1. Barker, DJP. The fetal and infant origins of adult disease. Br Med J. 1990; 301, 1111.
2. Barker, DJP, Osmond, C, Law, CM. The intrauterine and early postnatal origins of cardiovascular disease and chronic bronchitis. J Epidemiol Community Health. 1989; 43, 237–240.
3. Baker, JL, Olsen, LW, Sorensen, TIA. Weight at birth and all-cause mortality in adulthood. Epidemiology. 2008; 19, 197–203.
4. Huxley, R, Owen, CG, Whincup, PH, et al. Is birth weight a risk factor for ischemic heart disease in later life? Am J Clin Nutr. 2007; 85, 1244–1250.
5. Leon, DA, Koupil, I, Mann, V, et al. Fetal, developmental, and parental influences on childhood systolic blood pressure in 600 sib pairs: the Uppsala Family Study. Circulation. 2005; 112, 3478–3485.
6. Johnson, RC, Schoeni, RF. Early-life origins of adult disease: national longitudinal population-based study of the United States. Am J Public Health. 2011; 101, 2317–2324.
7. Whincup, PH, Kaye, SJ, Owen, CG, et al. Birth weight and risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review. JAMA. 2008; 300, 2886–2897.
8. Rich-Edwards, JW, Stampfer, MJ, Manson, JE, et al. Birth weight and risk of cardiovascular disease in a cohort of women followed up since 1976. Br Med J. 1997; 315, 396–400.
9. Barker, DJP, Godfrey, KM, Fall, C, et al. Relation of birth weight and childhood respiratory infection to adult lung function and death from chronic obstructive airways disease. Br Med J. 1991; 303, 671–675.
10. Hoy, WE, Kile, E, Rees, M, Mathews, JD. Low birthweight and renal disease in Australian Aborigines. Lancet. 1998; 352, 1826–1827.
11. Lackland, DT, Bendall, HE, Osmond, C, et al. Low birth weights contribute to high rates of early-onset chronic renal failure in the Southeastern United States. Arch Intern Med. 2000; 160, 1472–1476.
12. Dyck, R, Klomp, H, Tan, L, et al. An association of maternal age and birth weight with end-stage renal disease in Saskatchewan. Sub-analysis of registered Indians and those with diabetes. Am J Nephrol. 2003; 23, 395–402.
13. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Tiwi Islands 2011 census of population and housing. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples (Indigenous profile). Cat no. 2002.0. ABS, Commonwealth of Australia, 2012.
14. Spencer, JS, Silva, D, Snelling, P, et al. An epidemic of renal failure among Australian Aborigines. Med J Aust. 1998; 168, 537–541.
15. Hoy, WE, Mathews, JD, McCredie, DA, et al. The multidimensional nature of renal disease: rates and associations of albuminuria in an Australian Aboriginal community. Kidney Int. 1998; 54, 1296–1304.
16. Hoy, WE, Nicol, JL. Birthweight and natural deaths in a remote Australian Aboriginal community. Med J Aust. 2010; 192, 14–19.
19. Sparke, C, Moon, L, Green, F, et al. Estimating the total incidence of kidney failure in Australia including individuals who are not treated by dialysis or transplantation. Am J Kid Dis. 2013; 61, 413–419.
20. Hoy, WE, Mott, SA, McDonald, S. An expanded nationwide view of chronic kidney disease in Aboriginal Australians. Nephrology. 2016; 21, 916–922.
21. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare 2015. Australian Burden of Disease Study: fatal burden of disease in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people 2010. Australian Burden of Disease Study series no. 2. Cat. no. BOD 2. Canberra: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare.
22. McComb, J, Woods, M. Northern Territory Perinatal Collection. Statistical Report, in Northern Territory Midwives Collection 1993. Epidemiology Branch, Territory Health Services, 1996.
23. Andersen, AM, Osler, M. Birth dimensions, parental mortality, and mortality in early adult age: a cohort study of Danish men born in 1953. Int J Epidemiol. 2004; 33, 92–99.
24. Kajantie, E, Osmond, C, Barker, DJP, et al. Size at birth as a predictor of mortality in adulthood: a follow-up of 350000 person-years. Int J Epidemiol. 2005; 34, 655–663.
25. Risnes, KR, Vatten, LJ, Baker, JL, et al. Birthweight and mortality in adulthood: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Epidemiol. 2011; 40, 647–661.
26. Hughson, MD, Farris, AB III, Denton-Douglas, R, et al. Glomerular number and size in autopsy kidneys: the relationship to birth weight. Kidney Int. 2003; 63, 2113–2122.
27. Singh, GR, Hoy, WE. The association between birth weight and current blood pressure: a cross-sectional study in an Australian Aboriginal community. Med J Aust. 2003; 179, 532–537.
28. McNamara, BJ, Gubhaju, L, Chamberlain, C, et al. Early life influences on cardio-metabolic disease risk in aboriginal populations – what is the evidence? A systematic review of longitudinal and case–control studies. Int J Epidemiol. 2012; 41, 1661–1682.
29. Hall, J, Case, A, O’Neil, L. Northern Territory Midwives’ Collection. Mothers and Babies 2013. Department of Health, Darwin, 2015. Retrieved 7 June 2016 from http://digitallibrary.health.nt.gov.au.
30. Templeton, M, Pieris-Caldwell, I. Gestational Diabetes Mellitus in Australia, 2005-06. Cat. No. CVD 44. 2008. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare: Canberra.
31. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Birthweight of Babies Born to Indigenous Mothers. Cat. No. IHW 138. 2014. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare