-81.
5. Hsu, EB, Thomas, TL, Bass, EB, Whyne, D, Kelen, GD, Green, GB: Healthcare worker competencies for disaster training. BMC Medical Education 2006;6:19.
6. Subbarao, I, Lyznicki, JM, Hsu, EB, Gebbie, KM, Markenson, D et al. : Disaster Med Public Health Preparedness 2008;2:57-68.
7. Heng, YV, Davoung, C, Husum, H: Non-doctors as trauma surgeons? A controlled study of trauma training for non-graduate surgeons in rural Cambodia. Prehospital Disast Med 2008;23(6):483-489.
8. Ireland, CJ, Zeitz, KM, Bridgewater, FHG: Acquiring and maintaining competence in the application of extrication cervical collars by a group of first responders. Prehospital Disast Med 2008;23(6):530-536.
9. Sztajnkrycer, MD: Needle thoracostomy by non-medical law enforcement personnel: Preliminary data on knowledge retention. Prehospital Diast Med 2008;23(6):553-557.
10. Sundnes KO: Personal communication