1. Wunsch, H, Linde-Zwirble, WT, Angus, DC, Hartman, ME, Milbrandt, EB, Kahn, JM. The epidemiology of mechanical ventilation use in the United States. Crit Care Med 2010;38:1947–1953.
2. Esteban, A, Anzueto, A, Frutos, F, et al. Characteristics and outcomes in adult patients receiving mechanical ventilation: a 28-day international study. JAMA 2002;287:345–355.
3. Kahn, JM, Goss, CH, Heagerty, PJ, Kramer, AA, O’Brien, CR, Rubenfeld, GD. Hospital volume and the outcomes of mechanical ventilation. N Engl J Med 2006;355:41–50.
4. Rubenfeld, GD, Caldwell, E, Peabody, E, et al. Incidence and outcomes of acute lung injury. N Engl J Med 2005;353:1685–1693.
5. Mizgerd, JP. Acute lower respiratory tract infection. N Engl J Med 2008;358:716–727.
6. Heyland, DK, Cook, DJ, Griffith, L, Keenan, SP, Brun-Buisson, C. The attributable morbidity and mortality of ventilator-associated pneumonia in the critically ill patient. The Canadian Critical Trials Group. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999;159:1249–1256.
7. Bekaert, M, Timsit, JF, Vansteelandt, S, et al. Attributable mortality of ventilator-associated pneumonia: a reappraisal using causal analysis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011;184:1133–1139.
8. Klompas, M. The paradox of ventilator-associated pneumonia prevention measures. Crit Care 2009;13:315.
9. Klompas, M. Eight initiatives that misleadingly lower ventilator-associated pneumonia rates. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:408–410.
10. Klompas, M, Platt, R. Ventilator-associated pneumonia—the wrong quality measure for benchmarking. Ann Intern Med 2007;147:803–805.
11. Muscedere, J, Rewa, O, McKechnie, K, Jiang, X, Laporta, D, Heyland, DK. Subglottic secretion drainage for the prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Crit Care Med 2011;39:1985–1991.
12. Zilberberg, MD, Shorr, AF, Kollef, MH. Implementing quality improvements in the intensive care unit: ventilator bundle as an example. Crit Care Med 2009;37:305–309.
13. Berenholtz, SM, Pham, JC, Thompson, DA, et al. Collaborative cohort study of an intervention to reduce ventilator-associated pneumonia in the intensive care unit. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2011;32:305–314.
14. Lawrence, P, Fulbrook, P. The ventilator care bundle and its impact on ventilator-associated pneumonia: a review of the evidence. Nurs Crit Care 2011;16:222–234.
15. Ferreira, CR, de Souza, DF, Cunha, TM, et al. The effectiveness of a bundle in the prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Braz J Infect Dis 2016;20:267–271.
16. Sachetti, A, Rech, V, Dias, AS, Fontana, C, Barbosa Gda, L, Schlichting, D. Adherence to the items in a bundle for the prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Rev Bras Ter Intensiva 2014;26:355–359.
17. Sen, S, Johnston, C, Greenhalgh, D, Palmieri, T. Ventilator-associated pneumonia prevention bundle significantly reduces the risk of ventilator-associated pneumonia in critically ill burn patients. J Burn Care Res 2016;37:166–171.
18. Al-Thaqafy, MS, El-Saed, A, Arabi, YM, Balkhy, HH. Association of compliance of ventilator bundle with incidence of ventilator-associated pneumonia and ventilator utilization among critical patients over 4 years. Ann Thorac Med 2014;9:221–226.
19. Sulis, CA, Walkey, AJ, Abadi, Y, Campbell Reardon, C, Joyce-Brady, M. Outcomes of a ventilator-associated pneumonia bundle on rates of ventilator-associated pneumonia and other health care-associated infections in a long-term acute care hospital setting. Am J Infect Control 2014;42:536–538.
20. Eom, JS, Lee, MS, Chun, HK, et al. The impact of a ventilator bundle on preventing ventilator-associated pneumonia: a multicenter study. Am J Infect Control 2014;42:34–37.
21. Lim, KP, Kuo, SW, Ko, WJ, et al. Efficacy of ventilator-associated pneumonia care bundle for prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia in the surgical intensive care units of a medical center. J Microbiol Immunol Infect 2015;48:316–321.
22. Bukhari, SZ, Hussain, WM, Banjar, AA, Fatani, MI, Karima, TM, Ashshi, AM. Application of ventilator care bundle and its impact on ventilator associated pneumonia incidence rate in the adult intensive care unit. Saudi Med J 2012;33:278–283.
23. Pogorzelska, M, Stone, PW, Furuya, EY, et al. Impact of the ventilator bundle on ventilator-associated pneumonia in intensive care unit. Int J Qual Health Care 2011;23:538–544.
24. Morris, AC, Hay, AW, Swann, DG, et al. Reducing ventilator-associated pneumonia in intensive care: impact of implementing a care bundle. Crit Care Med 2011;39:2218–2224.
25. Bird, D, Zambuto, A, O’Donnell, C, et al. Adherence to ventilator-associated pneumonia bundle and incidence of ventilator-associated pneumonia in the surgical intensive care unit. Arch Surg 2010;145:465–470.
26. Al-Tawfiq, JA, Abed, MS. Decreasing ventilator-associated pneumonia in adult intensive care units using the Institute for Healthcare Improvement bundle. Am J Infect Control 2010;38:552–556.
27. Blamoun, J, Alfakir, M, Rella, ME, et al. Efficacy of an expanded ventilator bundle for the reduction of ventilator-associated pneumonia in the medical intensive care unit. Am J Infect Control 2009;37:172–175.
28. Talbot, TR, Carr, D, Parmley, CL, et al. Sustained reduction of ventilator-associated pneumonia rates using real-time course correction with a ventilator bundle compliance dashboard. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2015;36:1261–1267.
29. Raoof, S, Baumann, MH, Critical Care Societies Collaborative cotlotAAoC-CNtACoCPtATS, the Society of Critical Care M. Ventilator-associated events: the new definition. Am J Crit Care 2014;23:7–9.
30. Klompas, M. Ventilator-associated events surveillance: a patient safety opportunity. Curr Opin Crit Care 2013;19:424–431.
31. Klompas, M, Khan, Y, Kleinman, K, et al. Multicenter evaluation of a novel surveillance paradigm for complications of mechanical ventilation. PLoS One 2011;6:e18062.
32. Price, R, MacLennan, G, Glen, J, Su, DC. Selective digestive or oropharyngeal decontamination and topical oropharyngeal chlorhexidine for prevention of death in general intensive care: systematic review and network meta-analysis. BMJ 2014;348:g2197.
33. Klompas, M, Li, L, Kleinman, K, Szumita, PM, Massaro, AF. Associations between ventilator bundle components and outcomes. JAMA Intern Med 2016;176:1277–1283.
34. Enwere, EN, Elofson, KA, Forbes, RC, Gerlach, AT. Impact of chlorhexidine mouthwash prophylaxis on probable ventilator-associated pneumonia in a surgical intensive care unit. Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci 2016;6:3–8.
35. Klompas, M. Ventilator-associated conditions versus ventilator-associated pneumonia: different by design. Curr Infect Dis Rep 2014;16:430.
36. Lewis, SC, Li, L, Murphy, MV, Klompas, M, Epicenters CDCP. Risk factors for ventilator-associated events: a case-control multivariable analysis. Crit Care Med 2014;42:1839–1848.