1. Colla, CH, Morden, NE, Sequist, TD, Schpero, WL, Rosenthal, MB. Choosing wisely: prevalence and correlates of low-value health care services in the United States. J Gen Intern Med 2015;30:221–228.
2. Rosenberg, A, Agiro, A, Gottlieb, M, et al. Early trends among seven recommendations from the Choosing Wisely Campaign. JAMA Intern Med 2015;175:1913–1920.
4. Trautner, BW. Asymptomatic bacteriuria: when the treatment is worse than the disease. Nat Rev Urol 2012;9:85–93.
5. Rotjanapan, P, Dosa, D, Thomas, KS. Potentially inappropriate treatment of urinary tract infections in two Rhode Island nursing homes. Arch Intern Med 2011;171:438–443.
6. Hartley, S, Valley, S, Kuhn, L, et al. Inappropriate testing for urinary tract infection in hospitalized patients: an opportunity for improvement. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2013;34:1204–1207.
7. Leis, JA, Gold, WL, Daneman, N, Shojania, K, McGeer, A. Downstream impact of urine cultures ordered without indication at two acute care teaching hospitals. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2013;34:1113–1114.
8. Kiyatkin, D, Bessman, E, McKenzie, R. Impact of antibiotic choices made in the emergency department on appropriateness of antibiotic treatment of urinary tract infections in hospitalized patients. J Hosp Med 2016;11:181–184.
9. Grein, JD, Kahn, KL, Eells, SJ, et al. Treatment for positive urine cultures in hospitalized adults: a survey of prevalence and risk factors in 3 medical centers. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2016;37:319–326.
10. Hartley, S, Valley, S, Kuhn, L, et al. Overtreatment of asymptomatic bacteriuria: identifying targets for improvement. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2015;36:470–473.
11. President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology. Report to the President on Combating Antibiotic Resistance. Executive Office of the President; 2014.
13. Cai, T, Nesi, G, Mazzoli, S, et al. Asymptomatic bacteriuria treatment is associated with a higher prevalence of antibiotic resistant strains in women with urinary tract infections. Clin Infect Dis 2015;61:1655–1661.
14. Nicolle, LE, Bradley, S, Colgan, R, Rice, JC, Schaeffer, A, Hooton, TM. Infectious Diseases Society of America guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of asymptomatic bacteriuria in adults. Clin Infect Dis 2005;40:643–654.
15. Alahmadi, YM, Aldeyab, MA, McElnay, JC, et al. Clinical and economic impact of contaminated blood cultures within the hospital setting. J Hosp Infect 2011;77:233–236.
16. MacVane, SH, Tuttle, LO, Nicolau, DP. Impact of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing organisms on clinical and economic outcomes in patients with urinary tract infection. J Hosp Med 2014;9:232–238.
18. Haider, AH, Gupta, S, Zogg, CK, et al. Beyond incidence: costs of complications in trauma and what it means for those who pay. Surgery 2015;158:96–103.
19. Malas, MB, Canner, JK, Hicks, CW, et al. Trends in incident hemodialysis access and mortality. JAMA Surg 2015;150:441–448.
20. Iacus, SM, King, G, Porro, G. Casual influence without balance checking: coarsened exact matching. Polit Anal 2012;20:1–24.
21. Elixhauser, A, Steiner, C, Harris, DR, Coffey, RM. Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data. Med Care 1998;36:8–27.
22. Christensen, KL, Holman, RC, Steiner, CA, Sejvar, JJ, Stoll, BJ, Schonberger, LB. Infectious disease hospitalizations in the United States. Clin Infect Dis 2009;49:1025–1035.
23. Freedberg, DE, Salmasian, H, Cohen, B, Abrams, JA, Larson, EL. Receipt of antibiotics in hospitalized patients and risk for Clostridium difficile infection in subsequent patients who occupy the same bed. JAMA Intern Med 2016;176:1801–1808.
25. Sousa, R, Munoz-Mahamud, E, Quayle, J, et al. Is asymptomatic bacteriuria a risk factor for prosthetic joint infection? Clin Infect Dis 2014;59:41–47.
26. Drekonja, DM, Zarmbinski, B, Johnson, JR. Preoperative urine cultures at a veterans affairs medical center. JAMA Intern Med 2013;173:71–72.
27. Bailin, S, Noiseux, N, Pottinger, JM, et al.. Screening patients undergoing total hip or knee arthroplasty with perioperative urinalysis and the effect of a practice change on antimicrobial use. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2017;38:281–286.
28. Juthani-Mehta, M. Asymptomatic bacteriuria and urinary tract infection in older adults. Clin Geriatr Med 2007;23:585–594.
29. Horstman, MJ, Spiegelman, A, Naik, AD, Trautner, BW. National patterns of urine testing during inpatient admission. Clin Infect Dis 2017;65:1199–1205.