1. Bradshaw, PJ, Stobie, P, Knuiman, MW, Briffa, TG, Hobbs, MS. Trends in the incidence and prevalence of cardiac pacemaker insertions in an ageing population. Open Heart 2014;1:e000177.
2. Greenspon, AJ, Patel, JD, Lau, E, et al. Trends in permanent pacemaker implantation in the United States from 1993 to 2009: increasing complexity of patients and procedures. J Am Coll Cardiol 2012;60:1540–1545.
3. Greenspon, AJ, Patel, JD, Lau, E, et al. 16-year trends in the infection burden for pacemakers and implantable cardioverter-defibrillators in the United States 1993 to 2008. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011;58:1001–1006.
4. Voigt, A, Shalaby, A, Saba, S. Rising rates of cardiac rhythm management device infections in the United States: 1996 through 2003. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006;48:590–591.
5. Baman, TS, Gupta, SK, Valle, JA, Yamada, E. Risk factors for mortality in patients with cardiac device-related infection. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 2009;2:129–134.
6. Baddour, LM, Epstein, AE, Erickson, CC, et al. Update on cardiovascular implantable electronic device infections and their management: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 2010;121:458–477.
7. Darouiche, R, Mosier, M, Voigt, J. Antibiotics and antiseptics to prevent infection in cardiac rhythm management device implantation surgery. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 2012;35:1348–1360.
8. de Oliveira, JC, Martinelli, M, Nishioka, SA, et al. Efficacy of antibiotic prophylaxis before the implantation of pacemakers and cardioverter-defibrillators: results of a large, prospective, randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 2009;2:29–34.
9. Bratzler, DW, Dellinger, EP, Olsen, KM, et al. Clinical practice guidelines for antimicrobial prophylaxis in surgery. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2013;70:195–283.
10. Berrios-Torres, SI, Umscheid, CA, Bratzler, DW, et al. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guideline for the prevention of surgical site infection, 2017. JAMA Surg 2017;152:784–791.
11. McDonald, M, Grabsch, E, Marshall, C, Forbes, A. Single- versus multiple-dose antimicrobial prophylaxis for major surgery: a systematic review. Aust N Z J Surg 1998;68:388–396.
12. Rosenberger, LH, Politano, AD, Sawyer, RG. The surgical care improvement project and prevention of post-operative infection, including surgical site infection. Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2011;12:163–168.
13. Branch-Elliman, W, Ripollone, J, Strymish, J, Itani, K, Gupta, K. Unintended consequences of double versus single antimicrobial prophylaxis in patients undergoing cardiac surgery. Paper presented at: Open Forum Infectious Diseases, 2016.
14. Branch-Elliman, W, Ripollone, JE, O’Brien, WJ, et al. Risk of surgical site infection, acute kidney injury, and Clostridium difficile infection following antibiotic prophylaxis with vancomycin plus a beta-lactam versus either drug alone: a national propensity-score-adjusted retrospective cohort study. PLoS Med 2017;14:e1002340.
15. Branch-Elliman, W, Stanislawski, M, Strymish, J, et al. Cardiac electrophysiology laboratories: a potential target for antimicrobial stewardship and quality improvement? Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2016;37:1005–1011.
16. Mehrotra, P, Gupta, K, Strymish, J, et al. Implementation of infection prevention and antimicrobial stewardship in cardiac electrophysiology laboratories: results from the SHEA research network. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2017;38:496–498.
17. Maddox, TM, Plomondon, ME, Petrich, M, et al. A national clinical quality program for Veterans Affairs catheterization laboratories (from the Veterans Affairs clinical assessment, reporting, and tracking program). Am J Cardiol 2014;114:1750–1757.
18. Hensgens, MP, Goorhuis, A, Dekkers, OM, Kuijper, EJ. Time interval of increased risk for Clostridium difficile infection after exposure to antibiotics. J Antimicrob Chemother 2012;67:742–748.
19. Kuntz, JL, Smith, DH, Petrik, AF, et al. Predicting the risk of Clostridium difficile infection upon admission: a score to identify patients for antimicrobial stewardship efforts. Perm J 2016;20:20–25.
20. Mehta, RL, Kellum, JA, Shah, SV, et al. Acute Kidney Injury Network: report of an initiative to improve outcomes in acute kidney injury. Crit Care 2007;11:R31.
21. Bratzler, DW. Surgical care improvement project performance measures: good but not perfect. Clin Infect Dis 2013;56:428–429.
22. Bratzler, DW, Houck, PM, Surgical Infection Prevention Guidelines Writers Working Group, et al. Antimicrobial prophylaxis for surgery: an advisory statement from the National Surgical Infection Prevention Project. Clin Infect Dis 2004;38:1706–1715.
23. Epitools: Epidemiology Tools. R package [computer program] version 0.5-9 2017.
24. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. [computer program]. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing; 2017.
25. Harbarth, S, Samore, MH, Lichtenberg, D, Carmeli, Y. Prolonged antibiotic prophylaxis after cardiovascular surgery and its effect on surgical site infections and antimicrobial resistance. Circulation 2000;101:2916–2921.
26. Poeran, J, Mazumdar, M, Rasul, R, et al. Antibiotic prophylaxis and risk of Clostridium difficile infection after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2016;151:589–597.
27. Bamgbola, O. Review of vancomycin-induced renal toxicity: an update. Ther Adv Endocrinol Metab 2016;7:136–147.
28. Kriaras, I, Michalopoulos, A, Turina, M, Geroulanos, S. Evolution of antimicrobial prophylaxis in cardiovascular surgery. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2000;18:440–446.
29. Remmelts, HH, Meine, M, Loh, P, et al. Infection after ICD implantation: operating room versus cardiac catheterisation laboratory. Neth Heart J 2009;17:95–100.
30. Stevens, V, Dumyati, G, Fine, LS, Fisher, SG, van Wijngaarden, E. Cumulative antibiotic exposures over time and the risk of Clostridium difficile infection. Clin Infect Dis 2011;53:42–48.
31. Vardakas, KZ, Trigkidis, KK, Boukouvala, E, Falagas, ME.
Clostridium difficile infection following systemic antibiotic administration in randomised controlled trials: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2016;48:1–10.
32. Deshpande, A, Pasupuleti, V, Thota, P, et al. Community-associated Clostridium difficile infection and antibiotics: a meta-analysis. J Antimicrob Chemother 2013;68:1951–1961.
33. Kwon, JH, Olsen, MA, Dubberke, ER. The morbidity, mortality, and costs associated with Clostridium difficile infection. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2015;29:123–134.
34. Sohail, MR, Henrikson, CA, Braid-Forbes, MJ, Forbes, KF, Lerner, DJ. Mortality and cost associated with cardiovascular implantable electronic device infections. Arch Intern Med 2011;171:1821–1828.
35. Mull, HJ, Gellad, ZF, Gupta, RT, et al. Factors associated with emergency department visits and hospital admissions after invasive outpatient procedures in the Veterans Health Administration. JAMA Surg 2018. doi: 10.1001/jamasurg.2018.0874.
36. Mull, HJ, Rosen, AK, O’Brien, WJ, et al. Factors associated with hospital admission after outpatient surgery in the Veterans Health Administration. Health Serv Res 2018. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12826.
37. Pindyck, T, Gupta, K, Strymish, J, et al. Validation of an electronic tool for flagging surgical site infections based on clinical practice patterns for triaging surveillance: operational successes and barriers. Am J Infect Control 2018;42:186–190.