The striking and enigmatic stone head reproduced on plate IX, nos. 2, 3, and fig. 3 (p. 64), was presented to the Dumfries Burgh Museum in September, 1951, along with two Roman altars. These three objects had been preserved at Burnfoot House, Birrens, Annandale, for over a century, and had always been together within the memory of living members of the Irving family, which owned the property until 1950. One of the altars, that of Minerva, was dug up in 1810 during stone-robbing in the vicus of the Birrens Roman fort: the smaller altar, that of Fortuna, came to light on the same site in 1886. There is further a local tradition of the finding of a head, described as being that of Jupiter, at Birrens c. 1816, also in the course of stone-robbing; but no evidence exists for equating with it the head which is the subject of this note, since the provenance of the latter is not recorded.