3. Kang, C-I, Song, J-H. Antimicrobial resistance in Asia: current epidemiology and clinical implications. Infect Chemother 2013;45:22–31.
4. Lai, C-C, Lee, K, Xiao, Y, et al. High burden of antimicrobial drug resistance in Asia. J Glob Antimicrob Resist. 2014;2:141–147.
6. Hsu, L-Y, Apisarnthanarak, A, Khan, E, Suwantarat, N, Ghafur, A, Tambyah, PA. Carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii and Enterobacteriaceae in South and Southeast Asia. Clin Microbiol Rev 2017;30:1–22.
7. Suwantarat, N, Carroll, KC. Epidemiology and molecular characterization of multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacteria in Southeast Asia. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control 2016;5:15.
8. Barlam, TF, Cosgrove, SE, Abbo, LM, et al. Implementing an antibiotic stewardship program: guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America. Clin Infect Dis 2016;62:e51–e77.
9. Howard, P, Pulcini, C, Levy Hara, G, et al. An international cross-sectional survey of antimicrobial stewardship programmes in hospitals. J Antimicrob Chemother 2015;70:1245–1255.
10. Sing, DYF, Boo, YL, Mukhlis, R, Chin, PW, Hoo, FK. Antimicrobial stewardship program in a Malaysian district hospital: first year experience. Pakistan J Med Sci 2016;32:999–1004.
11. Teng, CB, Lee, W, Yeo, CL, et al. Guidelines for antimicrobial stewardship training and practice. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2012;41:29–34.
12. Tiong, JJL, Loo, JSE, Mai, C-W. Global antimicrobial stewardship: a closer look at the formidable implementation challenges. Front Microbiol 2016;7:1860.
13. Wertheim, HFL, Chandna, A, Vu, PD, et al. Providing impetus, tools, and guidance to strengthen national capacity for antimicrobial stewardship in Viet Nam. PLoS Med 2013;10:e1001429.
14. Antimicrobial stewardship: systems and processes for effective antimicrobial medicine use, August 2015. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) website. https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng15. Published 2015. Accessed November 15, 2017.
15. Pollack, LA, Srinivasan, A. Core elements of hospital antibiotic stewardship programs from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Clin Infect Dis 2014;59 Suppl 3:S97–S100.
16. Baur, D, Gladstone, BP, Burkert, F, et al. Effect of antibiotic stewardship on the incidence of infection and colonisation with antibiotic-resistant bacteria and Clostridium difficile infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis 2017;17:990–1001.
17. Honda, H, Ohmagari, N, Tokuda, Y, Mattar, C, Warren, DK. Antimicrobial stewardship in inpatient settings in the Asia Pacific Region: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis 2017;64:S119–S126.
18. Schuts, EC, Hulscher, MEJL, Mouton, JW, et al. Current evidence on hospital antimicrobial stewardship objectives: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis 2016;16:847–856.
19. Levy Hara, G. Antimicrobial stewardship in hospitals: Does it work and can we do it? J Glob Antimicrob Resist 2014;2:1–6.
20. Nguyen, K Van, Thi Do, NT, Chandna, A, et al. Antibiotic use and resistance in emerging economies: a situation analysis for Viet Nam. BMC Public Health 2013;13:1158.
21. Wang, L, Zhang, X, Liang, X, Bloom, G. Addressing antimicrobial resistance in China: policy implementation in a complex context. Global Health 2016;12:30.
22. Hadi, U, Keuter, M, van Asten, H, van den Broek, P, Study Group “Antimicrobial resistance in Indonesia: Prevalence and Prevention” (AMRIN). Optimizing antibiotic usage in adults admitted with fever by a multifaceted intervention in an Indonesian governmental hospital. Trop Med Int Health 2008;13:888–899.
23. Om, C, Daily, F, Vlieghe, E, McLaughlin, JC, McLaws, M-L. “If it’s a broad spectrum, it can shoot better”: inappropriate antibiotic prescribing in Cambodia. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control 2016;5:58.
24. Dellit, TH, Owens, RC, McGowan, JE, et al. Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America guidelines for developing an institutional program to enhance antimicrobial stewardship. Clin Infect Dis 2007;44:159–177.
25. Doron, S, Davidson, LE. Antimicrobial stewardship. Mayo Clin Proc 2011;86:1113–1123.
26. Akpan, MR, Ahmad, R, Shebl, NA, Ashiru-Oredope, D. A review of quality measures for assessing the impact of antimicrobial stewardship programs in hospitals. Antibiotics 2016;5.
