1. Kyne, L, Hamel, MB, Polavaram, R, Kelly, CP. Health care costs and mortality associated with nosocomial diarrhea due to Clostridium difficile
. Clin Infect Dis 2002;34:346–353.
2. Desai, K, Gupta, SB, Dubberke, ER, Prabhu, VS, Browne, C, Mast, TC. Epidemiological and economic burden of Clostridium difficile in the United States: estimates from a modeling approach. BMC Infect Dis 2016;16:303.
3. Polage, CR, Gyorke, CE, Kennedy, MA, et al. Overdiagnosis of Clostridium difficile infection in the molecular test era. JAMA Intern Med 2015;175:1792–1801.
4. Madden, GR, Weinstein, RA, Sifri, CD. Diagnostic stewardship for healthcare-associated infections: opportunities and challenges to safely reduce test use. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2018;39:214–218.
6. Madden, GR, German Mesner, I, Cox, HL, et al. Reduced Clostridium difficile tests and laboratory-identified events with a computerized clinical decision support tool and financial incentive. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2018;39:737–740.
7. McGlone, SM, Bailey, RR, Zimmer, SM, et al. The economic burden of Clostridium difficile
. Clin Microbiol Infect 2012;18:282–289.
8. Song, X, Bartlett, JG, Speck, K, Naegeli, A, Carroll, K, Perl, TM. Rising economic impact of clostridium difficile-associated disease in adult hospitalized patient population. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2008;29:823–828.
9. Zhang, D, Prabhu, VS, Marcella, SW. Attributable healthcare resource utilization and costs for patients with primary and recurrent Clostridium difficile infection in the United States. Clin Infect Dis 2018;359:1326–1332.
10. Mathers, AJ, Poulter, M, Dirks, D, Carroll, J, Sifri, CD, Hazen, KC. Clinical microbiology costs for methods of active surveillance for Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2014;35:350–355.