1. Boyce, JM, Pittet, D, Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee/Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America/Association for Professionals in Infection Control/Infectious Diseases Society of America Hand Hygiene Task Force. Guideline for hand hygiene in health-care settings: recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2002;23:S3–S40.
2. Srigley, JA, Furness, CD, Baker, GR, Gardam, M. Quantification of the Hawthorne effect in hand hygiene compliance monitoring using an electronic monitoring system: a retrospective cohort study. BMJ Qual Saf 2014;23:974–980.
3. Srigley, JA, Lightfoot, D, Fernie, G, Gardam, M, Muller, MP. Hand hygiene monitoring technology: protocol for a systematic review. Syst Rev 2013;2:101.
4. Boyce, JM. Hand hygiene compliance monitoring: current perspectives from the USA. J Hosp Infect 2008;70(Suppl 1):2–7.
5. Marra, AR, Moura, DF Jr, Paes, AT, dos Santos, OF, Edmond, MB. Measuring rates of hand hygiene adherence in the intensive care setting: a comparative study of direct observation, product usage, and electronic counting devices. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2010;31:796–801.
6. McGuckin, M, Waterman, R, Govednik, J. Hand hygiene compliance rates in the United States—a one-year multicenter collaboration using product/volume usage measurement and feedback. Am J Med Qual 2009;24:205–213.
7. Morgan, DJ, Pineles, L, Shardell, M, et al. Automated hand hygiene count devices may better measure compliance than human observation. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:955–959.
8. Filho, MA, Marra, AR, Magnus, TP, et al. Comparison of human and electronic observation for the measurement of compliance with hand hygiene. Am J Infect Control 2014;42:1188–1192.
9. Hagel, S, Reischke, J, Kesselmeier, M, et al. Quantifying the Hawthorne effect in hand hygiene compliance through comparing direct observation with automated hand hygiene monitoring. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2015;36:957–962.