27. Davey, P, Marwick, CA, Scott, CL, et al. Interventions to improve antibiotic prescribing practices for hospital inpatients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017;2:CD003543.
28. Karanika, S, Paudel, S, Grigoras, C, Kalbasi, A, Mylonakis, E. Systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical and economic outcomes from the implementation of hospital-based antimicrobial stewardship programs. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2016;60:4840–4852.
29. Kim, J, Craft, DW, Katzman, M. Building an Antimicrobial stewardship program: cooperative roles for pharmacists, infectious diseases specialists, and clinical microbiologists. Lab Med 2015;46:e65–e71.
30. Waters, CD. Pharmacist-driven antimicrobial stewardship program in an institution without infectious diseases physician support. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2015;72:466–468.
32. Wu, C-T, Chen, C-L, Lee, H-Y, et al. Decreased antimicrobial resistance and defined daily doses after implementation of a clinical culture-guided antimicrobial stewardship program in a local hospital. J Microbiol Immunol Infect 2017;50:846–856.
33. Apisarnthanarak, A, Lapcharoen, P, Vanichkul, P, Srisaeng-Ngoen, T, Mundy, LM. Design and analysis of a pharmacist-enhanced antimicrobial stewardship program in Thailand. Am J Infect Control 2015;43:956–959.
34. Pulcini, C, Botelho-Nevers, E, Dyar, OJ, Harbarth, S. The impact of infectious disease specialists on antibiotic prescribing in hospitals. Clin Microbiol Infect 2014;20:963–972.
35. Schmitt, S, McQuillen, DP, Nahass, R, et al. Infectious diseases specialty intervention is associated with decreased mortality and lower healthcare costs. Clin Infect Dis 2014;58:22–28.
36. Kanter, G, Connelly, NR, Fitzgerald, J. A system and process redesign to improve perioperative antibiotic administration. Anesth Analg 2006;103:1517–1521.
37. Xiao, Y, Zhang, J, Zheng, B, Zhao, L, Li, S, Li, L. Changes in Chinese policies to promote the rational use of antibiotics. PLoS Med 2013;10:e1001556.
38. Loo, LW, Liew, YX, Lee, W, Chlebicki, P, Kwa, AL-H. Impact of antimicrobial stewardship program (ASP) on outcomes in patients with acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections (ABSSSIs) in an acute tertiary care hospital. Infect Dis Ther 2015;4:15–25.
39. Liew, YX, Lee, W, Cai, YY, et al. Utility and safety of procalcitonin in an antimicrobial stewardship program (ASP) in patients with malignancies. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2012;31:3041–3046.
40. Gupta, K, Hooton, TM, Naber, KG, et al. International clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of acute uncomplicated cystitis and pyelonephritis in women: a 2010 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the European Society for Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. Clin Infect Dis 2011;52:e103–e120.
41. Kalil, AC, Metersky, ML, Klompas, M, et al. Management of adults with hospital-acquired and ventilator-associated pneumonia: 2016 clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the American Thoracic Society. Clin Infect Dis 2016;63:e61–e111.
42. Lipsky, BA, Berendt, AR, Cornia, PB, et al. 2012 Infectious Diseases Society of America clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of diabetic foot infections. Clin Infect Dis 2012;54:e132–e173.
43. Stevens, DL, Bisno, AL, Chambers, HF, et al. Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of skin and soft tissue infections: 2014 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2014;59:e10–e52.
44. Falagas, ME, Matthaiou, DK, Bliziotis, IA. The role of aminoglycosides in combination with a beta-lactam for the treatment of bacterial endocarditis: a meta-analysis of comparative trials. J Antimicrob Chemother 2006;57:639–647.
45. Bliziotis, IA, Samonis, G, Vardakas, KZ, Chrysanthopoulou, S, Falagas, ME. Effect of aminoglycoside and beta-lactam combination therapy versus beta-lactam monotherapy on the emergence of antimicrobial resistance: a meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials. Clin Infect Dis 2005;41:149–158.
46. Paul, M, Dickstein, Y, Schlesinger, A, Grozinsky-Glasberg, S, Soares-Weiser, K, Leibovici, L. Beta-lactam versus beta-lactam-aminoglycoside combination therapy in cancer patients with neutropenia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013:CD003038
47. Paul, M, Lador, A, Grozinsky-Glasberg, S, Leibovici, L. Beta lactam antibiotic monotherapy versus beta lactam-aminoglycoside antibiotic combination therapy for sepsis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014;28:CD003344.
