Despite having an npn epitaxial structure resembling a Si BJT, the switching performance of the SiC Junction Transistor or SJT is purely controlled by its terminal capacitances, similar to a SiC MOSFET or JFET. Further, the absence of a “high-resistance” SiC MOS channel in the SJT means that the SJT’s RON,sp is solely limited by the resistance of the n- drift region. Recently released SJTs feature RON,sp as low as 2 mΩ-cm2 for a breakdown voltage (BV) of 1600 V, and a RON,sp of 2.4 mΩ-cm2, for a breakdown voltage of 2000 V. Current gains > 100 are achieved, even on the highest current SJTs. Unlike Si BJTs, SJTs do not suffer from second breakdown, and can perform under unclamped inductive switching (UIS) conditions, even at full rated collector currents. Near-∞ Early voltage and a negative temperature co-efficient of current gain in a SJT ensure low collector currents under short-circuited load conditions, resulting in short-circuit withstand time as high as 14 µs, even at > 80% of the maximum rated BV. Recent technological developments have significantly improved the stability of the SJT current gain (β) under high-current stress conditions. A 1000-hour long, 200 A/cm2 DC current stress results in only 10% reduction of the current gain (β) during the early stages of the stress test, while the β is perfectly stable for the remainder (>90%) of the stress duration. Similar β compression is observed, whether the collector current stress is applied at DC, or at a high switching frequency ≥ 200 kHz.