1. Hussein, MM, Mooji, JM, Roujouleh, H. Tuberculosis and chronic renal failure. Semin Dial 2003;16:38–44.
2. Richardson, RM. The diagnosis of tuberculosis in dialysis patients. Semin Dial 2012;25:419–422.
3. Chia, S, Karim, M, Elwood, RK, FitzGerald, GM. Risk of tuberculosis in dialysis patients: a population-based study. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 1998;2:989–991.
4. Simon, TA, Paul, S, Wartenberg, D, Tokars, JI. Tuberculosis in hemodialysis patients in New Jersey: a statewide study. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1999;20:607–609.
5. Chou, KJ, Fang, HC, Baik, KH, Hwang, SJ, Yang, WC, Chung, HM. Tuberculosis in maintenance dialysis patients. Nephron 2001;88:138–143.
6. Ahmed, AT, Karter, AJ. Tuberculosis in California dialysis patients. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2004;8:341–345.
7. Klote, MM, Agodoa, LY, Abbot, KC. Risk factors for Mycobacterium tuberculosis in US chronic dialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2006;21:3287–3292.
8. Dobler, CC, McDonald, SP, Marks, GB. Risk of tuberculosis in dialysis patients: a nationwide cohort study. PLoS One 2012;6:e29563.
9. Chitnis, AS, Schecter, GF, Cilnis, M, Robsky, K, Flood, JM, Barry, PM. Epidemiology of tuberculosis cases with end-stage renal disease, California, 2010. Am J Nephrol 2014;39:314–321.
10. Hannah, HA, Miramontes, R, Gandhi, NR. Sociodemographic and clinical risk factors associated with tuberculosis mortality in the United States, 2009–2013. Public Health Reports 2017;132:366–375.
11. Unites States Renal Data System. 2016 USRDS annual data report: epidemiology of kidney disease in the United States. National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Kidney Diseases. Bethesda, MD; 2016.
12. Klote, MM, Agodoa, LY, Abbott, K.
Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection incidence in hospitalized renal transplant patients in the United States, 1998–2000. Am J Transplant 2004;4:1523–1528.
13. Lopez de Castilla, D, Schluger, NW. Tuberculosis following solid organ transplantation. Transpl Infect Dis 2010;12:106–112.
14. Pradhan, RP, Katz, LA, Nidus, BD, Matalon, R, Eisinger, RP. JAMA. 1974;229:798–800.
15. Segall, L, Covic, A. Diagnosis of tuberculosis in dialysis patients: current strategy. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2010;1114–1122.
16. Rogerson, TE, Chen, S, Kok, J, et al. Tests for latent tuberculosis in people with ESRD: a systematic review. Am J Kidney Dis 2013;61:33–43.
17. Ferguson, TW, Tangri, N, Macdonald, K, et al. The diagnostic accuracy of tests for latent tuberculosis infection in hemodialysis patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Transplantation 2015;99:1084–1091.
18. Ayubi, E, Doosti-Irani, A, Sanjari Moghaddam, A, et al. Comparision of Quantiferon-TB Gold In-Tube (QFT-GIT) and tuberculin skin test for diagnosis of latent tuberculosis in hemodialysis patients: a meta-analysis of κ estimates. Epidemiol Infect 2017;145:1824–1833.
19. Tasillo, A, Salomon, JA, Trikalinos, TA, Horsburgh, CR Jr, Marks, SM, Linas, BP. Cost-effectiveness of testing and treatment of latent tuberculosis infection in residents born outside the United States with and without medical comorbidities in a simulation model. JAMA Intern Med 2017; 177:1755–1764.
20. Flood, J, Barry, PM. Mainstreaming latent tuberculosis infection testing and treatment in the United States: who and how. JAMA Intern Med 2017;177:1764–1765.
21. Al-Efraij, K, Mota, L, Lunny, C, Schachter, M, Cook, V, Johnston, J. Risk of active tuberculosis in chronic kidney disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2015;19:1493–1499.
22. Linquist, JA, Rosaia, CM, Riemer, B, Heckman, K, Alvarez, F. Tuberculosis exposure of patients and staff in an outpatient hemodialysis unit. Am J Infect Control 2002;30:307–310.
23. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Tuberculosis transmission in a renal dialysis center—Nevada, 2003. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2004;53:873–875.
24. Winthrop, K, Nyendak, M, Calvet, H, et al. Interferon-gamma release assays for diagnosing Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in renal dialysis patients. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2008;3:1357–1363.
25. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guidelines for the investigation of contacts of persons with infectious tuberculosis. MMWR Recomm Rep 2005;54:1–47.
26. Kato, S, Chmielewski, M, Honda, H, et al. Aspects of immune dysfunction in end-stage renal disease. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2008;3:1526–1523.
27. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Targeted tuberculin testing and treatment of latent tuberculosis. MMWR Recomm Rep 2000;49:1–51.
28. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guidelines for preventing the transmission of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in health-care settings, 2005. MMWR Recomm Rep 2005;54:1–141.
29. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Recommendations for use of an isoniazid-rifapentine regimen with direct observation to treat Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011;60:1650–1653.
30. John, GT, Thomas, PP, Thomas, M, Jeyaseelan, L, Jacob, CK, Shastry, JC. A double-blind randomized controlled trial of primary isoniazid prophylaxis in dialysis and transplant patients. Transplantation 1994;57:1683–1684.
31. Vikrant, S, Agarwal, SK, Gupta, S, et al. Prospective randomized control trial of isoniazid chemoprophylaxis during renal replacement therapy. Transpl Infect Dis 2005;7:99–108.
32. Schechter, M, Zajdenverg, R, Falco, G, et al. Weekly rifapentine/isoniazid or daily rifampin/pyrazinamide for latent tuberculosis in household contacts. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2006;173:922–926.
33. Martinson, NA, Barnes, GL, Moulton, LH, et al. New regimens to prevent tuberculosis in adults with HIV infection. N Engl J Med 2011;365:11–20.
34. Sterling, TR, Villarino, ME, Borisov, AS, et al. Three months of once-weekly rifapentine and isoniazid for M. tuberculosis infection. N Engl J Med 2011;365:2155–2166.
35. De Castilla, DL, Rakita, RM, Spitters, CE, Narita, M, Jain, R, Limaye, AP. Short-course isoniazid plus rifapentine directly observed therapy for latent tuberculosis in solid-organ transplant candidates. Transplantation 2014;97:206–211.
36. Knoll, BM, Nog, R, Wu, Y, Dhand, A. Three months of weekly rifapentine plus isoniazid for latent tuberculosis treatment in solid organ transplant candidates. Infection 2017;45:335–339.
37. Simkins, J, Abbo, LM, Camargo, JF, Rosa, R, Morris, MI. Twelve-week rifapentine plus isoniazid versus 9-month isoniazid for the treatment of latent tuberculosis in renal transplant candidates. Transplantation 2017;101:1468–1472.
38. Lecoeur, HF, Truffot-Pernot, C, Grosset, JH. Experimental short-course preventative therapy of tuberculosis with rifampin and pyrazinamide. Am Rev Respir Dis 1989;140:1189–1193.
39. Hong Kong Chest Service/Tuberculosis Research Centre, Madras/British Medical Research Council. A double-blind placebo-controlled trial of three antituberculosis chemoprophylaxis regimens in patients with silicosis in Hong Kong. Am Rev Respir Dis 1992;145:36–41.
40. Zenner, D, Beer, N, Harris, RJ, Lipman, MC, Stagg, HR, van der Werf, MJ. Treatment of latent tuberculosis infection: an updated network meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med 2017;167:248–255.
41. Page, KR, Sifakis, F, Montes de Oca, R, et al. Improved adherence and less toxicity with rifampin vs isoniazid for treatment of latent tuberculosis: a retrospective study. Arch Intern Med 2006;166:1863–1870.
42. Lardizabal, A, Passannante, M, Kojakali, F, Hayden, C, Reichman, LB. Enhancement of treatment completion for latent tuberculosis infection with 4 months of rifampin. Chest 2006;130:1712–1717.
43. Menzies, D, Dion, MJ, Rabinovitch, B, Mannix, S, Brassard, P, Schwartzman, K. Treatment completion and costs of a randomized trial of rifampin for 4 months versus isoniazid for 9 months. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2004; 170:445–449.
44. Menzies, D, Long, R, Trajman, A, et al. Adverse events with 4 months rifampin or 9 months isoniazid as therapy for latent TB infection: results of a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2008;149:689–697.
45. McGill University. Randomized clinical trial comparing 4RIF vs. 9INH for LTBI treatment-effectiveness. ClinicalTrials.gov website. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00931736. NLM Identifier: NCT00931736. Posted 2009; updated 2017. Accessed February 13, 2018.