48. Tamma, PD, Cosgrove, SE, Maragakis, LL. Combination therapy for treatment of infections with gram-negative bacteria. Clin Microbiol Rev 2012;25:450–470.
49. Falagas, ME, Matthaiou, DK, Karveli, EA, Peppas, G. Meta-analysis: randomized controlled trials of clindamycin/aminoglycoside vs. beta-lactam monotherapy for the treatment of intra-abdominal infections. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2007;25:537–556.
50. Austin, DJ, Kristinsson, KG, Anderson, RM. The relationship between the volume of antimicrobial consumption in human communities and the frequency of resistance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1999;96:1152–1156.
51. Peterson, LR, Samia, NI, Skinner, AM, Chopra, A, Smith, B. Antimicrobial stewardship lessons from mupirocin use and resistance in methicillin-resitant Staphylococcus aureus
. Open Forum Infect Dis 2017;4:ofx093.
52. Sandiumenge, A, Lisboa, T, Gomez, F, Hernandez, P, Canadell, L, Rello, J. Effect of antibiotic diversity on ventilator-associated pneumonia caused by ESKAPE organisms. Chest 2011;140:643–651.
53. Sandiumenge, A, Diaz, E, Rodriguez, A, et al. Impact of diversity of antibiotic use on the development of antimicrobial resistance. J Antimicrob Chemother 2006;57:1197–1204.
54. Teo, J, Kwa, ALH, Loh, J, Chlebicki, MP, Lee, W. The effect of a whole-system approach in an antimicrobial stewardship programme at the Singapore General Hospital. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2012;31:947–955.
55. Apisarnthanarak, A, Danchaivijitr, S, Khawcharoenporn, T, et al. Effectiveness of education and an antibiotic-control program in a tertiary care hospital in Thailand. Clin Infect Dis 2006;42:768–775.
56. Song, YJ, Kim, M, Huh, S, et al. Impact of an antimicrobial stewardship program on unnecessary double anaerobic coverage prescription. Infect Chemother 2015;47:111–116.
57. Teng, CB, Ng, TM, Tan, MW, et al. Safety and effectiveness of improving carbapenem use via prospective review and feedback in a multidisciplinary antimicrobial stewardship programme. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2015;44:19–25.
58. Lew, KY, Ng, TM, Tan, M, et al. Safety and clinical outcomes of carbapenem de-escalation as part of an antimicrobial stewardship programme in an ESBL-endemic setting. J Antimicrob Chemother 2015;70:1219–1225.
59. Levy Hara, G, Kanj, SS, Pagani, L, et al. Ten key points for the appropriate use of antibiotics in hospitalised patients: a consensus from the Antimicrobial Stewardship and Resistance Working Groups of the International Society of Chemotherapy. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2016;48:239–246.
60. Cotta, MO, Roberts, JA, Lipman, J. Antibiotic dose optimization in critically ill patients. Med Intensiva 2015;39:563–572.
61. Morency-Potvin, P, Schwartz, DN, Weinstein, RA. Antimicrobial Stewardship: How the microbiology laboratory can right the ship. Clin Microbiol Rev 2017;30:381–407.
62. Liew, YX, Lee, W, Tay, D, et al. Prospective audit and feedback in antimicrobial stewardship: is there value in early reviewing within 48 h of antibiotic prescription? Int J Antimicrob Agents 2015;45:168–173.
63. Baysari, MT, Lehnbom, EC, Li, L, Hargreaves, A, Day, RO, Westbrook, JI. The effectiveness of information technology to improve antimicrobial prescribing in hospitals: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Med Inform 2016;92:15–34.
64. Cheon, S, Kim, M-J, Yun, S-J, Moon, JY, Kim, Y-S. Controlling endemic multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in intensive care units using antimicrobial stewardship and infection control. Korean J Intern Med 2016;31:367–374.
65. Guo, W, He, Q, Wang, Z, et al. Influence of antimicrobial consumption on gram-negative bacteria in inpatients receiving antimicrobial resistance therapy from 2008–2013 at a tertiary hospital in Shanghai, China. Am J Infect Control 2015;43:358–364.
66. Chen, I-L, Lee, C-H, Su, L-H, Wang, Y-CL, Liu, J-W. Effects of implementation of an online comprehensive antimicrobial-stewardship program in ICUs: a longitudinal study. J Microbiol Immunol Infect 2018;51:55–63.
67. Chow, AL, Ang, A, Chow, CZ, et al. Implementation hurdles of an interactive, integrated, point-of-care computerised decision support system for hospital antibiotic prescription. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2016;47:132–139.
68. Chow, A, Lye, DCB, Arah, OA. Psychosocial determinants of physicians’ acceptance of recommendations by antibiotic computerised decision support systems: a mixed methods study. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2015;45:295–304.
69. Apisarnthanarak, A, Pinitchai, U, Thongphubeth, K, et al. A multifaceted intervention to reduce pandrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii colonization and infection in 3 intensive care units in a Thai tertiary care center: a 3-year study. Clin Infect Dis 2008;47:760–767.
70. Nagel, JL, Kaye, KS, LaPlante, KL, Pogue, JM. Antimicrobial stewardship for the infection control practitioner. Infect Dis Clin N Am 2016;30:771–784.
71. Apisarnthanarak, A, Ratz, D, Greene, MT, Khawcharoenporn, T, Weber, DJ, Saint, S. National survey of practices to prevent health care-associated infections in Thailand: the role of prevention bundles. Am J Infect Control 2017;45:805–810.
72. Zhou, W-J, Luo, Z-N, Tang, C-M, Zou, X-X, Zhao, L, Fang, P-Q. Is there an improvement of antibiotic use in China? Evidence from the usage analysis of combination antibiotic therapy for type I incisions in 244 hospitals. J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci 2016;36:772–779.
73. Zou, X, Fang, Z, Min, R, et al. Is nationwide special campaign on antibiotic stewardship program effective on ameliorating irrational antibiotic use in China? Study on the antibiotic use of specialized hospitals in China in 2011–2012. J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci 2014;34:456–463.
74. Trivedi, KK, Kuper, K. Hospital antimicrobial stewardship in the nonuniversity setting. Infect Dis Clin N Am 2014;28:281–289.
Ng, CK, Wu, TC, Chan, WM, et al. Clinical and economic impact of an antibiotics stewardship programme in a regional hospital in Hong Kong. Qual Saf Health Care 2008;17:387–392.
Hou, D, Wang, Q, Jiang, C, Tian, C, Li, H, Ji, B. Evaluation of the short-term effects of antimicrobial stewardship in the intensive care unit at a tertiary hospital in China. PLoS One 2014;9:e101447.
Takesue, Y, Nakajima, K, Ichiki, K, et al. Impact of a hospital-wide programme of heterogeneous antibiotic use on the development of antibiotic-resistant Gram-negative bacteria. J Hosp Infect 2010;75:28–32.
Chong, Y, Shimoda, S, Yakushiji, H, et al. Antibiotic rotation for febrile neutropenic patients with hematological malignancies: clinical significance of antibiotic heterogeneity. PLoS One 2013;8:e54190.
79. Shen, J, Sun, Q, Zhou, X, et al. Pharmacist interventions on antibiotic use in inpatients with respiratory tract infections in a Chinese hospital. Int J Clin Pharm 2011;33:929–933.
80. Cheng, VC, To, KK, Li, IW, et al. Antimicrobial stewardship program directed at broad-spectrum intravenous antibiotics prescription in a tertiary hospital. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2009;28:1447–1456.
Shi, Q, Ding, F, Sang, R, Liu, Y, Yuan, H, Yu, M. Drug use evaluation of cefepime in the first affiliated hospital of Bengbu medical college: A retrospective and prospective analysis. BMC Infect Dis 2013;13:160.
Ikai, H, Morimoto, T, Shimbo, T, Imanaka, Y, Koike, K. Impact of postgraduate education on physician practice for community-acquired pneumonia. J Eval Clin Pract 2012;18:389–395.
Lin, YS, Lin, IF, Yen, YF, et al. Impact of an antimicrobial stewardship program with multidisciplinary cooperation in a community public teaching hospital in Taiwan. Am J Infect Control 2013;41:1069–1072.
Apisarnthanarak, A, Bhooanusas, N, Yaprasert, A, Mundy, LM. Carbapenem de-escalation therapy in a resource-limited setting. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2013;34:1310–1313.
Park, SM, Kim, HS, Jeong, YM, et al. Impact of intervention by an antimicrobial stewardship team on conversion from intravenous to oral fluoroquinolones. Infect Chemother 2017;49:31–37.
Davies, J, Gordon, CL, Tong, SY, Baird, RW, Davis, JS. Impact of results of a rapid Staphylococcus aureus diagnostic test on prescribing of antibiotics for patients with clustered gram-positive cocci in blood cultures. J Clin Microbiol 2012;50:2056–2058.